The Student Room Group

Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012 mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lol: D1

not really, Further Applied Maths :sadnod: D1 S3 and FP1

Which ones? I think it's because they assume people won't be sitting M2 and M3 in the same sitting and likewise for stats (seeing as hardly anyone does S3 and 4)

You have the weekend until FP3 and it's always like that every year!

Yes, the weekend is very welcome relief. I have econ4, S3 and FP2 consecutively though :frown:

Original post by Groat
Ah, if you feel the need to run some S2 by me, go ahead!

I seem to be revising maths much more than the rest. It's probably because I've already gotten good marks in mocks. :colondollar:

Thanks for the offer! I'm currently trying to get my head round FP3 at the minute. And same here, I've been revising Maths almost exclusively for last two weeks. I'm finally starting to appreciate what my teacher meant when he said you have to live and breath Maths to cope well with FM.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by zxh800

Thanks for the offer! I'm currently trying to get my head round FP3 at the minute. And same here, I've been revising Maths almost exclusively for last two weeks. I'm finally starting to appreciate what my teacher meant when he said you have to live and breath Maths to cope well with FM.

That's what I've been doing for weeks too! When I reach May 10th I'll stop revising FP2 and FP3 and get back on S2 and M2 for the last stretch for those two.

Come discuss FP2 and FP3, it's a good help!

Are you going for the A* in Economics, or are you not that bothered? :u:
Reply 22
Original post by Groat
That's what I've been doing for weeks too! When I reach May 10th I'll stop revising FP2 and FP3 and get back on S2 and M2 for the last stretch for those two.

Come discuss FP2 and FP3, it's a good help!

Are you going for the A* in Economics, or are you not that bothered? :u:

Good luck with those! That discussion thread seems quite useful, I might pop in sometime. Economics wise, I want an A* but I'm not sure where I'll be able to dedicate the time required to get it. Especially as I've also got History to revise which requires some heavy duty revision. I guess I'll have to juggle all three subjects giving priority to Maths, followed by History and see how it goes. So, in other words, I'll be going for it but prioritising it less than the other subjects.
Original post by zxh800
Good luck with those! That discussion thread seems quite useful, I might pop in sometime. Economics wise, I want an A* but I'm not sure where I'll be able to dedicate the time required to get it. Especially as I've also got History to revise which requires some heavy duty revision. I guess I'll have to juggle all three subjects giving priority to Maths, followed by History and see how it goes. So, in other words, I'll be going for it but prioritising it less than the other subjects.

Which areas in History are you doing?

I forget what board everyone is on... OCR? I'm guessing you didn't do January modules?

Original post by zxh800
Yes, the weekend is very welcome relief. I have econ4, S3 and FP2 consecutively though :frown:

It's always the last exam :biggrin: at least you dont have to do STEP like some people! I remember last year it was STEP1 FP2 STEP II FP2 and then STEP III or something!

I have Macro A2, then C4 and S3 :smile: I'm not too fussed though
Reply 24
Which areas in History are you doing?

I forget what board everyone is on... OCR? I'm guessing you didn't do January modules?

I'm on Edexcel, instead of a Jan module I had coursework. Topics wise for the coursework we did it on Russia 1680-1796 and in the summer the topic is England from 1628-1650s covering the reign of Charles I, the Civil War and Cromwell's protectorate.

It's always the last exam :biggrin: at least you dont have to do STEP like some people! I remember last year it was STEP1 FP2 STEP II FP2 and then STEP III or something!

I have Macro A2, then C4 and S3 :smile: I'm not too fussed though

Oooh, that's nasty. I feel for the mathmos.
Are statistics modules really important for an econ applicant? They are a breeze but so boring. I've pretty much done FP3 just need to finish a few papers but really cba doing any S2 even though it's in under 3 weeks :redface:

On an unrelated note, I am not a 2012 applicant but since you guys did so well at AS is it okay if I ask for some tips on economics unit 2? I do Edexcel but it's pretty much the same as the other boards. I find it quite difficult to mark my own 30 mark essays, what kinds of tips do you guys have to really nail a good economics essay? I did well in unit 1 but that was quite easy tbh, doesn't help having mediocre teachers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Extricated
Are statistics modules really important for an econ applicant? They are a breeze but so boring. I've pretty much done FP3 just need to finish a few papers but really cba doing any S2 even though it's in under 3 weeks :redface:

You're doing FP3 as a year 12?!
Original post by zxh800
I'm on Edexcel, instead of a Jan module I had coursework. Topics wise for the coursework we did it on Russia 1680-1796 and in the summer the topic is England from 1628-1650s covering the reign of Charles I, the Civil War and Cromwell's protectorate.

