Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Second hand smoke?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of my housemates continues to smoke in his room .. and I can smell it .. is this doing me any harm ..

Am I breathing in smoke or just smelling it, if that makes sense LOL
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bad ass.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is vile, the smell is so disgusting to none smokers. I don't understand how anyone can stand it.

Keep your window/door closed perhaps OP? Shouldn't be able to smell it then.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaggySnake95)
    Bad ass.
    I am already feeling really ill ..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Smoking is vile, the smell is so disgusting to none smokers. I don't understand how anyone can stand it.

Keep your window/door closed perhaps OP? Shouldn't be able to smell it then.
    I do all day but I can still smell it in a massive way!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnajamie)
    I do all day but I can still smell it in a massive way!
    What about night time? I would prefer stale air to cigarette smell personally! Is it university accommodation? Most don't even allow you to smoke inside to my knowledge.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    What about night time? I would prefer stale air to cigarette smell personally! Is it university accommodation? Most don't even allow you to smoke inside to my knowledge.
    yh all night too really annoying me .. feeling really ill and low at the moment ..

yes it is uni accomm .. gloucestershire uni halls
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am already feeling really ill ..
    I'm kidding mate! Anyway, it depends if you can actually feel yourself inhaling it. If it's just a general ''I smell smoke in the air'' then it probably isn't too bad.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaggySnake95)
    I'm kidding mate! Anyway, it depends if you can actually feel yourself inhaling it. If it's just a general ''I smell smoke in the air'' then it probably isn't too bad.
    I really cant wait to get out of halls seriously!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh he should at least have the good grace to do it outside.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Tbh he should at least have the good grace to do it outside.
    yeah but what people should do and actually do are 2 very different things in this world.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what people should do and actually do are 2 very different things in this world.
    Too right. I smoke (although i am trying to quit for the gf) but i at least have the good grace to go outside so people don't have to smell it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Too right. I smoke (although i am trying to quit for the gf) but i at least have the good grace to go outside so people don't have to smell it.
    well you should come and be my housemate then LOL
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What did people like you do before the smoking ban?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is this doing me any harm ..

First - Go to Youtube and search "GreenSmokeLover". click one of the first couple videos (You'll do yourself a favor)

YES! Secondhand smoke is serious business, and should be a concern for anyone who breathes it in. Non-smokers inhaling secondhand smoke share some of the health risks actual smokers face. It's not something to mess around with either...have you spoke to him about it?

My mate in the US recommended me to get an electronic cigarette because myself I'm a smoker, a heavy one at that - she couldn't stand being around me weather for studies, or just casual dorm tiime. She used to smoked cigarettes too, until she got herself an e-cig, and since they're made in here at home in the UK as well it shouldn't be hard for any of us smokers to get one. Problem is, tryin to find the right one that works.

What some roomies don't get is the odor, not only are we or they stinking up our dormatory but also our clothes, text books, everything. yuck

with the ecig, you don't have that problem

Have you suggested to your room mate that they make the switch? I personally own a green smoke ecig which i freakin love, but since buying haven't even touched a regular cigarette. It's new/hip/classy and at first it felt weird, but my mate has definitely been more willing to be around me and even at times we share our batteries and cartomizers. It turned our negative situation into a positive one and I definitely thank her for bringing them to my attention - I don't smell like an ashtray anymore

You should do something though, if your not a smoker, I definitely think you should get away from it.

heres a fact

While secondhand smoke may not kill as many people as smoking does, it is toxic and claims thousands of lives every year around the world.
    True - it does harm you weather you see it that way or not.

my .02 cents

-Lucky
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamyourspiritfrombeyondth)
    What did people like you do before the smoking ban?
    never really came across smokers that much, I mean I don't go to the pub or anything ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to the pub or anything ...
    Yep...you need to get out more often mate :eek:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of my housemates continues to smoke in his room .. and I can smell it .. is this doing me any harm ..

To be honest it has never been 100% proven that Second Hand Smoke effects you negatively, so no one knows if it will harm you.

However, people will tell you it's the same risks as smoking. They're stupid.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuckyIsHere)
    Yep...you need to get out more often mate :eek:
    really? I don;t see the need to drink! although yes I should get out more, cinema .. footie games etc
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Report them to your residential tutor. Smoking isn't permitted in halls and while it may not be doing you much harm, you don't have to put up with it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.