The Student Room Group

Homophobic pastor in USA says: "Beat up your kids if they look/act gay"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by concubine
No. You'll notice, if you actually pay any attention, that the majority that "preach 'freedom of speech'" are those that genuinely believe that people should be entitled to voice their opinions, whatever they may be.

Those that are 'wrong-doing' are, ironically, quite often against true freedom of speech, e.g. retarded religious people that shout out their hatred of others for whatever bull**** reasons whilst being against, for example, my saying of blasphemous things.

Please don't use words like 'retarded'. They're extremely negative and can be perceived as offensive. Please don't post offensive, because they can result in warning points or a ban.

Hey Freedom of speech.
Original post by rainbow.panda
I will never understand why people feel the need to come out and say awful things like that. To advocate and even encourage violence towards people because of something that is out of their control, makes me hesitate to call them human. They are real monsters.

Please expand upon this.
Reply 42
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Please expand upon this.

Im assuming they mean that its ridiculous to encourage violence towards people due to their sexuality, something that isn't a choice.
Original post by Mr.Zen
Wow, that's corrupt bro. What is it with some people? They need to get their head screwed on straight.

No matter how tight you screw some screws on, they will always remain loose. :mad:
Reply 44
I don't want to silence your speech completely. I'm not talking about The Third Reich kind of freedom of speech limits, I simply believe there are some things people should not be allowed to say.

Well thank you for coming clean about being a hypocrite. I believe speech has to have some limitations, but those limitations must only be the likes of the American's First Amendment - that is to say as long as they don't incur 'fighting words'.

Freedom of speech is an ideology.

You don't say!? It's also protected under Human Rights.

If I insult a police officer continually, I'll get arrested.

Well you have to define 'insult' - you can't get arrested simply for calling someone a dickhead.

If I call a homosexual a faggot bum***** or whatever, I'd get suspended.
If I call a black person a ****** I'll get arrested.

Here you would, not in America.

And these are the limits your 'freedom of speech' should not pass.

Well that's your belief, not mine. You've already made it clear that you don't want those who disagree with you to speak out - facist much??? You contradicted yourself. And you might not like what racists etc. say or think but you have no right to stop them saying, thinking or believing their opinions - the only aspect which is not entirely clear is 'saying'; in the UK we limit this because we are a nanny state, in the US they don't. I prefer the latter of two - it may mean you have to encounter more ********s but you are free to the best possible extent. But I can see someone like you would want to suppress free speech anywhere because you can't stand the thought of someone having a different belief to you, or someone having a 'wrong-doing' belief. You truly are the epitome of hypocritical facism.

And you still have not replied to my example of Iran, or my example of physical action vs. words - it only suggests one thing to me :tongue:

Original post by Miracle Day
Please don't use words like 'retarded'. They're extremely negative and can be perceived as offensive.

Don't use words like 'idiot' then please :frown: They cause so much offense to anyone and we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kiss

Well thank you for coming clean about being a hypocrite. I believe speech has to have some limitations, but those limitations must only be the likes of the American's First Amendment - that is to say as long as they don't incur 'fighting words'.

I've not contradicted myself once. You're just taking things literal, when my point is fairly obvious. I have no idea about "American's First Amendment" but I've already told you what I believe the limitations should be, and so have no interest in looking them up.

Original post by Kiss

Here you would, not in America.

Wrong.

Original post by Kiss
Well you have to define 'insult' - you can't get arrested simply for calling someone a dickhead.

Ahh, the typical case of nit-picking on TSR. You know full well what I mean, if someone's constantly insulting a police officer and the officer perceives it as extremely offensive, for example if he was black and was being called a n****** he'd have the right to arrest them.

Original post by Kiss

Well that's your belief, not mine. You've already made it clear that you don't want those who disagree with you to speak out - facist much??? You contradicted yourself. And you might not like what racists etc. say or think but you have no right to stop them saying, thinking or believing their opinions - the only aspect which is not entirely clear is 'saying'; in the UK we limit this because we are a nanny state, in the US they don't. I prefer the latter of two - it may mean you have to encounter more ********s but you are free to the best possible extent. But I can see someone like you would want to suppress free speech anywhere because you can't stand the thought of someone having a different belief to you, or someone having a 'wrong-doing' belief. You truly are the epitome of hypocritical facism.

