Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bipolar disorder?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014

I thought my mum might be depressed but then it occurred to me that she might be bipolar...I'm not sure i looked it up on google but the symptoms dont really match her. she frequently lashes out over the smallest things, she can be very unpleasant to be around but then other times shes fine....she can be really mean sometimes but on the other hand really nice. she also gets extremely irritable and i feel like everything i do is wrong...she has insomnia, she is not on any medication that i know of

im 18 im doing my a levels and im really worried and i dont know what to do, please help me please, i dont want to tell anyone i know cos i know a few of my friends have been unsympathetic to someone we all know who has or had depression and i dont want them to think that about my mum. i love her loads and im really worried and i want to help her
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it sounds like a very similar situation to me. Is she seeing anyone about her problems first off?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're probably not going to find out what's wrong with her unless you talk to a professional? Maybe you could approach her and tell her you want to help her be happier and talk to someone about it. If that fails you could always speak to someone you trust by yourself to get some proper advice, maybe someone with experience in mental health. People can be really judgemental about mental health, i completely understand where you're coming from if you don't want people to know, but it's good to maybe talk to a trusted friend, it's not good to bottle these things up

(Original post by popsicles3)
    You're probably not going to find out what's wrong with her unless you talk to a professional? Maybe you could approach her and tell her you want to help her be happier and talk to someone about it. If that fails you could always speak to someone you trust by yourself to get some proper advice, maybe someone with experience in mental health. People can be really judgemental about mental health, i completely understand where you're coming from if you don't want people to know, but it's good to maybe talk to a trusted friend, it's not good to bottle these things up
    she'll get pissed off if i tell her to see someone i think. i know she doesnt want to talk about it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    she'll get pissed off if i tell her to see someone i think. i know she doesnt want to talk about it
    Well in that case i think you should go and talk to someone yourself, if that fails then at least try and talk to a friend about it? It's unfair of her to burden you with this, nothing wrong with having bipolar or depression, but it's wrong to take it out on you. You can contact mental health charity Mind here and get some advice from their helpline.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.