The Student Room Group

Dyspraxia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have a friend who has dyspraxia, can't read normal clocks, therefore she needs digital ones and can't ride a car. She says she knows what she has to do, but she doesn't know why her body won't do what she tells it to do, eg. Riding a car, she wants to turn right, but once she sets the command her body will just turn left...

It has to be annoying, but anyway I actually find it interesting!
Reply 21
i have been downrated for being proud of being dyspraxic
Love the sig on dyslexic christmas Alkranite!
Gets on my nerves really when people have got nothing better to do than neg because of people have got Dyspraxia.

It doesn't bother me that I've got dyspraxia or any disability - why should it bother anyone else?
Reply 24
Original post by pipsi
Yes it can, that is how I was diagnosed! In fact when I attempted to speak to a GP about it they said it was something a psychologist would assess.

Clinical Psychologist- not an educational psychologist
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Gets on my nerves really when people have got nothing better to do than neg because of people have got Dyspraxia.

It doesn't bother me that I've got dyspraxia or any disability - why should it bother anyone else?

As I said on page one, it's not as if every dyspraxic is getting negged. It's probably just the illogicality of saying you're "proud" of it, I'm not proud of it, why would I be proud of a developmental disability? I'm indifferent, I have it, I deal with it...that's it.

Why would you have pride?

So someone born with one leg should...be proud of missing a leg?

Or someone born without colour vision..should be proud of their black and white sight?

It makes no sense to me...

but then again the gay pride movement makes no sense to me either.
Reply 26
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Love the sig on dyslexic christmas Alkranite!

than you but i cant find any signature , were are they
Reply 27
Original post by joey11223
As I said on page one, it's not as if every dyspraxic is getting negged. It's probably just the illogicality of saying you're "proud" of it, I'm not proud of it, why would I be proud of a developmental disability? I'm indifferent, I have it, I deal with it...that's it.

Why would you have pride?

So someone born with one leg should...be proud of missing a leg?

Or someone born without colour vision..should be proud of their black and white sight?

It makes no sense to me...

but then again the gay pride movement makes no sense to me either.

it makes who i am and why cant i be proud of that you judgmental doosh
Original post by Alkranite
it makes who i am and why cant i be proud of that you judgmental doosh

Pride comes from achievement. I completely understand someone saying..

"Despite dyspraxia, I have been able to pass my degree and hold down a full time job, I have pride in what I've done to overcome my disability."

But "I have dyspraxia, I am proud of this fact.", doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'll steer this thing back on course cos we're heading towards the shore...

have any of you bothered to bring this condition up later on in education, say A-levels or degree level, when you haven't mentioned it before?

I've always put up with it, but really I should have said something some time ago, as during exams where you have to write essay style answers, I find it incredibly painful to write. In my A-level history exam I had to stop for 10 minutes to rest my hand as it hurt too much and it had gone numb. I carried on after that but my already pretty bad handwriting became a total scrawl, I'd be surprised if it didn't effect my grade.

Problem is I suppose because I'd never mentioned dyspraxia in lower years, I thought trying to bring it up would be thought of as an excuse. I mean I've always had very poor pen grip, I went to special classes in primary school to help me learn to hold a pen and write.

I'll see how my exams go this year (second year at uni), but if I struggle in the two hour exams, do you think it would be possible to bring up the option of extra time in year 3 exams? I was diagnosed with developmental dyspraxia as a young child, but I don't know if I could get some sort of proof now. :s-smilie:
Reply 29

"Despite dyspraxia, I have been able to pass my degree and hold down a full time job, I have pride in what I've done to overcome my disability."

But "I have dyspraxia, I am proud of this fact.", doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

have any of you bothered to bring this condition up later on in education, say A-levels or degree level, when you haven't mentioned it before?

I've always put up with it, but really I should have said something some time ago, as during exams where you have to write essay style answers, I find it incredibly painful to write. In my A-level history exam I had to stop for 10 minutes to rest my hand as it hurt too much and it had gone numb. I carried on after that but my already pretty bad handwriting became a total scrawl, I'd be surprised if it didn't effect my grade.

Problem is I suppose because I'd never mentioned dyspraxia in lower years, I thought trying to bring it up would be thought of as an excuse. I mean I've always had very poor pen grip, I went to special classes in primary school to help me learn to hold a pen and write.

I'll see how my exams go this year (second year at uni), but if I struggle in the two hour exams, do you think it would be possible to bring up the option of extra time in year 3 exams? I was diagnosed with developmental dyspraxia as a young child, but I don't know if I could get some sort of proof now. :s-smilie:

fine , how about i have got 2 golds in a maths competition and i have dyspraxia ANY BETTER???????????????????????
Reply 30
does any one have an account on this??? - http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/index.php?hash=5dc08bcd
Not yet but I might join it

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 32
Original post by NJones

It was an Educational Psychologist who assessed me.
Reply 33
Original post by NJones

:no: This is an Educational Psychologist's job.
Reply 34
I know this is an odd question but, by being dyspraxic does it limit your career options at all?
I think I may be dyspraxic and I'm a bit worried aha
Reply 35
there is no reason why it should
Reply 36
Original post by rawragee
I know this is an odd question but, by being dyspraxic does it limit your career options at all?
I think I may be dyspraxic and I'm a bit worried aha

Ir depends on how your condition presents itself. I, for example, find balancing a little difficult and I'm really clumsy, so I'm not about to become a tightrope walker any time soon. It also depends on the severity of your condition. But also look at the otherside, some people with dyspraxia might be particularly good at things, I have very good verbal skills. My brother whose dyspraxia is a lot severer than mine is amazingly creative and imaginative, he's made things out of lego that family friends who are architects probably couldn't come up with.
Reply 37

really pride comes from acheivement well i acheived not caring about what you think
Original post by aliluvschoc
Hi five!

(Though as we both have dyspraxia, chances are we'll miss)

And in the process of missing each other we'll probably get laughed at (mainly by PE teachers in my experience) and somehow manage to injure ourselves without actually making contact with each other's hands.
Original post by chelseafan
Hey guys, i think i may have dyxpraxia. I am 16 and i have poor handwriting. I have poor fine motor skills and i am told i walk funny. I also cannot ride a bicycle and i am unorganised and fail to meet deadlines. I also feel a bit stupid sometimes even though i am academically quite clever. (Predicted 5As for GCSE.) What should i do?

Yep you sound like me :smile: Look into getting an educational needs assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest