The Student Room Group

Homophobic pastor in USA says: "Beat up your kids if they look/act gay"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Transcendence
Of course you can. I have no reason to prove anything, you dont need proof that a person can change their mind.

A homosexual man can no more choose to be straight than can you, by sheer, unadulterated force of will, come to desire this 'woman':

Spoiler

Perhaps if the contents of your cranium weren't so intent on swallowing nearby star-systems, you might have the necessary presence of mind to grasp this incredibly simple point.
This is based on observation. I am not any of the above, because I choose not to be.
Lol you can change your mind about ANYTHING else, why should this be different?

Because you don't make your mind up to start with.
Reply 83
In your opinion, it cannot be changed. You have no proof of this.. Evidence maybe, but everybody is slightly different, so that is not enough.

You need proof not evidence? What? How do you even manage to dress yourself in the morning? I think this is proof that we can't change who we are by willpower alone else you'd surely choose not to be so stupid.

Original post by RabbitCFH
Why do you even care what some pastor says?

Because his hatefilled speach will encourage parents to think they're doing the right thing by beating their children for showing 'gay tendencies'.
Reply 84
In your opinion, it cannot be changed. You have no proof of this.. Evidence maybe, but everybody is slightly different, so that is not enough.

nothing has shown that it can be changed, so believing it is not a choice is the most logical thing to do

then again, you seem to think you can cure depression by simply choosing to have higher serotonin levels, so I guess you don't really care about what is logical
Of course they do. You can want to be a certain way.. But ultimately the decision is yours.

So you need proof that it can't be changed, but are not willing to provide us with proof that it can? We have evidence, you have your own personal experience of being straight. And as you just said, you can have your own personal experience, so maybe you're just weird.
Any scientist can see the logical position to hold.
Original post by lucaf
nothing has shown that it can be changed, so believing it is not a choice is the most logical thing to do

then again, you seem to think you can cure depression by simply choosing to have higher serotonin levels, so I guess you don't really care about what is logical

A decision can be made no matter what the logical choice would be, likewise a decision can be made no matter how far toward the other choice you are, or how much you want the other choice..
Doing a real science.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Doing a real science.

A science is anything that follows the scientific method.
Psychology follows the scientific method.
Therefore, psychology is a science.
Reply 90
A decision can be made no matter what the logical choice would be, likewise a decision can be made no matter how far toward the other choice you are, or how much you want the other choice..

I didn't say the choice is logical. I said believing that you can change a state of mind is retarded. if you get hammered, you cannot suddenly choose to become instantly sober. homosexuality, depression and schizophrenia are no different
Original post by minimarshmallow
A science is anything that follows the scientific method.
Psychology follows the scientific method.
Therefore, psychology is a science.

The more you say it, the more true it becomes,
The more you say it, the more true it becomes,

That's a sound logical argument.
But if you want to argue with logic, that'll just cement your idiocy.
Original post by lucaf
I didn't say the choice is logical. I said believing that you can change a state of mind is retarded. if you get hammered, you cannot suddenly choose to become instantly sober. homosexuality, depression and schizophrenia are no different

I didn't say instantly. I just said you can choose..
You mean, you pay to get taught fancy words, while everybody else is doing something useful?

Why don't you believe in choice..? Are you saying we don't have choice..?
I didn't say instantly. I just said you can choose..

You can't choose to make yourself sober when you're drunk. You can choose to stop drinking and will sober up as the alcohol is processed by your body, but you can't think yourself sober in any length of time if your alcohol levels stay constant.
You mean, you pay to get taught fancy words, while everybody else is doing something useful?

Why don't you believe in choice..? Are you saying we don't have choice..?

We have choices about certain things (what to eat for breakfast, what to wear), but not about others (sexual orientation, mental illness, physical illness).
Original post by minimarshmallow
You can't choose to make yourself sober when you're drunk. You can choose to stop drinking and will sober up as the alcohol is processed by your body, but you can't think yourself sober in any length of time if your alcohol levels stay constant.

You will adapt.
Reply 98
Its a stupid poster....its 2012 why are some ppl still like this!
It's a shame that all I can think is : "My mom would do worse if I told her I was gay"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending