The Student Room Group

Green councillor calls for cannabis cafes in Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone who's anti-weed: I very much hope you don't smoke, drink, take any risks in life, and lecture everyone around you constantly who does. Otherwise you're a hypocrite and an idiot who thinks "oh it's illegal so it's frightening and bad".
Reply 21
Original post by TheSurgeon345
Cannabis can cause mental problems and respiratory problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_cannabis#Respiratory_problems

Short term use can also cause respiratory problems, due to the higher temperature at which cannabis burns, which can burn the cilia cells and has the same effect on the lungs as cigarettes.

Well, a comparable danger as cigarettes would suggest a similar treatment as cigarettes :tongue: Age limits, danger photos on packs, hidden from view wouldn't be too hard to require.
Reply 22
at last!!!

YAYYYYY
Original post by Hopple
Well, a comparable danger as cigarettes would suggest a similar treatment as cigarettes :tongue: Age limits, danger photos on packs, hidden from view wouldn't be too hard to require.

Well then, considering the danger of cigarettes, they should be illegal also. The only reason they aren't is because of he income it provides the government.
Reply 24
Well then, considering the danger of cigarettes, they should be illegal also. The only reason they aren't is because of he income it provides the government.

Couldn't cannabis provide income if legalised?
Original post by Psyk
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Anyone who opposes legalisation of cannabis but supports alcohol remaining legal is a hypocrite.

I agree. You don't see weed smokers beating each other up, abusing police, urinating/defecating on the streets, filling up A&E, abusing strangers, committing domestic violence etc. This is all done by alcohol drinkers. Alcohol causes far more social problems than weed does.
Reply 26
To all those with arguments about smoking marijuana damaging lungs. Yes this is true, but smoking it isn't the only way to use its (although it is the most popular). You can put it in any kind of food or even make a tea from it :tongue: and as someone above mention, vaporisers which is effectively breathing in steam.
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
I don't need scientific studies to tell me it has no risks.

when do you ever use scientific studies to form your views?
Original post by Hopple
Couldn't cannabis provide income if legalised?

Anything legalised can provide income, but you shouldn't allow the consumption of a dangerous and harmful chemical for recreation which has been proven to damage health. If you do this only because you become rich then in my opinion you lack morals and ethics. The same goes for tobacco and alcohol.
Reply 29
Anything legalised can provide income, but you shouldn't allow the consumption of a dangerous and harmful chemical for recreation which has been proven to damage health. If you do this only because you become rich then in my opinion you lack morals and ethics. The same goes for tobacco and alcohol.

Fair enough.
Anything legalised can provide income... tobacco and alcohol.

or even more topically, the boom of gambling (esp internet). Don't ever let the government fool you into thinking they care about your well-being, because they don't. it's 'do as I say' not 'do as I do' and in many cases is apparently arbitrary.

Shame on them. I hope Cameron gets hit by a train and no amount of his prancing round with a baby strapped to his chest is going to convince he he's a decent human being. He's not, he's an evil ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Mister Dead
So ****ing what. Since when was it the governments concern to go round banning everything that an individual could choose to use and might have a harmful effect on them. So we happen to be on a ridiculous, brainwashing health trip at the moment. The world wasn't always this way.

If I like it, and I want to smoke it, and if my smoking it isn't harming anyone non-consenting, then anyone that tries to stop me needs to have a good long think about their motivation.

harmful = illegal

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

since the majority of the population are a bunch of brain dead idiots who, if drugs werent illegal, would have managed to top them selves years ago. although that being said i think i justified the legalisation of all harmfull drugs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
The website said marijuana had three times as much tar as a normal fag.

RoflroflroflCOPTER!

The lack of any chemicals in cannabis disagrees with you.

I could go on and on about how a lot of you are idiots, but frankly I don't have the energy to do so tonight. Instead, I'm going to get stoned, watch a film or two, play on the N64, and eat my bodyweight in food. And do you know what? I'm not harming anybody by doing so :h:

The same, however, can't be said for those who go out on the piss, spend all night drinking Stella, then go around trying to beat people up because they can't handle their alcohol.

Needless to say, I support the idea of Cannabis Coffeeshops in Britain in it's entirety, it'll be good for the economy, and I don't need more reasons than that (it may start in Brighton, but it'll soon spread).
Sensible people realise it is harmful and therefore don't touch the stuff. It should remain illegal.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

I think you'll find the only people who deem it harmful are people who have never used it. Cannabis is obviously not harmful, and an overwhelming proportion of studies have shown that. Lots of things can be potentially harmful, red meat, Pepsi, mobile phones - those things aren't banned. To claim it is illegal on the basis that is causes significant harm to people is absolute rubbish, and you know that.
Original post by cl_steele
since the majority of the population are a bunch of brain dead idiots who, if drugs werent illegal, would have managed to top them selves years ago. although that being said i think i justified the legalisation of all harmfull drugs.

they're here to serve us, not to enforce a long list of petty acts and passtimes that are banned. You may gamble your money away but you may not take psilocybin mushrooms. You may sit and eat junk food all day until you are unable to move properly but you may not take amphetamines. It's not their ****ing business. You've probably noticed that the human race is doing quite well.

