Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

CIE Further Maths Moment of Inertia

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	questions.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	145700
    Hey guys, I really need your help here. I tried calculating the MI of the object by first summing the sphere's and the particles about the axis C, and then moving both of them to the axis O. by parallel axis theorem it would look like
    [M(4a^2) + 2(3M)(2a)^2/5] + 4M (a^2)

which gives me (64Ma^2)/5. What am I missing? Isn't this method valid?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	answer.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	145701
    Also, I notice that the marking scheme for part (i) is kind of weird. Why did the "3" become "6" all of a sudden after the approximation?

Please help. Thank you.
    • 35 followers

(Original post by johnconnor92)

which gives me (64Ma^2)/5. What am I missing? Isn't this method valid?
    Axis C is not the centre of mass of sphere and particle combination, so you can't apply the parallel axes theorem on the combined mass.

Also, I notice that the marking scheme for part (i) is kind of weird. Why did the "3" become "6" all of a sudden after the approximation?
    The first equation in answer to part (i) is spread over two lines, with two terms in all, each containing -3...., hence on addition -6.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Axis C is not the centre of mass of sphere and particle combination, so you can't apply the parallel axes theorem on the combined mass.
    Why not? In what cases, then, am I able to apply parallel axes theorem on composite objects?
    • 35 followers

Why not? In what cases, then, am I able to apply parallel axes theorem on composite objects?
    When you know the centre of mass. Check out the parallel axes theorem, it doesn't work on any old parallel axes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    When you know the centre of mass. Check out the parallel axes theorem, it doesn't work on any old parallel axes.
    So I can only apply the parallel axes theorem if I first find out the centre of mass of the two objects (which is somewhere below O)?
    • 35 followers

So I can only apply the parallel axes theorem if I first find out the centre of mass of the two objects (which is somewhere below O)?
    If you're working on the combined masses together, then yes.

Which is why the mark scheme works on the individual components.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.