Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to get money when I don't find a job - for months?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Title says everything.

I am really in desperate need of cash.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are you good at? Strengths and weaknesses?

If I heard anyone said they're desperate for money, they would do a cleaners job. I've seen many 'literally' desperate people with no laptop, internet, roof above them. Do these things and they don't complain or can't complain because of ultimate difficulties.

So it depends how desperate you actually are。
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    What are you good at? Strengths and weaknesses?

If I heard anyone said they're desperate for money, they would do a cleaners job. I've seen many 'literally' desperate people with no laptop, internet, roof above them. Do these things and they don't complain or can't complain because of ultimate difficulties.

So it depends how desperate you actually are。
    - I cannot do certain jobs like cleaning, carrying, building, etc. due to a disability.
    - I have thousands (minimum 1000 GBP) to pay or I will be in deep trouble.

I have a roof and internet, yes, because I live with my aunt/family but have zero support from them, and also have zero support from my parents.
    I am sure they will chase me very soon.

Strengths: sector-specific specialties e.g. Finance, languages
    Weaknesses: physical due to disability, too much scattered experiences e.g. startup + entrepreneurial + lots of nonprofit and volunteer work.

Yes, I am one of those who spent their own fortune on non-profit work and experiences but ended up broke as a result >.<
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    ebay.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polygoof)
    - I cannot do certain jobs like cleaning, carrying, building, etc. due to a disability.

I have a roof and internet, yes, because I live with my aunt/family but have zero support from them, and also have zero support from my parents.

Weaknesses: physical due to disability, too much scattered experiences e.g. startup + entrepreneurial + lots of nonprofit and volunteer work.

Yes, I am one of those who spent their own fortune on non-profit work and experiences but ended up broke as a result >.<
    Find something you really enjoy with a passion, that matches your skills and can able to provide you some income.

The fact that you say your interest is in finance and languages, you can become an online tutor, make a website, create youtube videos that helps people to learn.

If people see the benefits, have your own website that assists them in their skills, e.g. 1 on 1 skype voice chat per hour.

Put google ads on your video as it generates some revenue per clicks.

If your videos and your finance and language skills are that good, results will show through views, ratings and comments.

Moving on, this can put you through YouTube partnership however it's their decision whether your eligible.

And of course, as part of the partnership, you cannot disclose to others how much you generate and moving on...if you imagine the millions views (IF you get that) plus rating and comments and subscribes. It helps.

The more videos you post and the more views you get from the video helps.

Bare in mind, more video does not mean more clicks because at the end of the day, it's how well you market and provide services on a professional or fun level.

In which the audience can relate or how you want youtubers to see you.

Remember, we all have pasts but it shouldn't stop us achieving whatsoever. Hence I said, find something you enjoy with a passion and helps the society a better place.

As it seems you like helping people.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polygoof)

Find something you really enjoy with a passion, that matches your skills and can able to provide you some income.

The fact that you say your interest is in finance and languages, you can become an online tutor, make a website, create youtube videos that helps people to learn.

If people see the benefits, have your own website that assists them in their skills, e.g. 1 on 1 skype voice chat per hour.

If your videos and your finance and language skills are that good, results will show through views, ratings and comments.

Moving on, this can put you through YouTube partnership however it's their decision whether your eligible.

And of course, as part of the partnership, you cannot disclose to others how much you generate and moving on...if you imagine the millions views (IF you get that) plus rating and comments and subscribes. It helps.

Bare in mind, more video does not mean more clicks because at the end of the day, it's how well you market and provide services on a professional or fun level.

Remember, we all have pasts but it shouldn't stop us achieving whatsoever. Hence I said, find something you enjoy with a passion and helps the society a better place.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had to sell things when I was in that situation.

I wish I could have gotten a cleaners job, literally couldn't care less what I did. It's pointless having endless time if you've got no money.
    Just keep applying everywhere and see if job centre/ CAB can help you in the mean time.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can't find a job for months, I suggest you sign on for JSA - or even look into ESA and DLA as you say you have a disability. It might not be ideal, but you can't live on thin air. Meanwhile, continue to look hard for a job that you can do in your current condition.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)

Thank you for the suggestion.

This sounds creative and similar to things I have done previously (though for free). However, I wonder whether this can actually help me earn a living, or it's just for weekend pocket money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    If you can't find a job for months, I suggest you sign on for JSA - or even look into ESA and DLA as you say you have a disability. It might not be ideal, but you can't live on thin air. Meanwhile, continue to look hard for a job that you can do in your current condition.
    Say you have a disability?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    Say you have a disability?
    is there an echo in here?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    is there an echo in here?
    Yeah I think so

Why would you say you have a disability?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    Yeah I think so

Why would you say you have a disability?
    You what? I don't have a disability!

Good God man this is like speaking in tongues! Have you actually read the thread? The OP has stated that he has a disability! So I suggested that he can go and look into claiming ESA or DLA!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just a tip...if you play games like runescape you can accumulate ingame stuff and you can sell it in real life for loads depends on the value of the ingame item. rares such as santa hats and party hats sell like hot bread for great amts
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leukybear)
    Just a tip...if you play games like runescape you can accumulate ingame stuff and you can sell it in real life for loads depends on the value of the ingame item. rares such as santa hats and party hats sell like hot bread for great amts
    I don't play any games, especially the online ones sound too complicated.
    Would be quite unhealthy, too.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sell the things that you don't use/need anymore on eBay
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I'm not asking for details of your disability (unless they have been stated and I haven't noticed), but visit the Jobcentre and talk to them about what you can do. My brother has quite severe autism, but they managed to find him work two days a week in a charity shop. So yeah, even though your disability may stop you doing a lot of jobs, there may just be something you are able to do

If you are artistic in any form you could sell things on Etsy or Ebay. Selling things you already own is an option too. Try using MusicMagpie (I think thats what its called) or CEX to trade in old games and CD's. You won't get a fortune, but every little helps. Also, you could envirofone any old phones.

Google adsense is another option if you have a blog, but again you won't get millions. As someone else mentioned, youtube partnership is available.

Also whenever I'm on the bus I see adverts like 'cash for clothes - £2 for every bag' or something. See if there's anything like that available in your local area.

I hear mystery shoppers can get paid good, if you can do that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.