The Student Room Group

Going to the CMHT for depression and social anxiety

I have been referred to the cmht but I only have depression and social anxiety. I'm thinking of not going and cancelling all my appointments. I thought the CMHT was for people with serious mental health problems like schizophrenia. What are your thoughts on someone going with depression and social anxiety?
Reply 1
It is probably a good idea to go so that you can see what they have to offer. I don't know what area you are on but in the area I am in the CMHT can provide support and help for people with all sorts of mental illness. They are often the people who can set up something called cognitive behaviour therapy which is often very helpful for people with depression. It is always worth a try and if you don't think that they can help you, you can always say that to them after your first session.

It is not uncommon for people with depression to be referred because as I said they treat many different sorts and severity of mental illness.

:smile:
Reply 2
The things you've been diagnosed with can be very serious (although hopefully not in your case) - I've seen various mental health teams for my depression, and it can be a good way to bypass some of the waiting lists for stuff like being assessed by a psychologist. I agree with randdom that you should at least see what they have to offer, after all somebody thought it was worthwhile for you to be referred, so I doubt you'd be wasting anyone's time. :smile:

Quick Reply