The Student Room Group

Dyspraxia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pipsi
Ir depends on how your condition presents itself. I, for example, find balancing a little difficult and I'm really clumsy, so I'm not about to become a tightrope walker any time soon. It also depends on the severity of your condition. But also look at the otherside, some people with dyspraxia might be particularly good at things, I have very good verbal skills. My brother whose dyspraxia is a lot severer than mine is amazingly creative and imaginative, he's made things out of lego that family friends who are architects probably couldn't come up with.

Hey Mum, when I grow up I want to be a tightrope walker LOL jokes I'm scared of heights, can't walk in a straight line (and that's while sober), have bad balance and motor skills.

Pretty much ruled out every kind of athletic kind of job after years of being absolutely ****e at PE.
Original post by Alkranite
does any one have an account on this??? - http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/index.php?hash=5dc08bcd

This looks cool! I'm going to check it out.
than you but i cant find any signature , were are they

Dyslexics hate christmas because thats when Satan comes

Thats your sig right? Its just under the post now! I was dianosed as dyslexic before dyspraxic
Reply 43
Original post by Nynyflower
I think the worst thing about it is that because I can't do those tests where you need to choose the next picture/pattern in a sequence I'll never be able to do medicine or join the civil service.

That's a very small part of a medicine application, and its possible to avoid it entirely if you fancy BMAT instead of UKCAT.
Reply 44
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Dyslexics hate christmas because thats when Satan comes

Thats your sig right? Its just under the post now! I was dianosed as dyslexic before dyspraxic

i cant see it :frown:
hi, I have dyspraxia and i'm proud of it :biggrin:

I have it though I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm proud of it. Mainly because it's been a pain in the ass for years.

Original post by aliluvschoc
Hi five!

(Though as we both have dyspraxia, chances are we'll miss)

:lol: True.
Reply 46
I'm one too! :biggrin:

I get to use a laptop in exams due to illegible writing. YAY!

<3 x
Reply 47
Original post by thunder_chunky
I have it though I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm proud of it. Mainly because it's been a pain in the ass for years.

iit makes me who i am, so why cant i be proud of it???????????????
Original post by LETSJaM
I'm one too! :biggrin:

I get to use a laptop in exams due to illegible writing. YAY!

<3 x

I never got that when I did my exams. I did get extra time though. Fat lot of good it did me though.
iit makes me who i am, so why cant i be proud of it???????????????

I'm not saying that you are not allowed to be proud of it, I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't say I'm proud of being Dyspraxic.
Reply 50
Original post by thunder_chunky
I never got that when I did my exams. I did get extra time though. Fat lot of good it did me though.

I get extra time too.

But writing on a laptop in exams is weird at first.

<3 x
Working as a Learning Support Assistant at a local college in a FE, I notice a lot of adult learners are fearful to claim their 'disability' or learning 'difficulty' but I say disclose and I can help you discreetly and if it means it could affect employment, I would do my best to ensure the literacy levels of support is tiered that won't affect you and actually benefit you in the long run. I support exams too, by either being a scribe, or invigilator for timed exams that have extensions to avoid the overlap with other students who are given the regular time allocations for their exams. Some people have never been diagnosed with Dyspraxia or Dyscalculia until recently as it was labelled other things and some didn't know they meant the same thing or were never assessed. Sometimes parents refused or schools incompetent. Good luck with those who get the support in life, education and careers if you find it challenging. There is support out there if you need it.
I don't know how I'd describe, there's a lot to it really..

Spectrum wise, it can effect people different and it does have levels of severity. I was diagnosed with developmental dyspraxia as a child for a number of reasons, among them failing to crawl then to walk at the ages you're expected to, clumsy movements, not being able to tie shoe laces and such.

There's a girl on this forum, possibly on this thread I'm not sure, that can't dress herself because it's so severe. But like my asthma, which I no longer have, I feel my dyspraxia effects me in a fairly minor way.

Issues I have are..

following a set of instructions with multiple steps, I'll often forget what I'm doing in the middle of a task. This links with fairly poor short term memory, someone will tell me something, I'll go off to do it or just walk off with the instruction to do something later, then when I get to where I'm meant to do the task, I'll forget why I'm there.

Physical activities which involve fine motor skills are also a problem. I can tie my shoe laces but it takes me longer then other people, but certain fastenings on clothes are very hard to do up or undo.

Writing wise my writing is very messy and I have a poor pen grip so my hand often aches.

Then communication wise, I'm incredibly talkative and often don't realise when to stop talking, also my voice often gets steadily louder if I'm talking for along time and occasionally someone will have to tell me to quieten down a bit.

Generally I'd just say I'm rather clumsy, hence why I was diagnosed with "clumsy child syndrome", wasn't so PC back then :tongue:.
Original post by joey11223
Generally I'd just say I'm rather clumsy, hence why I was diagnosed with "clumsy child syndrome", wasn't so PC back then :tongue:.

I'm surprised I was never diagnosed with that.:tongue:
The official definition is...

"an impairment or immaturity of the organisation of movement. It is an immaturity in the way that the brain processes information, which results in messages not being properly or fully transmitted."

With two supposed aspects..

Ideational dyspraxia: difficulty with planning a sequence of coordinated movements.

Ideo-Motor dyspraxia: difficulty with executing a plan, even though it is known.

Though I will also say there are other aspects to the condition, such as hyper or hypo sensitivity to sound, touch, taste etc. Some will have this, some won't.

