Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If EVERY animal in the world turned against us, could we survive?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    x
    You'd still struggle in places like Australia if one of these poisonous spider species decided to kill people in their sleep.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    on the one hand we have animal vs. sa80 ... animal looses
    on the other hand we need animals and bugs to survive so if they decided [bugs inparticular] to stop doing their busys pollenating etc etc we'd be in trouble, no?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our best chance would be to live in a city. No animals apart from the odd bug and rat which could be destroyed easily...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    This was posted on another forum but I wanted to see what the Sheldons of TSR thought.

If every animal in the world, including bugs, tried to wipe out the human race, would we have any chance of survival?
    U aware?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    i dont think we would...
    yes if we have weapons we can wipe them out... how many people have weapons readily available in their house?
    i dont... my uncle has a few shot guns... but im pretty sure we'd be gone before anyone came to the rescue...
    a lot of animals are a lot more agile, and a lot faster than people... id soo not want to take on my sisters cat he's bad enough when he's just "playing" all we have around here is farm animals, deer, and the infamous "black panther" ...... and well ok a cow wont be able to bite/scratch you but they can crush... you my uncle had an evil cow it broke his ribs, it would try and charge people and crush them against walls/gates
    and has anyone seen black sheep! :|

were all doooooooomed
    x
    You're naive if you think large animals would be a problem.
    The amount of advanced, super powerful weaponry at our disposal would make them a non issue.

The real problem is insects, imagine if every spider, wasp/bee, ant, fly and every bug you can think of came for us all at once. We'd be done.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We would win but the animals would probably kill a lot of people by surprise. If they were all against us then there'd be no reason not to start spraying DDT everywhere to exterminate all insect life, and would could certainly wipe out mammal/reptile life (we have enough in captivity in battery farms that we could still use animals for food), and there's not much that aquatic life could do against us.

The biggest problem would be keeping plants and crops pollinated after our victory, but that's quite doable.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am more worried about the chances for survival for the animals from us. Bees are now seriously endangered in this country and many others for example - wild bees are bordering on extinction in Britain. People may not realise, but the human race is severely dependent on bees. If we don't want to end up only subsisting on a thin white gruel made from mushrooms that is.

The cause is apparently neurotoxins in the new generation of pesticides - these are already being banned in some countries. In Britain, the government agency responsible, DEFRA, says there is no evidence, so they won't be doing anything. They appear to be playing their usual role of defending the large corporations who manufacture the relevant chemicals.

Bees are one example but in Britain many species we grew up with and assumed were here to stay are now severely threatened. Sparrows, hedgehogs, toads and frogs, many species of tree. The list is a long one.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    You'd still struggle in places like Australia if one of these poisonous spider species decided to kill people in their sleep.
    Whilst I agree certain species present an issue to life today, its not really something that threatens the entire human race, nor even the population of Australia.

The advanced level of anti-venoms today generally means that if you can reach the hospital in time, you're laughing. Granted if you were bitten more then once, or once with either an allergy or bitten in an area away from more people you'd be in serious trouble, but for the most part it'd be fine. We have mountains of poisions designed to kill insects, some specifically designed to kill species of Spider like the Tunnel Web Spider, etc.

These issues aren't directly challenged today on two points:

1) The number of people in danger isn't that high, people are aware now of how to prevent spiders and other poisionous insects coming into your house period, this aided by the fact that simple precautions like netting can create a completely safe environment to sleep in eliminate the issue.

2) The cost. Though, if a situation dictated that major counters towards an increase in insect attacks, they would switch priorities and start to piosion large areas of land with chemicals directly mixed to counter whatever was moving into more urbanised areas.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I agree certain species present an issue to life today, its not really something that threatens the entire human race, nor even the population of Australia.

The advanced level of anti-venoms today generally means that if you can reach the hospital in time, you're laughing. Granted if you were bitten more then once, or once with either an allergy or bitten in an area away from more people you'd be in serious trouble, but for the most part it'd be fine. We have mountains of poisions designed to kill insects, some specifically designed to kill species of Spider like the Tunnel Web Spider, etc.

These issues aren't directly challenged today on two points:

1) The number of people in danger isn't that high, people are aware now of how to prevent spiders and other poisionous insects coming into your house period, this aided by the fact that simple precautions like netting can create a completely safe environment to sleep in eliminate the issue.