Actually, it seems I do have the right. If it's online, I can report them to relevant authorities. If it's in school, I can report them to my teachers. If it's on the street, and I have relevant proof I can report it to the police. "thinking" or "Believing" is completely irrelevant to this debate, because we're talking about "speech" so I'll ignore that.

And no, I can't stand the thought of someone being hurt or upset, which could have easily been avoided if laws to stop them saying such hurtful things were in place. And guess what, they are. :smile:. I'm not a fascist, infact I'm thinking of people here. My views are perfectly tolerable, because guess what.. where we live my views are law. I'm not trying to enforce strict obedience to society, I'm trying to enforce what's right based on my moral beliefs and the moral code set by society. Don't try to argue who are we to decide what's morally right or wrong, because we've decided it and the majority are contempt with it.

I have no interests in arguing with you, what has no direct effect on me. If you care so much about this, move to America and do the UK a favour.

Original post by Kiss

And you still have not replied to my example of Iran, or my example of physical action vs. words - it only suggests one thing to me :tongue:

Because I don't comment on things I know little about. I can put forth my argument without having any specific knowledge on those examples, and have done so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Please expand upon this.

As in, it is ridiculous to encourage violence against somebody based on something they cannot change, in this case, sexual orientation
Original post by Jester94
As in, it is ridiculous to encourage violence against somebody based on something they cannot change, in this case, sexual orientation

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
Reply 48
Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

You mean apart from the numerous former gay-conversion programme runners who have come out (pardon the pun) recently and said that it doesn't work?
Original post by Jester94
You mean apart from the numerous former gay-conversion programme runners who have come out (pardon the pun) recently and said that it doesn't work?

Yes that is what I asked rainbow.panda.

Also I'm having trouble working out where the pun is in your question. Please inform me of its whereabouts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by prog2djent
Speaking of belts, I bet that's what he tells people to use a dicipline tool for those that disobey their parents and prayer.

He probably also brings a belt when going to see his erm... buddy. You know... that guy tied up in his basement. :wink:

Also I'm having trouble working out where the pun is in your question. Please inform me of its whereabouts.

http://www.afer.org/news/%E2%80%9Ci-owe-the-gay-community-an-apology%E2%80%9D-says-author-of-controversial-%E2%80%9Cex-gay%E2%80%9D-study
How did I know you would be paraphrasing?
Reply 53

Look at the link mini posted for you. It has been proven conversion doesn't work for sexual orientations. Also, just go speak to any sane, reasonable human being and they will tell you that.
Reply 54

At what point in your life did you choose your sexuality?
he is a fool, he is not fit to be a pastor, he is not spreading god's word, he is spreading vile hatred
Pastor needs a slap.
Reply 57
Original post by Bellissima
essentially anyway... give them a punch, crack their wrist... this is a baptist PASTOR'S SERMON.. and people actually laugh/agree with this in the background... and because he's in a position of power and influence, his "flock" will go away thinking this is blessed by god/jesus... i REALLY don't understand how some of these christians manage to twist the teachings of christ into thinking this is acceptable.. i can also bet you anything that he is one of those american's that go on and on about america being the land of the free... yet still says this?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/north-carolina-pastor-sea_n_1468618.html

it also annoys me because although not religious myself.. it spread such a bad image of religion..

people like this make me sick... i know it is in america which has more extreme views IN GENERAL than the UK but there are people like this in the UK... people WORSE that this all over the world.. and yet people still think gay people are equal now and have nothing to complain about and should be happy with what they have because they don't face discrimination..

as long as there are people like this in the world.. and countries that persecute gays... there will always be a need to campaign/support gay rights imo...

if my priest said this he would lose all his respect.
Reply 58
Original post by DdotT
if my priest said this he would lose all his respect.

i'm sure he would but this is in bible belt USA where people are looking for validation of their hateful views.
To quote Sheldon Cooper, 'I weep for humanity'. :facepalm: The ignorance is astounding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending