Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has the spectre of Labour returned?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    According to Barnardo's there are currently 3.9 million children living in poverty in this country. An astonishing figure for a developed and wealthy country.
    Why isn't the government spending public money on bringing them out of poverty?
    Surely this is a high priority?
    I couldn't care less what Banardo's think. Banardo's said I was living in poverty as a child as well and I most certainly wasn't. It's only an "astonishing" figure because it's been manipulated by them (for a good cause of course) to make a point. A child living in poverty in the UK is a world away from a child living in poverty elsewhere.

It is spending public money on getting them out of poverty - ever heard of welfare? It's not enough no, but again, who is going to pay for it?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    What do you think of people like J.K Rowling then? Considering she lived on benefits? Is SHE a benefit scrounger?
    IS she? Clearly not.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Typical argument there... There aren't enough good jobs and I demand that the rich make them. I'm poor so I'm exempt from having to do that kinda thing...

Well you're not exactly the shining example of the "informed poor" are you. Taxes were LOWERED for the poorest in the last budget - the fact that you are just perpetuating the myth that it wasn't shows your sheer ignorance on the topic. The rich pay far more taxes than the poor (the rich pay more than they get out whereas the poor get out more than they put in).
    And you're saying no man deserves to claw more from the treasury than they pay back?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Typical argument there... There aren't enough good jobs and I demand that the rich make them. I'm poor so I'm exempt from having to do that kinda thing...

Well you're not exactly the shining example of the "informed poor" are you. Taxes were LOWERED for the poorest in the last budget - the fact that you are just perpetuating the myth that it wasn't shows your sheer ignorance on the topic. The rich pay far more taxes than the poor (the rich pay more than they get out whereas the poor get out more than they put in).
    Where did I demand anyone makes them? Is it again the poors fault (and Im not poor at all by the way lead a very comfortable lifestyle, thanks to the luck of a supportive family and having a job that isnt the best but isnt bad) that there isnt jobs? Theres approx 500,000 available jobs at the moment and 2.6 million or so unemployed...is that all their fault?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    IS she? Clearly not.
    Alright then, WAS she a benefit scrounger then?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badcheesecrispy)
    Never said that, you said it is earned which it isnt the person did sod all to earn it they gained it through the LUCK of being born to rich parents. You stuck up worm.
    So? Life isn't fair.

People can be born clever. It's luck. People can be born stupid. It's bad luck. People can be born to be tall, to be short, to be fatter, to be thinner - it is all down to luck. Luck is an unavoidable part of life.

Accept it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never said that, you said it is earned which it isnt the person did sod all to earn it they gained it through the LUCK of being born to rich parents. You stuck up worm.
    You aren't born by luck, you are born because your parents had sex..
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright then, WAS she a benefit scrounger then?
    She wasn't a 'scrounger' in the sense that she was actively working towards something in a concrete way, and repaid society.

I do question however if she couldn't have just worked at the same time as writing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    And you're saying no man deserves to claw more from the treasury than they pay back?
    No, I'm saying the rich pay more than the poor - to refute the ridiculous point that they don't. Whether they should pay even more than they currently are is neither here nor there for my point.

Where did I demand anyone makes them? Is it again the poors fault (and Im not poor at all by the way lead a very comfortable lifestyle, thanks to the luck of a supportive family and having a job that isnt the best but isnt bad) that there isnt jobs? Theres approx 500,000 available jobs at the moment and 2.6 million or so unemployed...is that all their fault?
    Why does it have to be their fault? I should point out here that I am poor, have relied on the benefits system to get me to this point in my life and in the near future my family is going to be enormously dependent on it. I merely hold the view that blaming everything on those richer than you, and sitting back waiting for them to fix your life is rather counterproductive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahaha no. Labour, Lib Dems, and Conservatives are all a joke really. Can't trust any of them. But what other party is there? UKIP? I don't know any other party and I don't want Green or BNP either :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ignorant public are the reason for this. It's easy to vote for labour who offer short term prosperity and long term failure. The headlines regarding conservative policies are predictable and stupid read "taxes for millionaires cut while poor get nothing" but anyone with any understanding of economics knows that keeping the marginal tax rate at 50% for high earners would be nonsensical. It is basically a tax on the rich with no corresponding increase in government revenues. Should the rich be taxed more just because lower income individuals are suffering even though in all likelihood such taxes don't have any effect on tax revenue or may even decrease it? Unfortunately we will probably have Labour re-elected and they will exacerbate our debt problems so the country goes further down the pan. People need to stop expecting immediate gains and start realising that accumulating large budget deficits is not sustainable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you refer to relative poverty or absolute poverty?
    Absolute.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So? Life isn't fair.

People can be born clever. It's luck. People can be born stupid. It's bad luck. People can be born to be tall, to be short, to be fatter, to be thinner - it is all down to luck. Luck is an unavoidable part of life.

Accept it.
    Accept it? Where did I say it was unnacceptable? I challenged your argument they earned it and now you have admitted it was luck, not hard work. Well done, you might have stronger intellect than I thought :congrats:

I'll add that being clever doesnt make someone rich and rich doesnt equal clever. Just look at MailOnline on the sidebar to be proven that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Are you being deliberately stupid, its obvious I'm referring to luck of being born to rich parents than being born to poor ones. Whats the point in posting this garbage just to defy the point?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** Labour
    **** the Conservatives
    **** the Fib Dems
    **** the SNP

I honestly despise every mainstream political party.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less what Banardo's think. Banardo's said I was living in poverty as a child as well and I most certainly wasn't. It's only an "astonishing" figure because it's been manipulated by them (for a good cause of course) to make a point. A child living in poverty in the UK is a world away from a child living in poverty elsewhere.

It is spending public money on getting them out of poverty - ever heard of welfare? It's not enough no, but again, who is going to pay for it?
    That's faulty reasoning, yes living standards are worse in other places but that doesn't make this okay.
    Even if the figures are exagerrated they're still likely to be total more than a million and that's just not acceptable.
    The rich should pay more for it and the corporations. The question is how to achieve this without them jumping ship. I'm not saying punish them because they're wealthy so don't try and put that on me.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Accept it? Where did I say it was unnacceptable? I challenged your argument they earned it and now you have admitted it was luck, not hard work. Well done, you might have stronger intellect than I thought :congrats:

I'll add that being clever doesnt make someone rich and rich doesnt equal clever. Just look at MailOnline on the sidebar to be proven that
    I don't see what your point is. The fact remains that it is their money to do with as they wish.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    Absolute.
    Please provide a source for your assertion, then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Do you honestly believe we enter life in a condition of tabula rasa?
    Education, health etcetera play no role whatsoever?
    These are often contingent facts.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you being deliberately stupid, its obvious I'm referring to luck of being born to rich parents than being born to poor ones. Whats the point in posting this garbage just to defy the point?
    You have yet to state where the luck comes in with regards to be born to rich parents. You exist through the intentional act of sex and the fact your parents wanted to raise you. Luck would be like a newborn lottery.

You exist as who you are or you don't exist at all. To suggest it is luck implies you could be someone else.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.