The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
so you decided to copy the name from a well known existing song?

apart from that, its a pretty damn nice song, though it certainly reminds me of the original zoot suit riot. your saxophonist is decent, he could do more with his notes though...more variance perhaps?

voice is very nice, i think the sax is my only criticism. the solo is a bit bland. he has a great sound, tell him to put some guts into his playing.

and the bass sounds fantastic.

overall pretty damn nice recording job, got any other songs?
Reply 3
Well, coming from another blues guy, wasn't really blues. More like swing. Still nice though. I liked the singers voice, though he could've probably done a bit more with it. It sounds like George Thorogood and should be singing Bad to the Bone :cool:

I wouldn't mind hearing some nice soulful blues.
Reply 4
I love it. Wouldn't call it blues though.
Reply 5
Nice song, singers voice works well! But it's definately not blues or swing - it's rock n' roll. Also agree the sax could be more interesting, or at the very least more punchy (maybe slur less, tounge more!).
Reply 6
it's called jive.
Reply 7
Thanks for the responses- yeh it is not so much blues, more old R&B
With response to your requests iv put a track on there called 'The Welfare' which is a bit more soulful.

We did record this live by the way, and for some reason the mixer messed up the sax recording.

Anyway enjoy folks
Reply 8
link to the track?

savefile.com does it one file at a time...
Reply 9
The links are at the top
Reply 10
again, the sax could do a little more than copy the guitar line but otherwise a very nice song. this is classic 12 bar blues, love it.
Reply 11
Thanks for the kind comments. Will post more songs later- hopefully get a MySpace account started....
Reply 12
Just put on- Stop Messing Around- more rock if u will
Reply 13
you really have to do something about that saxophonist. I know that i love turning some of my notes for a bit of a bluesy feel, but he's overusing the effect. aduring his solo some altissimo would kick ass if he can do it, would suit very nicely, and also some subtones would fit. talk to him about it. And for gods sake tell him to make his solos more exciting, he has a very nice sound and i'm sure hes a talented player but for me it really turns me off the song. tell him to really use the blues scale instead of single notes.

tell him to listen to one of these days by andy cowan for some inspiration. i know it may be past his skill level but some of the techniques he uses, lots of variance in rhythm and riffs too.

guitar solo sounds amazing.

also a piano would be really sweet.
Reply 14
yeh, i can see what you mean about the sax. The recording doesnt do him justice as he is a fantastic musician. I will mention your advice though.
Love it. Blues is one of my all time favourite types of music and it's good to hear people still playing it. Especially young people like myself. And especially so well.

That's the thing with blues music, especially with guitar. You can be really good at guitar, able to play some really good scales and licks, but with blues you definitely have to have soul. And that really shows when you're playing.
Reply 16
are thanks for your comments-glad we're not the only young people that still appreciate the blues
Reply 17
oh yeah.

my blues band plays old stuff, chuck berry style things. the singer has a really kickass voice and the guitarist is incredible. Most of them in the late 20's or 40's so they're professional musicians. It's pretty intimidating playing with them but incredible experience. Everyone improvises on the key except the singer, its awesome fun just jamming.
Reply 18
kool- av u got any music on the web?
Reply 19
nah we don't record, just do live gigs. recording studios here are mighty expensive, and we only do covers so there's no point in recording em anyway.

our name is shotgun pete and the decoys and we have a mean ass banner :P.

Latest