Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transport Team member Volunteers Only

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else being a volunteer within the transport department. I am at the aquatics centre as a transport team member. Anyone else doing a similar role?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    These schems are run by the government to have better flow of transport services, You are into this its a good news for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the Transport Team based at Park Lane for the Olympics. Apparently there's about 1000 volunteers based there and we are responsible for transporting members of the Olympic family between their hotels and the various venues.

I did my RST last week which was interesting and included a run out in the cars we'll be driving in the area around the Excel Centre in Docklands.

VST will be at the end of June in Park Lane when we'll be expected to go out and drive as many of the Olympic Routes as possible to familiarise ourselves with the roads and venues.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm also a driver, but unlike T2 Driver, (who I'm guessing is a T2 Driver?) I'm a T3 Driver which means that I'm providing sort of a taxi service, but driving the same fancy BMWs

I'm going to be based at the Olympic Park Depot
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I imagine we'll meet up at the Olympic Park depot when we're taking clients there from our neck of the woods.

Have you come across a T1 Driver yet ? They're a pretty rare species by all accounts.

I've got some concerns about public transport but TFL are only laying on later trains from the date of the opening ceremony until the closing ceremony. I've got quite a few shifts before and after those dates so catching the last train is going to be a challenge.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T2 Driver)
    I imagine we'll meet up at the Olympic Park depot when we're taking clients there from our neck of the woods.

Have you come across a T1 Driver yet ? They're a pretty rare species by all accounts.

I've got some concerns about public transport but TFL are only laying on later trains from the date of the opening ceremony until the closing ceremony. I've got quite a few shifts before and after those dates so catching the last train is going to be a challenge.
    Hi - please quote me if you're replying otherwise I may not see your post

Nope, in fact you're the first T2 Driver I've heard from, at our RST they asked if there were any T2 or T1 drivers in and there weren't, we were all T3!

So how does it work with T2, are you assigned a few people who you will look after for the entire Games? Also you're lucky because T2 Drivers get to drive actually into the Olympic Park, whereas T3 cars have to just go to the shuttle bus point which is by Eton Manor Hockey grounds, then the clients get shuttle buses into the park Jealous!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    T1 drivers - Have one designated passenger, normally a member of the Olympic committee, and there are about 160 of them , and can take them anywhere they request. And they remain with their driver all the time they are at the games.
    T2 drivers - Collect two passengers, normally presidents or heads of sports bodies in the different country's, Sports Ministers , Ambassadors. They are called from a pool of cars when required, by the Protocol team working with the transport desk. Working on set routes
    T3 drivers as you so rightly said work again on set routes , but have to wait for the next available car. Again working on set routes.

Passengers will be advised which category of car they are entitled too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Hi - please quote me if you're replying otherwise I may not see your post

Nope, in fact you're the first T2 Driver I've heard from, at our RST they asked if there were any T2 or T1 drivers in and there weren't, we were all T3!

So how does it work with T2, are you assigned a few people who you will look after for the entire Games? Also you're lucky because T2 Drivers get to drive actually into the Olympic Park, whereas T3 cars have to just go to the shuttle bus point which is by Eton Manor Hockey grounds, then the clients get shuttle buses into the park Jealous!
    At my RST, we were told that each T2 vehicle is shared between two clients, who could be anyone in the 'Olympic Family' including the IOC, NOC's and Technical Delegates.

When we go to a venue, we have to go through a Vehicle Screening Area which is a bit like an airport security check then take out client to the drop-off point and park up and wait. I thought that was the same for all drivers, but I may be wrong.

We are at the disposal of whichever client we are working for on a given day until the end of our shift.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divingbrit)
    T1 drivers - Have one designated passenger, normally a member of the Olympic committee, and there are about 160 of them , and can take them anywhere they request. And they remain with their driver all the time they are at the games.
    T2 drivers - Collect two passengers, normally presidents or heads of sports bodies in the different country's, Sports Ministers , Ambassadors. They are called from a pool of cars when required, by the Protocol team working with the transport desk. Working on set routes
    T3 drivers as you so rightly said work again on set routes , but have to wait for the next available car. Again working on set routes.

Passengers will be advised which category of car they are entitled too.
    Well, yes, I know the difference between T1/2/3 entitlements, I'm not a complete fool :rolleyes: :P

I was asking how it works in particular for the T2 driver - i.e. will they have the same clients throughout the Games or will it change each shift.

(Original post by T2 Driver)
    At my RST, we were told that each T2 vehicle is shared between two clients, who could be anyone in the 'Olympic Family' including the IOC, NOC's and Technical Delegates.

When we go to a venue, we have to go through a Vehicle Screening Area which is a bit like an airport security check then take out client to the drop-off point and park up and wait. I thought that was the same for all drivers, but I may be wrong.

We are at the disposal of whichever client we are working for on a given day until the end of our shift.
    Yes the VSA procedure is the same for us, but as I say T2 drivers (and T1) are allowed to go right into the Olympic Park and up to the venues within it, whereas those with only T3 privileges have to be taken to the shuttle bus park if they want to go to venues within the Olympic Park.

Interesting though that those with T2 privileges are assigned the car but could end up having a number of drivers over the course of the Games.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Certainly was not suggesting anyone was, The way I heard it worked was, when the dignitaries were wanting to leave the venue, they contacted the protocol team, who then liasoned with the transport desk that is in the venue, who calls to the 'pool' which then sends any car / any driver to pick them up. Which means the T2 gets many different passengers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divingbrit)
    Certainly was not suggesting anyone was, The way I heard it worked was, when the dignitaries were wanting to leave the venue, they contacted the protocol team, who then liasoned with the transport desk that is in the venue, who calls to the 'pool' which then sends any car / any driver to pick them up. Which means the T2 gets many different passengers.
    Thats interesting, but makes sense. It means less drivers and cars rather than a 1:1 ratio. The cars are really nice btw I saw them the other day!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.