Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bet way to get in to exercise

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really feel like I should start proper regular exercise to keep fit and tone up
    But I hate exercise
    Well, cardio

I've joined the gym twice and go a few times then give up because I hate being sweaty

And I get out of breathe easily since I'm unfit and used to smoke

SO what would be the best way to get into exercise?

I'm not complete couch potato, I work in a busy restaurant as a waitress working 10-12 hour shifts, so I have pretty good endurance, just awful motivation

(and I don't want to join a gym again until I start properly exercising)
    Tips please if you'd can
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    zumba classes...doing any exercise you need a friend...they are the best for motivation!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm suspicious of anyone saying they hate cardio. There's so many forms there must be something you like. For example, I hate running on a machine and cross trainers and I'm a terrible swimmer but I don't mind cycling or running on grass. So try different things. because mostly you need something you'll enjoy. That might be some sort of class or just some different form of cardio. You cold try lifting fairly light weights in a circuit

How long ago did you quit smoking? It takes quite a bit for your lunges to recover so give it time but work at it as well. You won't get any better without getting out of breath.

Get over your sweating problem. You don't need to get drenched but you will sweat if you do much more than walk
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try swimming? No sweat problem there. I used to go swimming every Thursday morning at 9am for 2 hours. I loved it but then my money ran out...

You'll need to make sure you stretch properly before and after though. I didn't swim particularly fast or anything, took regular breaks at the end of the pool. Felt really good afterwards too.

Why don't you see if there's a decent exercise pool near you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Getting motivated for anything you see as a chore is difficult, you need to make it something you look forward to, something that improves your day, not the opposite. A training partner where both of you are competitive is important as is the intensity at which you work. 15-20mins of high intensity full body work is more beneficial for fitness than an hour of jogging.

A good idea may be to read some books on the training you find interesting and it can open your mind. A lot are amazing reads. Well, for me at least.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahnic)
    I really feel like I should start proper regular exercise to keep fit and tone up
    But I hate exercise
    Well, cardio
    So many different forms of exercise, I doubt you hate all of them. You hate cardio, why not do weights?

I've joined the gym twice and go a few times then give up because I hate being sweaty
    Good luck with any meaningful exercise then. You need to get over that, or else you'll continue to fail with fitness, as you have been doing all your life.

And I get out of breathe easily since I'm unfit and used to smoke
    You should really try to quit smoking. Might not be easy. Exercise and smoking is counter-productive.

SO what would be the best way to get into exercise?
    Exercise classes, sports, starting with low intensity and building up etc. You have to start somewhere. Don't be like most people who say they'll do it, then don't, or do it and give up a few weeks later.

I'm not complete couch potato, I work in a busy restaurant as a waitress working 10-12 hour shifts, so I have pretty good endurance, just awful motivation
    It's good you do such long shifts, shows you work hard. If only you could transfer that hard work into exercise.

And that 'endurace' (standing on your feet taking orders and serving food) does not translate to exercise endurance. That's like saying I have the endurance to watch the entire trilogy of Lord of the Rings non-stop, so I must have the endurance to run a marathon. See where the logic fails?

(and I don't want to join a gym again until I start properly exercising)
    Pay per session or pay for a few months to begin with. You've got to start some time. Don't keep on putting it off, or else the months and years will go by and you'll wonder why the hell you wasted all that time dithering and being indecisive.

Tips please if you'd can
    *you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    So many different forms of exercise, I doubt you hate all of them. You hate cardio, why not do weights?
    weights is dull, I have a full set of weight equipment in my house as my dad is an avid weight lifter, but it is the dullest exercise I've ever seen, I need something to keep me entertained and enthusiastic about it

Good luck with any meaningful exercise then. You need to get over that, or else you'll continue to fail with fitness, as you have been doing all your life.
    I normall quit the gym because I don't like paying 20-30 quid a month when I can only go a couple times a month because I don't have the time since I work 25 hrs a week and do 25 hrs a week in college, so it was a pointless drain of money til I finish college

You should really try to quit smoking. Might not be easy. Exercise and smoking is counter-productive
    I'm currently doing this