Oooh, that's nasty. I feel for the mathmos.

Me too! (the exam board front was in reference to economics :tongue:) I think most schools go edexcel for history because all the other ones are just... strange. I meant jan modules for Econ. Nice, you sure do a lot of early modern history.

The mathmos are insane so :smile: I'm sure they're okay with it.

On an unrelated note, I am not a 2012 applicant but since you guys did so well at AS is it okay if I ask for some tips on economics unit 2? I do Edexcel but it's pretty much the same as the other boards. I find it quite difficult to mark my own 30 mark essays, what kinds of tips do you guys have to really nail a good economics essay? I did well in unit 1 but that was quite easy tbh, doesn't help having mediocre teachers.

Not as important as pure maths. In interviews (if you have any) they will be asking pure maths questions although some of S2 is relevant I guess to Economics with hypothesis testing and if you apply to Cambridge they will not look lightly on the fact that you got a much lower UMS. Remember that for some universities (Bath) you will have to declare grades for every subject (not sure about unit)

they have 30 mark essays? That's strange. Basically: Define key terms, explain and apply economic theory to question (2 points or more) evaluate on why theory is not the case (the however bla di bla bit). Come to overall judgement/decide which factor is most significant depending on question. Every sentence should relate to question.
Original post by -Illmatic-
You're doing FP3 as a year 12?!

FP2 and FP3 :tongue:

I do Edexcel, basically just learn the mark scheme...
Reply 30

I don't mind having a look at some of your 30 mark essays if you think that will help. It will probably be mutually beneficial so PM me if you want.
Original post by jamiepango
I do Edexcel, basically just learn the mark scheme...

May I ask what you got in unit 2? I got 99 in econ 1 pretty much through that method..hope it works in unit 2.
Original post by Tateco
I don't mind having a look at some of your 30 mark essays if you think that will help. It will probably be mutually beneficial so PM me if you want.

Thanks for the offer :smile: When I've typed some up I'd love to PM you :tongue:
May I ask what you got in unit 2? I got 99 in econ 1 pretty much through that method..hope it works in unit 2.

Ah in that case, I think you have it pretty much sorted :tongue: I got 91 in unit 2
Reply 34
Anyone taking the OCR F585 exam? :u:
Original post by Groat
Anyone taking the OCR F585 exam? :u:

:biggrin: China China China China

souhaitez-vous échange des essais?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
:biggrin: China China China China

souhaitez-vous échange des essais?

I haven't done any essays so far! I'm at the stage where I'm currently writing my predictions for what questions will come up.

What are you hoping for in this module?
Original post by Groat
I haven't done any essays so far! I'm at the stage where I'm currently writing my predictions for what questions will come up.

What are you hoping for in this module?

o.O what... as in actually zero? Don't you get set homework essays!? Ah I love how you predict it, yeah I think it will either be: sustainability or re-balancing

100 :ninja: But I'll settle for 82
Reply 38
o.O what... as in actually zero? Don't you get set homework essays!? Ah I love how you predict it, yeah I think it will either be: sustainability or re-balancing

100 :ninja: But I'll settle for 82

A certain mishap with teachers has meant we haven't had any lessons after the stimulus was released. Sustainability is a clear focus, I'd agree with you there. I'm quite confident I can answer whatever comes up to get 82/100! :u:
Original post by Groat
A certain mishap with teachers has meant we haven't had any lessons after the stimulus was released. Sustainability is a clear focus, I'd agree with you there. I'm quite confident I can answer whatever comes up to get 82/100! :u:

Sounds like quite a big mishap... what happened there!? :lolwut:

Urgh, but development is so dull. I couldn't fathom interest even if I tried. Did you do transport or W&L?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending