Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Career and University Help!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am so confused about my career options and university. It's all a long story but here goes...

I want to be a police officer, a victim support officer or a counsellor. I applied to university but decided to withdraw my application and go to college to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services. I have 13 GCSE's ranging from A* to C and have AS Levels (CCDE) and am predicted BBB at A-Level.

The trouble is I don't know what course to do at university. I want a clear route into all of the careers, if that is possible.

Sorry for the waffling, I just need help.

P.S - Would a degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice and Psychology be good or not?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone :'(
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't do that particular BTEC rather than a degree... Psychology is good but to become a qualified counselling psychologist , post-graduate study would be needed and it's very competitive. Also, maybe think about Social Care, the skills learnt are very applicable? It might be worth thinking about how you want to help people; practically, emotionally? Do you want them to come to you or you to go to them?

Counselling I know somewhat about, as my mother (now) is one... she did a certificate in counselling skills and then a diploma in counselling. It might be worth speaking to a local nfp counsellors, (there's usually one for young people that's charity run) as they accept a lot of trainee counsellors... even just some shadowing experience would be helpful.

You could also always volunteer with your local police force by becoming a Special Constable, to give you the experience to see if it's for you? 16 hours a month.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't rush into making a decision just because you think you should be going to uni - there is nothing wrong with taking a gap year/two years and getting work experience, so that you have a better idea of what you want to do.

You could always look into combined courses in things like psychology/criminology/counselling.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopingforuni12)
    Hey, I am so confused about my career options and university. It's all a long story but here goes...

I want to be a police officer, a victim support officer or a counsellor. I applied to university but decided to withdraw my application and go to college to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services. I have 13 GCSE's ranging from A* to C and have AS Levels (CCDE) and am predicted BBB at A-Level.

The trouble is I don't know what course to do at university. I want a clear route into all of the careers, if that is possible.

Sorry for the waffling, I just need help.

P.S - Would a degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice and Psychology be good or not?
    There are various routes you could take.

If you wished to go down the counselling route there are a number of courses you can do, however, it is best to make sure it is a course accredited by the BACP. A list of uni courses is here

This is a page on how to become a victim support officer. And here is a company that offers the opportunity to volunteer as this.

In terms of policing I'm not sure what the study requirements are however again there are a number of university courses offered in policing studies and the like. Many of which will have you working as a PCSO and which will give you a foothold in the police.

As your unsure it may be worth doing volunteering in these areas whilst doing a regular job. For example, if you volunteer as a victim support officer you will have experience in that, counselling victims and build up a better knowledge of the police force. Again as a PCSO you will meet victims of crime and have to talk to them along with getting a foot in the police. University is not a necessity.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am really confused...I really just want to keep my career options open. I wouldn't mind going into any of the areas.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well nothing rules you out of any of those careers, as there are no requirements degree wise for becoming any of those professions... some just require further study once you've decided what you want to do (counselling for instance), so do what you want!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well to get into the university I want you have to have a law-relates qualification. Thats why I am going to college for two years until i am 20. I was thinking about doing a degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice and Psychology? Would that be good?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopingforuni12)
    Well to get into the university I want you have to have a law-relates qualification. Thats why I am going to college for two years until i am 20. I was thinking about doing a degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice and Psychology? Would that be good?
    As good as any other degree! Make sure you get some experience both while at college and during uni, because you never know, with your experience you might change your mind about career plan!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would be a good idea. I have already been a peer mentor so I guess that is counselling people. I didnt get a good grade at AS for psychology so I am wondering if doing a degree with psychology in it is a waste of time. Plus dont you need psychology to get onto a counselling post grad degree?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, as it's not a counselling post grad degree normally, but a diploma -

See this website

http://www.bacp.co.uk/accreditation/...arch/index.php
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So basically it's not the degree that counts it is the experience you have. Just wondering too...what types of counselling can you go into?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.