Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Psychological Study do you think is legit?

Announcements Posted on
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    A thing I've noticed in Psychology class, is you look at a study and during the procedures/findings and conclusions you're like "ohh that's really interesting" and then you get to the Evaluation and you're like "FML".

Which studies do you think are actually legit, and can be generalised to people in everyday life?

I personally think Loftus and Palmer had a good point about how certain things can add to your memory, that never happened.

This happened to me
    Spoiler:
    Show

For example, after my January Psychology exam I thought one of my answers was crappy, so I expected 0 marks on it. So I told my friends afterwards I never managed to do it, and actually believed it myself. But I gained a few marks when I saw my results in that question, so after being so convinced myself I never did the question I realised that I answered it but just crappy

Any other studies do you think has a point?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Milgram & Bandura.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The weapon focus phenomenon also by Loftus. I was involved in an incident on the bus a few months ago (albeit no actual weapons were involved, but a pervy guy on the bus tried touching me and a few other girls on the bus) and it was so weird - because I'd focused on getting out of the scary situation, I didn't focus on details like what he looked like or what he was wearing etc. - even though I'd learned this at AS and thought I'd be smart enough to not let this affect me, but it did!
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    The weapon focus phenomenon also by Loftus. I was involved in an incident on the bus a few months ago (albeit no actual weapons were involved, but a pervy guy on the bus tried touching me and a few other girls on the bus) and it was so weird - because I'd focused on getting out of the scary situation, I didn't focus on details like what he looked like or what he was wearing etc. - even though I'd learned this at AS and thought I'd be smart enough to not let this affect me, but it did!
    Oh wow

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.