Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NEED HELP eating to much

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    basically i eat normal meal ets... but then around four and in the evening at like 7 I tend to have a massive urge to eat things like toast and biscuits and then can stop... What can I do? I know its stupid but I am terrified of gaining weight. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Happens to me too. It's a boredom thing mostly. Find something to do in the evenings that takes your mind off comfort eating, like jogging/swimming/playing squash/whatever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    drink beer. easy
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShouldbeSmart)
    I know its stupid but I am terrified of gaining weight. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Don't eat so much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Happens to almost everyone I know. The answer: eat lots of oats and muesli (make sure it doesn't have extra sugar and stuff added). Because it makes you so full and takes so long to digest you can basically eat as much of it as you can, you won't get fat, and your blood sugar levels and sugar cravings will stabilise after a few weeks. Eventually you will find yourself needing less of it to keep you full and eventually your cravings will diminish greatly. You can/should still eat a few biscuits or chocolate each day though otherwise you will go insane out of wanting them. Just don't overdo it. Also make sure you eat it with semi-skimmed not full fat milk. Don't listen to advice like 'drink loads of water as a substitute/until you explode'. If you're hungry, you need to eat. You just need to eat the right stuff.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShouldbeSmart)
    basically i eat normal meal ets... but then around four and in the evening at like 7 I tend to have a massive urge to eat things like toast and biscuits and then can stop... What can I do? I know its stupid but I am terrified of gaining weight. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Ever time you feel hungry, just drink water, its 0 calories and it'll be good for your kidneys
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    just find other stuff to snack on, its probably what you're eating so far thats making you crave that. make sure you have a balanced diet and i snack on bananas and fruit when i get carb cravings which is like all the time
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the normal meals that you eat, try adding more protein to them, whether it be dairy, meat, fish, pulses etc.

Protein keeps you fuller for longer, as well as filling you up faster.

I also find that if I'm temped to binge keeping my hands busy (obviously) prevents me from doing so, so I'll play a computer game or I'll go outside for a walk or skype somebody or something. Anything that works as a distraction.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fight the urges, your body wants to eat then because it is used to eating then.
    Try going on night shifts and you'll see what I mean, every time I've worked nights, for the first couple of weeks I am never hungry during working hours because my body is not used to eating late at night.

Eat more protein in your evening meal and eat it later, don't skimp on carbohydrates though, not enough complex carbs can make you feel extremely tired particularly if you body is used to a high carb diet. Eating at set times is good for your body (not in terms of metabolism as is a common myth) but in other ways such as controlling hunger and sleep.

Eating first thing in the morning at the same time every day helps control your bodys natural circadian rythm so it is easier for your body to wake up naturally in the morning. Not eating 4 hours before bed will result in a deeper sleep. Lunch is fair game I've actually not found a reason to eat lunch at a set time, I usually eat it about 12 just to keep blood sugar levels up during the afternoon thus boosting my productivity but everyones different on that front, you could just snack all afternoon instead of eating lunch and it would do the same job (an approach many people prefer).

It's a case of will power, control your urges and it'll get easier. And if you're worried about weight gain, get some excercise, you'll always feel better for getting more excercise. Being skinny isn't the same as being healthy.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.