Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to convert answer to Standard Form using calculator?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do I convert an answer to Standard Form using the following calculator?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991...tp_s2_edpp_url

In Physics calculations, I sometimes get big numbers like 3000000, and I prefer not to waste time counting the number of 0's (I could also miscount accidentally).. If I press the S <--> D button nothing happens. There must be a way to convert an answer to standard form?

Thanks
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)

In Physics calculations, I sometimes get big numbers like 3000000, and I prefer not to waste time counting the number of 0's (I could also miscount accidentally).. If I press the S <--> D button nothing happens. There must be a way to convert an answer to standard form?

Thanks
    There may be a special button or perhaps you can set up the calculator to show standard form. However, one way is to use common sense to trick the calculator. Multiply by one followed by six noughts, this may result in the calculator displaying in standard form and THEN subtract 6 from the index. If this does not work then repeat and this time subtract 12 from the index.

If the number is small, then divide by one followed by 6 noughts, and ADD 6 to the index.

I suggest always using a million then you will remember to adjust the index by 6, or 12 etc
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)

Thanks
    on your calculator, theres a button called ENG... after you have the answer, press that button
    for example... type 1000000 into the calculator, press the = button, then press ENG

that s-d button is probably just for converting between decimal and fraction/mixed fraction...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    on your calculator, theres a button called ENG... after you have the answer, press that button
    for example... type 1000000 into the calculator, press the = button, then press ENG

that s-d button is probably just for converting between decimal and fraction/mixed fraction...

(Original post by steve2005)
    There may be a special button or perhaps you can set up the calculator to show standard form. However, one way is to use common sense to trick the calculator. Multiply by one followed by six noughts, this may result in the calculator displaying in standard form and THEN subtract 6 from the index. If this does not work then repeat and this time subtract 12 from the index.

If the number is small, then divide by one followed by 6 noughts, and ADD 6 to the index.

I suggest always using a million then you will remember to adjust the index by 6, or 12 etc
    Thanks! I think I will go with the ENG button method (as its simpler). steve2005 I tried +rep you but it says I have reached the limit..

Btw whoever negged me, I don't care lol
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shift

setup

7: Sci
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    on your calculator, theres a button called ENG... after you have the answer, press that buttonfor example... type 1000000 into the calculator, press the = button, then press ENG
    I think ENG gives answers like x times 10^3 , or x times 10^6 , or x times 10^9 I don't think ENG is standard form . See below
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-04 at 16.02.48.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	145750  
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think ENG gives answers like x times 10^3 , or x times 10^6 , or x times 10^9 I don't think ENG is standard form - I may be wrong.
    ive noticed the multiples of 3, which i find annoying...

i assume this may be because standard form also means standard units need to be used when appropriate

i.e.

10000m could be 1x10^4 m (which i would personally like)
    but then you could also just do 10x10^3m and since 10^3m is 1km, you can easily use standard units if you memorised them (main ones usually go up in multiples of 3 i.e. terra (12), giga (9), mega (6) kilo(3), apart from small ones near index 0 i.e. deci (cant remember, think thats either 2,-1, or -2).

so 10000m = 10x10^3= 10km

what i do to get around this is just press eng, then divide/multiply by a couple of 10's and add/subtract said couple onto the index
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive noticed the multiples of 3, which i find annoying...

i assume this may be because standard form also means standard units need to be used when appropriate

i.e.

10000m could be 1x10^4 m (which i would personally like)
    but then you could also just do 10x10^3m and since 10^3m is 1km, you can easily use standard units if you memorised them (main ones usually go up in multiples of 3 i.e. terra (12), giga (9), mega (6) kilo(3), apart from small ones near index 0 i.e. deci (cant remember, think thats either 2,-1, or -2).

so 10000m = 10km

what i do to get around this is just press eng, then divide by a couple of 10's and add said couple onto the index
    Manual http://support.casio.com/pdf/004/fx-...1ES_PLUS_E.pdf

This might be useful
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-04 at 16.07.17.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	145751  
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Manual http://support.casio.com/pdf/004/fx-...1ES_PLUS_E.pdf

This might be useful
    that is quite useful, though its a bit awkward trying to remember mode set ups in a timed exam, id rather stick to my dividing/multiplying by 10 haha

id imagine it would be fine for me to use in coursework though, thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    Shift

setup

7: Sci
    Thanks! How do you get out of sci mode?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shift

Setup

8: Norm

Then choose 1 or 2. I prefer 2.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    Shift

Setup

8: Norm

Then choose 1 or 2. I prefer 2.
    What is the difference between the two? Also which one is the original setting? (as I wish to return to that setting)

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm confused. I type 55500000 into calc then ENG it but it gives me 55.5x 10^6. So what exactly is the ENG button then if it's not standard form?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 3, 2013
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.