The Student Room Group

Why do the white working class get away with so much bigotry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littleone271
Can I just ask.. what's wrong with being a little bit anti-teen mum? I'm talking about the kind who get the free flats and basically laugh in the faces of those who work for a living. Unless they were raped which is very rarely the case, they got themselves into the situation and decided to sponge from society. I don't see how you can see being a teen mum is in any way the same as being disabled.

Also.. you think the white working class are the ones getting away with being ignorant? I suggest you read up on prince Phillip and some of his comments. Personally I find them quite funny because it's obvious there were no bad feelings behind it but the point still stands that you get ignorance everywhere.

I know there's anecdotal evidence of other groups being bigoted but it only exists on a very mainstream level with the white working class. Teenage mums are often young girls who are pressured into having sex by their assertive boyfriends. Plus there's peer pressure, fear of humiliation if they refuse.
Original post by laura130490
Yeah because there are no racist, xenophobic or homophobic people who are middle or upper classed are there? None of them look down on teen mums and the disabled :rolleyes: Your post is very offensive and and bigoted it's self, yes a lot of white working class people are bigoted, but so are a lot of middle and upper class people. Bigotry is not exclusive to the working classes!

Mainstream bigotry is exclusive to the white working class.
Original post by viksta1000
It's because they know that the government will provide for them...until the government implement laws stating that people in such situations will not be given priority, those types of people (the type that Jeremy Kyle follows around with a net) will not get it in their thick heads that there's something out there called a Condom

I realise that lol I wasn't asking why they were getting away with it. I was just pointing out that I don't think being anti teen mum is the same as being racist or bigoted towards disabled people.
Yeah because there are no racist, xenophobic or homophobic people who are middle or upper classed are there? None of them look down on teen mums and the disabled :rolleyes: Your post is very offensive and and bigoted it's self, yes a lot of white working class people are bigoted, but so are a lot of middle and upper class people. Bigotry is not exclusive to the working classes!
oh I totally agree, don't get me wrong...sorry if it came across as otherwise haha

just went abit overboard with my rant! :biggrin:

Oh ok lol no I do understand what you're saying :smile:
I realise that lol I wasn't asking why they were getting away with it. I was just pointing out that I don't think being anti teen mum is the same as being racist or bigoted towards disabled people.

oh I totally agree, don't get me wrong...sorry if it came across as otherwise haha

just went abit overboard with my rant! :biggrin:
Original post by laura130490

Of course it isn't but it only exists on a mainstream level with the white working class.
Original post by Brutal Honesty
I know there's anecdotal evidence of other groups being bigoted but it only exists on a very mainstream level with the white working class. Teenage mums are often young girls who are pressured into having sex by their assertive boyfriends. Plus there's peer pressure, fear of humiliation if they refuse.

If they're too weak to say no then that's their own problem and anyway sex doesn't automatically equal babies. If you're not capable of supporting a child then the responsible, obvious and easy thing to do is use contraception. There are loads of different forms to suit pretty much anybody and there's no excuse not to use it. I was having sex at 15 and so were most of my friends. We're now 19 and we don't have babies.

The white working class seem to be the main culprits for being teenage mums though. It's the middle class people who seem to be the ones looking down on them moreso than the other working class people.
If they're too weak to say no then that's their own problem and anyway sex doesn't automatically equal babies. If you're not capable of supporting a child then the responsible, obvious and easy thing to do is use contraception. There are loads of different forms to suit pretty much anybody and there's no excuse not to use it. I was having sex at 15 and so were most of my friends. We're now 19 and we don't have babies.

The white working class seem to be the main culprits for being teenage mums though. It's the middle class people who seem to be the ones looking down on them moreso than the other working class people.

Okay good for you but the only people who I've ever seen defending teenage mums are sympathetic middle class liberals. The white working class are only too happy to bash them also. They generally assume that teenage mums are living off the state when they are often living with their parents and go on to be contributing members of society. In any case, it's clear that slagging off a 17 year old mother isn't going to solve the problem.
no, you're too thick to get a job yourself and use the foreigners as an excuse

I'm British Born and Bred, been part of the cadets and currently training in the RAF whilst studying full-time at university and owning a tax-contributing business...so what if i'm brown...I can damn sure guarantee that I've probably contributed a hell of alot more to this country and economy than you have!

your desire to blow your own trumpet has clouded your judgement as to the immense sarcasm displayed by the person you have quoted.

the UAS isn't training in the RAF you pompous fool, it's a drinking club with a little bit of RAF lifestyle which contains no obligation the RAF to offer you a job.
(edited 11 years ago)
They lost their council seats because they did an atrocious job. The worrying thing is that a party which advocates the expulsion of all non-white people had any council seats in the first place. I don't really understand this argument about immigrants competing for jobs. We're a capitalist society, capitalism requires competition. If English/British workers aren't operating in a competitive environment our economy will suffer as other countries do get more competitive and get better workers. Think of the Premier League, would you support the expulsion of foreign players from the Premiership and having an English-only Premier league. If not, why not?

