Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is there a relationship between internet popularity and real life unpopularity?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by 'internet popularity'. Facebook and Twitter is totally different to TSR, firstly because you're not anonymous.
    I'm not on Twitter but I know some people who are, mainly for their work. Those who have a lot of followers tend to be social people.
    As for Facebook, I'm only friends with people I've met at some point. I don't really know anyone who has few friends and take the opportunity to add randomers. Sure you can give an image of yourself that is attractive, but in the end, people upload pictures from things the actually do. If a person has a photo from NY, they are in NY, if they have a photo from Rome with a bunch of friends, well - that's what they're doing. Nobody add photos of themselves doing the dishes though, it's the same for everybody.
    You can be more enthusiastic when writing comments and posts than in real life, but in the grand total, the impression I get from facebook from my friends is more or less true. Those who appear 'popular', usually are. I don't have any girlfriends who resemble some of the things people describe on here though - posing in the bathroom doing duckfaces and all that.
    I think things have changed since almost everbody's online now. For example fashion bloggers - some of the most read bloggers are popular girls in real life.

As for TSR, meh I don't know. I suppose a lot of people can be more 'blunt' online, which will gove you neg rep. Regarding the OP; people on here don't like rich people, or people who live in Chelsea/Kensington (yet they love MIC..don't get that), so that might be reason behind your neg.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconcernedparent)
    It depends what you mean by 'internet popularity'. Facebook and Twitter is totally different to TSR, firstly because you're not anonymous.
    You can be perfectly anonymous on twitter if you so wish.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about popularity, but I personally find it much easier and much more fun to speak with people on the internet than I do in real life. Mostly because all those small nuances (tone of voice, facial expressions etc.) aren't there and it's all about the words (and occasionally smileys) that people use, which makes everything far less confusing and a lot clearer.

At school, I tend to be very withdrawn and spend a lot of time by myself and am quite quiet, but I find that a forum like TSR gives socially awkward people like me the opportunity to converse and share opinions and debate and so on. I suppose that people who are too shy or too awkward to do that in real life (and thus are quite unpopular) could be very able to do that online and become very popular indeed.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends ultimately on the person. I actually found when I was younger, had low self confidence and poor social skills I found it very difficult to post online and mostly lurked. My increased posting on TSR actually coincided with actually making some friends and having a social life. I wouldn't say that I'm extremely popular irl or anything, but I don't think you can conclude 5 green gems = social reject either :lol: people are all different
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, there are different kinds of internet popularity. I like to think the green gem things we get given on here are awarded for talking sense (^^^ 5 green sense-talking gems thank you very much!!!). People with the red ones seem to usually just spout a load of *******s. I don't consider myself "popular" on here though, there's no one on here that I "know" or have any 1 to 1 contact with, and people seem to like me in real life, as far as I can tell.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    I don't know about popularity, but I personally find it much easier and much more fun to speak with people on the internet than I do in real life. Mostly because all those small nuances (tone of voice, facial expressions etc.) aren't there and it's all about the words (and occasionally smileys) that people use, which makes everything far less confusing and a lot clearer.
    But... It's things like facial expressions and tone that make 'reading' and understanding people in person so much easier.

Unless you have AS or something, but then (if you're anything like some of my friends)... You'll be even worse at picking up things like sarcasm through online conversation than in person.

I don't think I'm any more or less popular on the internet than in person. I can get on with people and pretend to like them fine either way, but unless there's some genuine benefit to doing so.. I don't. I don't like a lot of people and I see no reason to accumulate pseudo friends in some retarded and immature attempt to make myself look 'KEWL' to the very people I dislike.

I do pity the people that actually feel compelled to do this. Such levels of insecurity must suck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You can be perfectly anonymous on twitter if you so wish.
    Ah ok. I just assumed. Those I know whom are active on Twitter do so to promote themselves or their work, so it would be public. I got the impression most people are themselves there. But I'm not part of it, so not completely informed.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    If you've red reputation you're almost certainly a ****er.
    Wise words from the user with a shiny red gem. :rolleyes:
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I seem to have a mortal fear of becoming popular which automatically prevents people from ever getting too 'close', lest they should realise that beneath my exhibitionist exterior, witty puns and general bonhomie I'm essentially an introvert who shuns regular company in favour of reading, playing videogames, and pursuing endless (but almost invariably short-lived) pet projects.

If you're among the few exceptions to this rule, then congratulations: you've made yourself a friend for life, albeit a somewhat narcissistic and emotionally-distant one. Perhaps 'commiserations' would be more apt?
    Very good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punk Phloyd)
    Nope, I'm unpopular in both.
    Sorry, this made me laugh. :teehee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    But... It's things like facial expressions and tone that make 'reading' and understanding people in person so much easier.

Unless you have AS or something, but then (if you're anything like some of my friends)... You'll be even worse at picking up things like sarcasm through online conversation than in person.
    ...Bingo. :lol:

I'm pretty used to sarcasm and irony and the like because it's pretty much the language of my household... Also, it's quite a simple form of humour, so I suppose it's quite easy for AS people to understand.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    ...Bingo. :lol:

I'm pretty used to sarcasm and irony and the like because it's pretty much the language of my household... Also, it's quite a simple form of humour, so I suppose it's quite easy for AS people to understand.

It's not really 'simple' in so much as the brain is concerned, and it's usually something that people on the autistic spectrum really struggle with. ;p
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloanegirl)
    BTW THIS IS AN INTELECTUAL QUESTION
    lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends....I used to have a friend that would be really chatty online but she's not sociable at all in reality and couldn't hold a conversation with people she didn't know already for ****. She has trouble making new friends and is extremely shy. And there was another girl like that at my school too, 'popular' and chatty online but she had no friends irl and she was often seen just standing around on the playground throughout the whole of lunch and break on her own.

I think really genuine people can be popular online and in reality. I'm not saying that if you're popular online then you automatically have no friends irl but there are ALOT of people that are just popular and talkative online but socially awkward in reality and have no friends whatsoever. Maybe they're just that way to kinda make up for their lack of friends in reality. But I guess famous youtubers are kinda evidence for people that can be popular online and irl.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuckingFut)
    Wise words from the user with a shiny red gem. :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    blahblahblah
    See a psychiatrist Profesh. I thought you might fix yourself over the years but it's just becoming worse especially after your failed attempt at university. You're retreating into psuedo-intellectualism to provide a crutch to your damaged and fragile ego.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    See a psychiatrist Profesh. I thought you might fix yourself over the years but it's just becoming worse especially after your failed attempt at university.
    I'm gainfully employed and, despite my idle ruminations, quite happy. Although this sort of crypto-fascist demagoguery:

Inciting any form of deliquent behaviour, nevermind islamism - is more then enough for us to remove him. If he has problems in Jordan, he should of thought of that before engaging in anti-british activities.
    Suggests that you could do worse than to lead by example, o physician.

You're retreating into psuedo-intellectualism to provide a crutch to your damaged and fragile ego.
    As above.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm gainfully employed and, despite my idle ruminations, quite happy. Although this sort of crypto-fascist demagoguery:

Suggests that you could do worse than to lead by example, o physician.

As above.

Touche.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've thought there was an inverse correlation between TSR popularity and popularity IRL for a while now. But I thought if I called the people with loads of rep 'forever alone' I'd quickly obtain a rep of -500. But then, if the theory holds, I might become more popular in real life. :beard:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.