Personally I can't go clubbing because the bass makes my head feel horrible and makes me physically throw up. I went to my GP about it, he diagnosed me with some fancy term, though since that I've read that hypersensitivity to sound can be part of dyspraxia. As a child loud noises always made me cry, even just an ambulance or fire engine with its sirens on going past, my mum used to try and avoid roadworks because they'd make me cry or ages, also any raised voices would make me cry. With the latter...I find that still is the case, though it could be more some issue to do with anger, if someone is angry at me, I get upset incredibly easily, I can't have an argument, if it involves raised voices, because of this.

So yeah, I suppose it can impact anything and it seems quite changeable depending on each individual case, though main features like clumsiness with fine motor skills are standard. It's why I don't like bringing up that I have it, because anyone could look at the huge symptoms list and pick out a few things which apply to them. I don't like to make a big deal out of it tbh, I'm just the clumsy one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by joey11223
The official definition is...

"an impairment or immaturity of the organisation of movement. It is an immaturity in the way that the brain processes information, which results in messages not being properly or fully transmitted."

With two supposed aspects..

Ideational dyspraxia: difficulty with planning a sequence of coordinated movements.

Ideo-Motor dyspraxia: difficulty with executing a plan, even though it is known.

Though I will also say there are other aspects to the condition, such as hyper or hypo sensitivity to sound, touch, taste etc. Some will have this, some won't.

Personally I can't go clubbing because the bass makes my head feel horrible and makes me physically throw up. I went to my GP about it, he diagnosed me with some fancy term, though since that I've read that hypersensitivity to sound can be part of dyspraxia. As a child loud noises always made me cry, even just an ambulance or fire engine with its sirens on going past, my mum used to try and avoid roadworks because they'd make me cry or ages, also any raised voices would make me cry. With the latter...I find that still is the case, though it could be more some issue to do with anger, if someone is angry at me, I get upset incredibly easily, I can't have an argument, if it involves raised voices, because of this.

So yeah, I suppose it can impact anything and it seems quite changeable depending on each individual case, though main features like clumsiness with fine motor skills are standard. It's why I don't like bringing up that I have it, because anyone could look at the huge symptoms list and pick out a few things which apply to them. I don't like to make a big deal out of it tbh, I'm just the clumsy one.

I'm exactly the same as you on the raised voices thing, I always end up crying in arguments and it's embarrassing. Never liked loud noises, although loud music I can deal with. I still really hate the sound of hoovers but I feel I'm desensitising myself to noise now. Other hypersensitivity issues I have is that brushing my hair really hurts, used to scream the house down when my mum tried to brush my hair when I was younger. I just have to make sure I don't let knots tangle up in my hair these days.
Original post by Nynyflower
I'm exactly the same as you on the raised voices thing, I always end up crying in arguments and it's embarrassing.

Aye, it may not surprise you to discover my girlfriend wears the trousers. I am incredibly easily to guilt trip and I'd loose any argument by default..:tongue:
Reply 57
This is the first time I've heard about loud noises being connected to dyspraxia, but it makes a lot fo sense to me. I've always been adverse to loud noises, when I watch the TV I have it on very quietly and often if someone else comes into the room they ask me to turn the volume up as it's almost inaudible to them. When I was a child I remember being scared of the noise the loo made when it was flushed.

I find noises a huge distraction. Especially when I'll trying to work or concentrate. I've just recently moved house but the place I was in last I found it almost impossible to work at home while others were in the house. although their noise levels were not particularly loud. I used to get incredibly frustrated at one of my housemates because she used to talk on the phone for ages in the next room and had quite a loud voice which meant I couldn't concentrate. Also most of my housemates there used to listen to music while studying, to them it was quiet background noise, but to me I used to feel as if I was trying to write an essay in a loud nightclub. I never said anything to anyone because I knew it was acceptable to a 'normal' person. I used to end up spending days holed up in one of the individual study rooms in the library.

Even in my new place, I still find a lot of noises distracting that probably don't bother other people. a couple of days ago some guys had come to check the fire extinguishers in my building and their van was parked outside, in the little car park in the middle of the complex. They had a rather loud conversation for about half an hour over their lunch break, despite it being a hot day I ended up closing my window to try and drown out the sound, i live on the third floor so it's not as if they were right outside my window.

Right now some people are sat outside enjoying the sunshine and playing (what is probably considered an ok level of) music, but it is making it almost impossible for me to concentrate on writing my dissertation. My concentration is bad enough without stuff affecting it.

On the subject of concentration, does anyone recommend any exercises, or herbal remedies to help concentration?
Reply 58
i usually have headphones in but no music playing because it helps block out some of the sound
Reply 59
i usually have headphones in but no music playing because it helps block out some of the sound

I've tried using ear plugs a couple of times but don't like the sensation of them in my ears and find them rather uncomfortable. Also, if I'm sleeping I worry that a fire alarm will go off or something and I won't hear it.

I used to find that having the tv on quietly in the background when trying to work helps, but recently I've found this too distracting. However I've been having trouble concentrating at all recently so the fact that I've started to find that distracting may be down to that. I wish there was something I could take to aid concentration, I've tried gingko before but I'm not entirely convinced it isn't more of a placebo than anything else. One of my friends jokingly suggested cocaine, but somehow I don't see that as a viable option lol.

Quick Reply

Latest