And that's not to mention that a lot of these activitites, often harmful ones, have social, spiritual, medicinal etc etc benefits to them.

In Spain, when the Correfoc is on, men dress as dragons and chase kids through the streets, firing rockets from the mouth of the dragon. The kids pile on scarves and balaclavas and gloves etc and they run for their lives. I remember my little cousins getting home and twhen they peeled off the scarves they were crying tears of fear and joy - they were delirious.

That's ****ing living mate, and that's what this, and the last government are on some weird crusade to stop.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
they're here to serve us, not to enforce a long list of petty acts and passtimes that are banned. You may gamble your money away but you may not take psilocybin mushrooms. You may sit and eat junk food all day until you are unable to move properly but you may not take amphetamines. It's not their ****ing business. You've probably noticed that the human race is doing quite well.

And that's not to mention that a lot of these activitites, often harmful ones, have social, spiritual, medicinal etc etc benefits to them.

In Spain, when the Correfoc is on, men dress as dragons and chase kids through the streets, firing rockets from the mouth of the dragon. The kids pile on scarves and balaclavas and gloves etc and they run for their lives. I remember my little cousins getting home and twhen they peeled off the scarves they were crying tears of fear and joy - they were delirious.

That's ****ing living mate, and that's what this, and the last government are on some weird crusade to stop.

how is having a rocket launched at you living ? :s-smilie: why dont i just pull out a machine gun and run through the streets with it, same effect ... people will run for their lives..?

theyre here to represent the people not be our personal drug dealer? please give me one valid reason why people should be allowed to smoke crack, shoot heroin etc? especially when they will inevitably get ill, OD and start stealing to afford their habit the state then has to intervene? i dont want my taxes being pissed into the NHS to save some crack head who knew full well what would happen when he started playing with the stuff... this isnt to say all drugs have these effects, something petty like weed who cares people can get as stoned as they like but it appears what youre arguing for is a complete unbanning of all illegal drugs, many of which do have a very good reason for being banned..

what activities are these?

yeah what would you definie as doing well? the hundreds of thousands killed in wars each year, the countless people dying due to hunger and disease etc? the obsession with money and only one self? some would argue the human race is little more than a self destructive and decadant species that is quite happily trundling along off a cliff face onto the rocks below... but as i said depends how you want to define it doesnt it.
(edited 11 years ago)
please give me one valid reason why people should be allowed to smoke crack, shoot heroin etc?.....

Because it's their body. It's basically the only thing we own and can choose to do as we please with. I'm not having sex with your children, i'm sticking some ground up and treated plant up my nose. Who on Earth do you think you are to tell me what's good for me?
Original post by Drunk Punx
RoflroflroflCOPTER!

The lack of any chemicals in cannabis disagrees with you.

I could go on and on about how a lot of you are idiots, but frankly I don't have the energy to do so tonight.

Well that's certainly the worse argument I've ever heard. I'm not even blindly believing anyone, I just tend to not take seriously anyone who says 'believe me because it's coming out of my mouth and I don't need to provide evidence to back myself up'.
Reply 38
Because it's their body. It's basically the only thing we own and can choose to do as we please with. I'm not having sex with your children, i'm sticking some ground up and treated plant up my nose. Who on Earth do you think you are to tell me what's good for me?

and if it only affected them no one would care so much but it doesnt, the drugs trade has led to the death of countless people destroyed families and countries and with regards to its affects here it costs us the British tax payer money to sort out these idiots, why should my hard earned pounds go to treating or rehabilitating these people..? plus the crime associated with these drugs, how do you think the vast majority of addicts afford their drugs? it isnt by hard work.
and with regards to who am i to tell you? someone who's actually read what a doctors opinion on the subject is, somehow ci think theyre a bit more informed on this matter than you could ever be.
and if it only affected them no one would care so much but it doesnt, the drugs trade has led to the death of countless people destroyed families and countries and with regards to its affects here it costs us the British tax payer money to sort out these idiots, why should my hard earned pounds go to treating or rehabilitating these people..? plus the crime associated with these drugs, how do you think the vast majority of addicts afford their drugs? it isnt by hard work.

You're labouring under several rather stupid and misinformed assumptions:

1. You can control/eradicate the drug trade (you can't)
2. The drug trade is responsible only for destruction (it's not). Some of the biggest cities in the USA only exist because of investment from the drugs trade. The great Columbian national football team of the mid nineties. That was only able to exist and take the USA world cup by storm thanks to funding from the drug trade. Obviously these are just a couple of examples that spring to mind.
3. Most addicts are criminals (they're not)

If I made a list of other recources that have lead to death, destruction etc etc we'd be here all night.

and with regards to who am i to tell you? someone who's actually read what a doctors opinion on the subject is, somehow ci think theyre a bit more informed on this matter than you could ever be.

I'm sorry mate but that appeal to authority really counts for nothing whatsoever
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending