The Student Room Group

Placement year - Asked to stay on for an additional year

Hi All,

I'm currently on placement making mobile apps, I'm two thirds through a Computer Games Programming degree. My employers have asked me if I want to stay on for another year. Is this beneficial towards my career in software development? Or is a single year enough?
Will doing two years even pigeon hole me into app development for a career?

I'd be on more money than this year, so thats always a benefit!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Croonix

It's nice of them to offer you a 2nd year, clearly they value you. Would you be able to do another year without dropping out of your university course? Would they perhaps consider giving you this extra year after your graduation? Do you want to work in that company once you graduate?

I wouldn't say it pigeon holes you into that area, but similarily if you aren't interested in that area then why do another year there? :tongue: I doubt having 2 years doing the same thing will prove that much more valuable then 1 year when it comes to finding a graduate job if that is what you're thinking, unless of course you want a graduate job at that company! :smile:
Original post by Croonix
Hi All,

I'm currently on placement making mobile apps, I'm two thirds through a Computer Games Programming degree. My employers have asked me if I want to stay on for another year. Is this beneficial towards my career in software development? Or is a single year enough?
Will doing two years even pigeon hole me into app development for a career?

I'd be on more money than this year, so thats always a benefit!

Thanks

It is potentially a very positive offer. You need to be clear though - will you be able to go back and complete your degree? You will need to check with uni on this. Instead, could the company hire you just in the university holidays? Are they paying you enough for you to really save and reduce your student debt? Will the give you a job after you graduate?

You should be able to negotiate with the company because although they have invested time and money in you, they obviously appreciate your work and want more of it. However, their offer puts your degree in some jeopardy and you need to work out how get some benefit out of that. The university course staff can probably give good advice.

Two years at this stage of your career won't pigeon hole you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending