Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Well.. Five years have passed so here goes!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good morning all,

I'm not sure where to begin or if this is how to use my first post on the forum but here goes -

First things first, as you may have gathered - I'm Sam. Nice to meet you

Anyway, I've spent the past 5 years of my life outside of school in the work environment. The first two were spent as an Entertainer at Warwick Castle and the three that followed were spent in a small care home for elderly people that suffer either functional (depression, bi-polar ect) or organic (Dementia) mental illnesses. In my short work experience I've found that being in a clinical environment truly suits me and I am sure it is where I want to be.

My time in education was.. Difficult to say the least. My attendance during GCSE was below 65% (I wasn't ill - Just didn't want to be there) and as soon as I hit 16, education went out of the window. Luckily, somehow I managed to scrape by with 7 GCSEs above C, science being above B. Throughout my life I've had an underlying obsession with 'how' and 'why', therefore science is and always will be a strong passion of mine.

I'm rambling now but I've always liked to know the person I'm talking to so I offer this to who ever takes the time to get to know me just this little bit.

I could and have placed blame on many different things for my complete rejection of education and really, my failure to myself but truly, I am all there is to blame. People can give me labels and tell me "you will struggle because of____" but I think every one has a little more of something and a little less of something else. One bonus that comes of having 'a little less of something' is I'm statemented! Lol. The extra time given does come in handy.

In the past 5 years I've gradually realised that I am addicted to learning - Although it hasn't been in school, it's all I do. The time I've had away from it has shown me that now I am ready, truly ready to go to the next level. It's amazing what a few years can do! I feel that I and any one can achieve Anything if it's what THEY want to do, not what is wanted of them. Now it is Exactly what I want to do, I am happy to aim high because I know I can achieve it. Yesterday I attended a college interview for a full time A level course and believe it or not, with my track record, was given a place Delighted to say the least! I will be starting in September this year (Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Philosophy).

I am more than aware that this will utterly shock me and it's not going to be anything near a walk in the park but I finally feel committed and ready, for me. I've moved back with my parents (luckily I have very supportive parents that are more than happy and understand my decision to leave work and return to education, as does my other half).

I am sure I will be offered much advice and guidance from you in the coming days, weeks, months and years so for now I give you this advice -

Stay in education for YOU. I've wasted five years of my life. I could be well on my way through a course at Uni by now but I decided that Education has no importance to me. I cannot put down in words how much it needs to mean to you - It is Purely for You. The years you put in now will be multiplied tenfold in reward for the years to come.

All my thanks and regards,

Sam.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR Sam, it's great to hear that you've found the area of learning which you enjoy.

It's interesting to hear how other people find their way. I hope you have every success at college and I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback here when you need it, as your course progresses.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.