There's a recession in and it makes people desperate I guess?
Original post by justmyopinions
There's a recession in and it makes people desperate I guess?

That doesn't excuse bigotry. There's plenty of people around the world who are far worse off and don't resort to such nonsense.
I've seen a lot of stories in the media (and on TSR) about Muslims/immigrants/asylum seekers etc. taking over and if we're not allowed to criticise them because of the 'PC Brigade' and 'political correctness' but this acts as a distraction for a much bigger problem in our society. This is that the white working class get away with far more bigotry than any other group. Just look at the 'newspapers' which cater to the white working class by representing their views, The Sun, Mirror, Express and the Daily Mail. These papers provide so much bigoted right wing propaganda: xenophobia, misogyny, disablism, ageism, abusing teenage mums and council house tenants etc. it's disgraceful.

All of the casual anti-immigrant, anti-teenage mum, anti-Muslim, anti-disabled, misogynistic discourse that is rampant among the white working class does of course have an impact on the UK politically. The biggest fascist party in the UK is the BNP who got 5.2% of the London mayoral vote in 2008, 6.3% of the 2009 EU elections and in 2007 they had 50 councillors in the UK after gaining 292,911 votes.

Given the political threat such bigoted views end up having on our society why do are so soft on such views? Why is our media full of it? Every single newspaper with the exception of the Guardian and Independent promotes this populist nonsense and you even see countless threads on TSR supporting these viewpoints. Why are we not harsher on such people who promote these views? Do we want to go down the route of other European countries like the Netherlands with Geert Wilders and France where the National Front polled at 20%?

Eh?
Original post by MrJim
Basically, we need to close up to the commonwealth and open up to the E.U. That will almost definitely lead to a more peaceful society in the long term. Why? White people, after a few generations in the UK, more or less forget they are foreign and so does everyone else.

What kind of an argument is that. The same should apply for people from the commonwealth. Also, do read up on British history and realise that Australia and Canada are also commonwealth nations.

So in effect your policy is going to restrict people coming in from two of the most prosperous nations on Earth. Yeah, way to go :rolleyes:
Original post by MrJim

Unskilled immigration from Pakistan and Africa into white working class areas just sounds like a recipe for disaster though and not purely because of how racist poor white people are. Look at the amount of tribal/ethnic conflicts in those parts of the world. What I'm saying is philosophically unsound but reasonable pragmatically /realistically.

You have to be skilled to enter the UK from non EU countries.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
The OP is a racist. Spewing just about every vulgar and bigoted cliche about the white poor going.

The white working class are the most despised group in Britain today. They have been completely betrayed by both the left and right.

In the past 60 years, They have seen their jobs shipped abroad for short profit. Their communities flooded with cheap foreign workers who compete for what jobs remain. They have had their communities destroyed.

the Tory yuppies and guardian reading snobs hate the white poor. The white poor have been completely left behind.

What has happened to the white working class is a crime.

They have had the boot on their face or decades now and the yuppies and the guardian reading snobs can only keep Them down for so long.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
This OP gets more outrageous the more I read it. I'm surprised it has not been removed its so offensive and racist. (Unless, maybe the OP is doing a parody in order to expose anti white bigotry by certain posters?)

The most idiotic and blatant example of the failure of this thread is the nonesense about the white working class looking down on single motherhood.

The vast majority of single mothers comes from working class communities. And not just white.
Reply 37
What utter nonsense.

You mean the media aren't an impartial arbiting body dedicated solely to nothing but the total, 100% spot on reporting of the news? It's almost like they're a business or something :colonhash:
Reply 38
So basically you're in favour of free speech providing you agree with what is being said.
Tbh i'd like to point out that white middle class guardian readers are some of the worst hypocrites going. They're off like a shot when they see too many immigrants in their own neighbourhood, a phenomenon known as 'white flight'... But people with no choice but to stay put aren't supposed to grumble.
Original post by Joinedup
So basically you're in favour of free speech providing you agree with what is being said.
Tbh i'd like to point out that white middle class guardian readers are some of the worst hypocrites going. They're off like a shot when they see too many immigrants in their own neighbourhood, a phenomenon known as 'white flight'... But people with no choice but to stay put aren't supposed to grumble.

This simply isn't true. White flight has occurred in London with white people fleeing to the outskirts of London to enjoy being around other white people but this has involved working class people, this is especially true for the working class as they tend not to own property but to either rent or live in social housing. Areas which have enjoyed strong BNP support have been areas where white flight has occurred, notably Barking & Dagenham, Burnley and Essex. Compare that to Brick Lane which has seen an influx of white, middle class artisans actually increasing the white population there.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending