Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about plagiarism

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE English Literature, for the actual exam later this month, I have a question. It may sound kind of stupid, but I want to be sure.

Lets say, for the poetry section, you memorise a really good response for certain poems, from stuff directly from online, revision guides etc

Is it possible to be accused of plagiarism in an actual exam (not controlled assessment/coursework)

I am just wondering, because I have many notes for Eng Lit from online, and last thing I want is to get accused of plagiarism, so I am just checking.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It problem depends on what you are responding to. If you avoid using exact words, then I don't think it should be a problem
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    It problem depends on what you are responding to. If you avoid using exact words, then I don't think it should be a problem
    Lets just say like, for the comparing poetry question.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)
    Lets just say like, for the comparing poetry question.
    You should be fine if you just take the idea and respond in a similar manner...after all, it is under your own response . But just avoid exact words I'd say
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ehh... you probably can't get accused if its a really small amount, but you're far better learning to be adaptable and fluid in your answers than just straight up memorising. It will help you a lot later in life if you can start to do that now. Not just in A-Levels, but in discussions and conversation.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)
    For GCSE English Literature, for the actual exam later this month, I have a question. It may sound kind of stupid, but I want to be sure.

Lets say, for the poetry section, you memorise a really good response for certain poems, from stuff directly from online, revision guides etc

Is it possible to be accused of plagiarism in an actual exam (not controlled assessment/coursework)

I am just wondering, because I have many notes for Eng Lit from online, and last thing I want is to get accused of plagiarism, so I am just checking.
    For my exams last year I compiled notes for each poem I was studying from like 20 different sources, and wrote down key-points in my notes, sometimes word for word, if they sounded good. I tried to memorise them, but in my exam I ended up kind of mixing different ones in and adapting them because I couldn't remember them properly, and anyway your response needs to be specific to your question. So yeah, I'd say you're fine using ideas/phrases you've remembered in your exam.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Odds are I wouldn't remember word for word anyway, just roughly what the idea was.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd better not memorise the exact words because the exam board could accuse you of using a mobile phone/notes brought in from home. So yeah, why not put your notes into your own words as part of your revision?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    You'd better not memorise the exact words because the exam board could accuse you of using a mobile phone/notes brought in from home. So yeah, why not put your notes into your own words as part of your revision?
    I guess lol. But surely if I was being supervised, how the heck could they accuse me of that?

As I said, I doubt I would actually remember things for the exact words, just the actual ideas and good quotes to use, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A student of mine was accused of plagiarism last year and was disqualified from all of their exams, do this at your own peril.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.