The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Accommodation Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imtimp427
Haven't got my letter yet, incase anyone's wondering if they're the only one.
I've firmed OB and thinking of going Paul Kent Hall. Although it's a journey to campuses, while I was on the applicant day, one of the students was saying how in her 1st year she stayed. Social life in the area is great, and it's pretty cheap for Oxford as a whole. You get a buspass anyway so I wouldn't be too worried about travelling.

Paul Kent doesnt have much of a social life (unless you meet other tennants, it has a common room)

Paul Kent, Crescent and Slade Park are on decent bus routes but in rural areas. ( go on google earth and type in OX3 7FN . That shows you where slade park is. Follow the road down 'Hollow Way and you will find Paul Kent and Crescent.)
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by MQ003C
I do have a general question I'd like to bring up about Crescent Hall. If anyone knows here...is it far from the campus? Is it a pain to get the bus to headington hill everyday or is it not that bad walking? The rooms don't look to bad and I hope the people won't be noisy and annoying either but that's something you don't know til you get there.

From Crescent hall to HeadingtonHill/Gipsy Lane you would get the U5 bus. (this takes about 15min (in rush hour)

If you wanted to walk it would be about 35mins (when you know the route)

You could also get the number 4 Oxford Bus Company service to an estate called Wood Farm (about 10 min walk away) and that goes next to Gipsy Lane . (the 4 takes about 5mins to get to Gipsy Lane)
Reply 122
hellooooo..

I have an unconditional offer and received my accommodation letter last week, shall be applying on Monday.

Really wan't to go to Dorset house but worried i'll be stuck with 2/nd/3rd years too. Anyone know if they plan to split them up or will it be random.

It's right next to headington campus too which is a massive bonus as im studying sports science there :smile:

Any help would be greatful, ta!
Reply 123
Original post by lexutza
If you hold an unconditional offer the deadline for applying is 2nd July so then you should get your response regarding accommodation after that date. At the same time if you have a conditional offer, then you have to wait until after the 27th August to find out what halls you got into. Also, if you have an unconditional offer your contract will be available online and you will need to login from 6 July and must be accepted by 10 August 2012 so I assume it doesn't really matter when you get the letter by post or if you do get one with the final accommodation notice.
Hope it helped :smile:

Hey thanx for all that information was very helpful! So all i have to is wait until the 6th of july and find out online where i am gonna live next year! this process is the same for postgraduates too? Thanx
Original post by Kostas88
Hey thanx for all that information was very helpful! So all i have to is wait until the 6th of july and find out online where i am gonna live next year! this process is the same for postgraduates too? Thanx

yes it is. :smile:
Original post by 92James
hellooooo..

I have an unconditional offer and received my accommodation letter last week, shall be applying on Monday.

Really wan't to go to Dorset house but worried i'll be stuck with 2/nd/3rd years too. Anyone know if they plan to split them up or will it be random.

It's right next to headington campus too which is a massive bonus as im studying sports science there :smile:

Any help would be greatful, ta!

I had the same problem, and decided to place it as my second choice, since we have two more years to go there when we are second or third years
Reply 126
Original post by williamrshore
Warning about Dorset House - yes its new and in a great place.

But do not apply if you will be at Wheatley Campus . You will not get on the buses for lectures (eveyone fills them up in oxford and down at gipsy lane.

For wheatley campus Slade Park, Paul Kent Crescent are good choices, aswell as the main ones around the gipsy lane site - Warneford,Clive Booth, Cheney.

If you choose to stay in Wheatley at Lady Spencer theres not much to do it is a typical village with a selection of shops and an Asda, and a couple of pubs. (40-60 mins into Oxford ((rush hour))

Is backtracking to Gypsy lane daily and catching the bus from there a viable option, do you think? I'll be doing masters in motorsport engineering at Wheatley and need a studio suite, not a lot of options for that unfortunately.
Reply 127
Original post by Charlottay!
yes it is. :smile:

:smile: great! Which site? The same OB site as I applied before?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 128
Original post by Kostas88
:smile: great! Which site? The same OB site as I applied before?

Yep, the one where u applied and you use your same login details :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by wju182
Is backtracking to Gypsy lane daily and catching the bus from there a viable option, do you think? I'll be doing masters in motorsport engineering at Wheatley and need a studio suite, not a lot of options for that unfortunately.

You could look at private accommodation for studio flats nearer Wheatley or in Headington, it would be around the same price as the one's in Dorset, admittedly you won't have the same amount of students but it would be easier to secure your flat and get it in a good area. Just my thought :smile: I am going to study a combined degree and will have courses both in Wheatley and Headington so I am probably going to get a shared room or studio somewhere in between the 2 campuses.
Original post by --Lauren
I'm studying Primary Education BA, anyone else applied for Westminister halls? xx

I have, same course too! :smile:
Reply 131
Hey guys i have applied for uni accommodation and i choose the 50 weeks cz i thought i will want extra days for dissertation! Did i do wrong?

Reply 132
Original post by littlelucas
I have, same course too! :smile:

Oh cool! Are you excited?? I really want to see the new halls! x
Reply 133
If you are a conditional offer holder you will find out at the beginning of september. Those with unconditional will find out end of July

Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 134
Finally got around to applying for halls.

1. Paul Kent
2. Clive Booth
3. Clive Booth (Non ES)
4. Crescent
5. Dorset House (A wild stab in the dark)
Original post by --Lauren
Oh cool! Are you excited?? I really want to see the new halls! x

Me too! Have you looked at the design thing on their website? It looks amazing!!
Me too! Have you looked at the design thing on their website? It looks amazing!!

Just to let you know they're so nice! I got to see them on the open day earlier this month and the kitchens and rooms were so spacious- the kitchen had even had 2 large fridge freezers in! :wink:
Original post by Harriet : )
Just to let you know they're so nice! I got to see them on the open day earlier this month and the kitchens and rooms were so spacious- the kitchen had even had 2 large fridge freezers in! :wink:

Works out to about a shelf each. If your lucky.
Original post by Harriet : )

Brilliant! Just have to get the right grades now :wink:
Works out to about a shelf each. If your lucky.

Really? :eek: I thought 2 fridge/freezers between 4/5 people would have meant loads of room!
Brilliant! Just have to get the right grades now :wink:

Haha, I've got all next year to worry about that! What're the interviews like if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest