The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Applied Maths: Mechanics advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I self studied it this year and it was fine! The first two units are basically made up of a mix of higher maths (vectors ect) with physics (equations of motion, work, power etc) with a bit of advanced higher physics like angular motion as well a few new things like using calculus with power/work and impulse which is reasonably simple. There is more deriving general equations than in physics though so you should have a look at some of the past papers. The third unit is almost entirely stuff covered in the maths advanced higher and that usually makes up about 40% of the exam so you only really have to teach yourself the first two units.
I dont think unis generally specifically ask for it in prospectuses but this year I studied AH physics, maths, applied maths and chemistry and my offer from Imperial (for aeronautical engineering) is for physics, maths and applied maths. None of my other offers included it specifically but I think it does look good to English unis especially since a lot of English students applying for physics/maths type courses will be doing further maths as a third A-level.
Reply 21
Original post by Rogan27
I self studied it this year and it was fine! The first two units are basically made up of a mix of higher maths (vectors ect) with physics (equations of motion, work, power etc) with a bit of advanced higher physics like angular motion as well a few new things like using calculus with power/work and impulse which is reasonably simple. There is more deriving general equations than in physics though so you should have a look at some of the past papers. The third unit is almost entirely stuff covered in the maths advanced higher and that usually makes up about 40% of the exam so you only really have to teach yourself the first two units.
I dont think unis generally specifically ask for it in prospectuses but this year I studied AH physics, maths, applied maths and chemistry and my offer from Imperial (for aeronautical engineering) is for physics, maths and applied maths. None of my other offers included it specifically but I think it does look good to English unis especially since a lot of English students applying for physics/maths type courses will be doing further maths as a third A-level.

Aw that sounds not too bad! How did you find the workload overall?

The school isn't particularly keen (at all) about letting us self teach this... They're going to check with other schools in the area to see if the do it, but I'm not sure if there are any. I'm definitely going to try and persuade them, but if it comes down to it and there not having it there is a way to pay to sit at a college or something isn't there?

Also, did you use a particular textbook? There isn't actually one for the course is there?

Thank you!
Reply 22
Original post by ..lauren
Aw that sounds not too bad! How did you find the workload overall?

The school isn't particularly keen (at all) about letting us self teach this... They're going to check with other schools in the area to see if the do it, but I'm not sure if there are any. I'm definitely going to try and persuade them, but if it comes down to it and there not having it there is a way to pay to sit at a college or something isn't there?

Also, did you use a particular textbook? There isn't actually one for the course is there?

Thank you!

The workload was not too bad since it was only really the two units that I needed to learn, I pretty much finished them by the end of January without working ridiculously hard (although I did spend most of my study periods working since I was doing 4 advanced highers). My school wasn't incredibly keen about the idea to start with either so you might be able to persuade them. You could probably do it through a college but really it may not be worth it if you are definitely applying to only Scottish unis. I haven't heard of any Scottish unis asking for 3 advanced highers as conditions so I think at most they will ask for AH maths and physics if anything.
I didn't use any specific textbook but my maths teacher managed to get me some awesome booklets for the first two units that basically went through the arrangements document from the sqa website. It had a page from that saying what you needed to know and then went through it and had a few worked examples to show how it appears in exams. Someone in your maths department might be able to find something like that anyway and you probably wont need much more since it really is mainly stuff from higher maths and advanced higher physics!
Reply 23
Original post by Rogan27
The workload was not too bad since it was only really the two units that I needed to learn, I pretty much finished them by the end of January without working ridiculously hard (although I did spend most of my study periods working since I was doing 4 advanced highers). My school wasn't incredibly keen about the idea to start with either so you might be able to persuade them. You could probably do it through a college but really it may not be worth it if you are definitely applying to only Scottish unis. I haven't heard of any Scottish unis asking for 3 advanced highers as conditions so I think at most they will ask for AH maths and physics if anything.
I didn't use any specific textbook but my maths teacher managed to get me some awesome booklets for the first two units that basically went through the arrangements document from the sqa website. It had a page from that saying what you needed to know and then went through it and had a few worked examples to show how it appears in exams. Someone in your maths department might be able to find something like that anyway and you probably wont need much more since it really is mainly stuff from higher maths and advanced higher physics!

I hope I can persuade them, and if I can't I'll probably give it a miss. I'm already doing three advanced higher (maths, physics and RMPS), but I might either drop out of advanced RMPS or higher philosophy if they let me do it.
I should be able to get help from the maths department, because I do really like all of the teaches I've ever had.
I don't know if I want to apply to English unis... I haven't decided yet. But I want to keep my options open and advanced RMPS is hardly relevant.
Anyway, thanks again!
I hope I can persuade them, and if I can't I'll probably give it a miss. I'm already doing three advanced higher (maths, physics and RMPS), but I might either drop out of advanced RMPS or higher philosophy if they let me do it.
I should be able to get help from the maths department, because I do really like all of the teaches I've ever had.
I don't know if I want to apply to English unis... I haven't decided yet. But I want to keep my options open and advanced RMPS is hardly relevant.
Anyway, thanks again!

Hey, did you end up doing AH applied maths mechanics?
I'm considering doing it next year, but have no clue if my school will let me. I haven't asked yet :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by jadoreétudier
Hey, did you end up doing AH applied maths mechanics?
I'm considering doing it next year, but have no clue if my school will let me. I haven't asked yet :smile:

Nope, they didn't let me and I didn't try hard enough to fight my case. I still wish I had though!
Nope, they didn't let me and I didn't try hard enough to fight my case. I still wish I had though!

Aww :frown: thanks for replying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending