The Student Room Group

whats the point in general studies?

Basically the title of the thread ... What point do you see in GS?

Most people at my 6th form treat it as a doss around. I know someone whose attendance was about 30% but got a B and he didnt revise. Plus many unis dont accept it.

So what is the point? And why do i know of so many 6th forms that make students do it? Although one of them gives them an option of GS and critical thinking if you dont do 5 ASes.
Reply 1
Original post by Clare~Bear
Basically the title of the thread ... What point do you see in GS?

Most people at my 6th form treat it as a doss around. I know someone whose attendance was about 30% but got a B and he didnt revise. Plus many unis dont accept it.

So what is the point? And why do i know of so many 6th forms that make students do it? Although one of them gives them an option of GS and critical thinking if you dont do 5 ASes.

Because it benefits the school/ sixth form.

Schools/ Sixth forms are judged (their position and quality) largely on how many people achieve above a C, or how many people pass on average. GS and Critical thinking are both exams that everyone should pass. So if the school makes everyone take GS, then that will increase their % pass at A level. And if they increase their % pass at A level statistic, they will be higher up the league tables, and they will be considered a "good school".

Like you said, I don't think it benefits students at all. It may if an offer does not mention that GS is excluded, but that is rare.

Quick Reply

Latest