And that 'endurace' (standing on your feet taking orders and serving food) does not translate to exercise endurance. That's like saying I have the endurance to watch the entire trilogy of Lord of the Rings non-stop, so I must have the endurance to run a marathon. See where the logic fails?
    I can tell you've not waited on before, Im literally running round for 10 hours carrying heavy plates and trays, non stop
    I may as well be running and doing weights at the same time, it burns 2000 calories a shift and helped me lose a lot of weight, BUT as its not localised to specific target areas, now I've hit my plateaux and need to step it up

*you
    Spell check change on you's
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Why don't you try swimming? No sweat problem there. I used to go swimming every Thursday morning at 9am for 2 hours. I loved it but then my money ran out...

You'll need to make sure you stretch properly before and after though. I didn't swim particularly fast or anything, took regular breaks at the end of the pool. Felt really good afterwards too.

Why don't you see if there's a decent exercise pool near you?
    I was thinking about that, it's just the whole, £4 a session thing that kills me

But I suppose I can spend the £4 I'd spend on smoking on exercise instead.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    weights is dull, I have a full set of weight equipment in my house as my dad is an avid weight lifter, but it is the dullest exercise I've ever seen, I need something to keep me entertained and enthusiastic about it
    Whether you enjoy something or not is incredibly subjective and exercise itself is as "fun" as you make it. If you "hate cardio" and "weights are dull" (despite never trying it) that doesn't leave with much, or well anything.

I normall quit the gym because I don't like paying 20-30 quid a month when I can only go a couple times a month because I don't have the time since I work 25 hrs a week and do 25 hrs a week in college, so it was a pointless drain of money til I finish college
    What about the other 28+ hours a week of free time? You have the time if you were willing and motivated enough to find it.

I can tell you've not waited on before, Im literally running round for 10 hours carrying heavy plates and trays, non stop
    I may as well be running and doing weights at the same time, it burns 2000 calories a shift and helped me lose a lot of weight, BUT as its not localised to specific target areas, now I've hit my plateaux and need to step it up
    If waitressing is such a great workout why are you so out of shape? The answer is that it is not such a great workout after all. Sure being on your feet all day may aid weight loss but it certainly isn't a good workout.

You already hold a very negative attitude towards exercise and working out regularly, a gym membership is going to magically transform this process. If you genuinely want to get in shape you've got to make a compromise somewhere, whether that is trying something that you don't think that you will like or playing around with it until you find something that you do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Lol that's ridiculous.

The whole 'I work 50hrs a week therefore can't exercise' thing really doesn't wash. If you can find time to sit around and watch TV or see your friends or go on facebook or TSR then you can exercise. Particularly as you have already stated that you won't do weights, therefore you have no need to travel to a gym.

If you consider your job 'exercise' then you are incredibly unfit. I have weighted tables in a busy restaurant and never found it taxing (cardio wise). Those that did were very out of shape.

It sounds to me like you want some form of exercise that is 'super fun and exciting' and requires little/no effort. This does not exist. Take the advice given by others in this thread (and the stickies) or be doomed to fail.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Swimming, 100% works; tones you up, keeps you fit and makes you feel good! Also, for me personally, helps with acne etc (I don't know why, just does)
    The only thing you need to be aware of is that swimming can make you very hungry, so make sure you have some healthy snack with you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    TBH with you it now sounds like you are making excuses. People do this when they like the idea of exercise but aren't really committed to it. You won't succeed unless you change this. Part of it will be finding something you enjoy- you sound like the sport of class type rather than general gym. But even doing something you enjoy, you won't enjoy it every second, you'll have days you can't be arsed at all. You need to understand that being fit required going through that rather than not bothering and you need to be committed enough to your end goal for that to happen. So if you are going to really do this you need to get some determination going on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cardio in gyms IS ****ing boring tbf.

Take up a sport. One that you enjoy and one that you will be able to compete in (gives a lot more motivation than just training for training's sake) plus the fact that you enjoy it means you won't exactly need motivation.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.