Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is there a relationship between internet popularity and real life unpopularity?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering as my french cousins commented that my karma was all red and how that is bad however that does not reflect the love, affection, social status, intellect etc etc i have in real life.

However when i see people who have high karma SOME (not all) look really weedy and unpopular and unhappy. I know that this is a stereotype to think people form the internet are lonely and i think it is wrong, specifically for out generation as everyone is on some form of online communication/network/forumming.

Is there a definitive link between your online/offline personality, popularity and social security?
    BTW THIS IS AN INTELECTUAL QUESTION

mod pls let me know if this is in the wrong forum, i thought perhaps chats would be right but this is an everyday issue for some of our more extreme users.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Online Popularity = You're a tosser in real life.

Offline Popularity = You're a tosser in real life.

Just my 2 cents.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    On twitter, the group of "twitter famous" 16 year olds who think they own twitter and are actually genuinely famous are all ********s who I can bet don't have any friends in real life and don't know how to hold a conversation without a keyboard.

I've never really been "popular" on the interent, I wouldn't say I have any close bonds with anyone I met on the internet. Then again, I'm not very popular in real life either. Maybe I'm just not a very interesting person?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If there is a correlation, it's probably that the more popular you are online, the more popular you are offline. If you've red reputation you're almost certainly a ****er.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it. Basically everyone goes online these days. Some people do seem a little odd socially on here but there's enough sound people with 5 or 6 green gem things. So I'd say yes and no.

Although I would say that sometimes people, me included, come on here purely to have a joke and sometimes this doesn't sit well with sone people who go on forums to find refuge from their lonely daily life.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unpopular irl=turn to internet
    people who turn to the internet turn to trolling=unpopular online

people unpopular irl=people unpopular online.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm popular in neither sphere, but I can imagine a correlation either way.

If you are unpopular offline, you may turn to online friends and be more sociable on the internet; and if you are popular offline, you don't necessarily require as much social stimulation from the internet as you interact more with people away from the internet.

However, if you are popular offline, you may well just be natural outgoing, friendly etc and people will be drawn to you both off and on the internet, in the same way as someone unpopular offline may be shy and withdrawn/a tosspot in both.
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the most popular person on TSR by any means, but I think I seem to be fairly popular amongst certain groups of people on here. Whereas in real life, it is sort of the same in that I've never really been particularly popular, but I've still managed to somehow get a few people liking me . I just try ot be myself most of the time, and whatever happens, happens.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It will of course vary but I would expect those who are popular on the internet to be popular in real life. It does still take some confidence to post a message on facebook or put up a picture, and witty/funny comments/threads would seem to come better to those who are wittier/funnier in real life.

Then again, I'm sure there are some people out there who are the opposite.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, it's like those scene kids on bebo who used to have about 10000 friends yet had 2 in real life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm unpopular in both.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    If there is a correlation, it's probably that the more popular you are online, the more popular you are offline. If you've red reputation you're almost certainly a ****er.
    Lol how you say that, when you yourself have red reputation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always liked to write jokes but am absolutely awful at telling them, so I generally use the net to try and make people laugh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well ive got a friend who is social glue where ever he goes. i think he could walk into a room and instantly make friends, and he does the same on the net. Forums, fb groups you name it. I think we should send him as a champion of peace to war torn countries. He'd probably do better than the UN negotiators, he'd get a ceaase fire and new shoes for everyone. Its just personality at the end of it. If your shy in person and dont open up you wont become popular or unpopular as people wont have a chance to find out anything about you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    On twitter, the group of "twitter famous" 16 year olds who think they own twitter and are actually genuinely famous are all ********s who I can bet don't have any friends in real life and don't know how to hold a conversation without a keyboard.

I've never really been "popular" on the interent, I wouldn't say I have any close bonds with anyone I met on the internet. Then again, I'm not very popular in real life either. Maybe I'm just not a very interesting person?
    Love it!

@OP - I don't think you're a real person

Regardless, I know lots of people who are popular, online and off. Essentially though, your main correlation is correct due to popular people online maintaining their popularity online, thus detracting from social potential offline, and vice versa
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people can get more confidence to talk on the internet and discover they are, in fact, rather popular and interesting people.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think TSR is different.

You often get 'good stuff' for helping people out academically, reading through their stuff, giving hints and tips, sending good notes and all that kind of stuff.

The people who do that would typically be people who are not necessarily unpopular but choose, or make no effort otherwise, to have less friends.

Mainly using myself as an example. I try and help people as best as I can. I don't really know how the green things actually go up, or the red ones, but I haven't got into red yet so. Either way, I'm not unpopular in real life, I just don't really care. I have a few friends, lots of mates and that's about it.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think people who are unpopular in "real life" are possibly more likely to turn to the internet to find friends, and would make more of an effort. For me, I am a genuinely nice person (I promise, haha) but I'm incredibly shy when talking to new people, and as a result have never been "popular".. although I do have plenty of friends who I've built up over the years.

The internet gives me the chance to be myself, because I'm not worried about people judging me (although this is possibly a stupid thing to say on TSR where people judge you from you uni/relationship status/Y6 SATS scores etc). I can talk to people without worrying that they're going to hit me or immediately shout me down (bullied at school- quite badly) and can talk to people with similar interests .
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, rep isn't karma.

Secondly, certainly in my case, my rep's only high ish because I give out some decent advice in the careers section here [or at least, like to think I do]. Am I popular? Highly doubt it.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have a mortal fear of becoming popular which automatically prevents people from ever getting too 'close', lest they should realise that beneath my exhibitionist exterior, witty puns and general bonhomie I'm essentially an introvert who shuns regular company in favour of reading, playing videogames, and pursuing endless (but almost invariably short-lived) pet projects.

If you're among the few exceptions to this rule, then congratulations: you've made yourself a friend for life, albeit a somewhat narcissistic and emotionally-distant one. Perhaps 'commiserations' would be more apt?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 6, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.