2) The cost. Though, if a situation dictated that major counters towards an increase in insect attacks, they would switch priorities and start to piosion large areas of land with chemicals directly mixed to counter whatever was moving into more urbanised areas.
    There aren't any threats to the human species from animal life that aren't easily controlled - or that we as a race haven't manufactured. Given that viruses and parasites are forms of animal life and we directly mutate them via the over-liberal use of antibiotics and other interventions, the biggest threat (potential epidemics or untreatable parasites like malaria) comes from our own "work".
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    Aren't there something ridiculous like 100 millions ants per human on the planet?

If we bomb entire continents, where would the people go? We can't really transport them using the sea, road or air because the fish would take down any ship, would be impossible to use the roads and the birds would take down anything in the air.
    1/5th of every living thing is a beetle.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney)
    If every other species turned against us then we would be screwed. If it was just animals, I think we could cope, but the birds and especially insects would have us for breakfast, lunch and possibly hors d'oeuvre.
    Birds and insects are animals.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    Bird and insects are animals, all species are.
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Birds and insects are animals.
    Yes, I was using the term colloquially, not as in all members of the animal kingdom, although I probably should have been clearer .
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Easily, we'd win outright. Though there would be casulties.

Refer to above. How do you figure birds would take us? Those two meter tall Terror Birds that use to bumble around North America a few thousand years ago are dead, they are the only things that would present a threat. Smaller birds in larger numbers don't have the beaks nor claws to damage us on mass. Besides, even if they did, we'd just lock ourselves in armoured vehicles.
    My thoughts were that the birds could attack all forms of air travel as was suggested by another user, taking down planes and what not?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hm, whilst most of the discussion here has centred on whether or not we could fight off bears, I think the main issue would be food supply.
    There's the obvious problem with livestock, mainly due to the fact that facilities would have to be reinforced to stop enraged cattle/chickens/salmon running amok.
    Also, there's the less obvious problem of super-intelligent, anthropomorphic creatures like locusts decimating crops and food stores.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belowski)
    100% animal victory guaranteed.

Think about it. They vastly outnumber us, and have infiltrated every part of our society. If they ever turned on us we would be finished. First of all, there are millions of dogs in households, many of them barely contained killing machines. If they went berserk, they could easily kill at least several million. Birds could easily ground all air traffic by flying into plane engines and helicopter rotors, killing millions more. Then think about the damage that could be done by focused attacks of insect hordes, targeting our crops and causing widespread famine. Furthermore, insects that carry diseases such as ticks and mosquitoes would potentially decimate the population via biological warfare. Same with rats, squirrels, and rabbits that are rampant in urban and suburban areas. These same beasts could also knock out the power grid and our electronic communications and internet by chewing through cables and destroying sensitive components. In rural and isolated areas, large predators such as bears and wolves could overrun the sparse human populace, utilizing a blitzkrieg of bold night time raids. Vast herds of cattle would stampede through our defences, pulverizing anyone who opposed them beneath bloody hooves.

Yep, I think it's fair to say... animals kick ASS!

Excellent piece of literacy writing

A Coup d'état by animals would pretty much wipe us all. I am not scared of the lions, or the tigers, but the owls! :shivers:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    You're naive if you think large animals would be a problem.
    The amount of advanced, super powerful weaponry at our disposal would make them a non issue.

The real problem is insects, imagine if every spider, wasp/bee, ant, fly and every bug you can think of came for us all at once. We'd be done.
    you ignored my "but it would take too long to get to us" they would start in the towns and cities i dont live in a town or city i live in an area where yes many of the farmers have shot guns... but there are also LOADS of animals... loads where there owner doesnt live right by them, we dont have weaponry unless we were able to run over the cows and sheep i would be quite deaded rather soon
    x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belowski)
    100% animal victory guaranteed.

Think about it. They vastly outnumber us, and have infiltrated every part of our society. If they ever turned on us we would be finished. First of all, there are millions of dogs in households, many of them barely contained killing machines. If they went berserk, they could easily kill at least several million. Birds could easily ground all air traffic by flying into plane engines and helicopter rotors, killing millions more. Then think about the damage that could be done by focused attacks of insect hordes, targeting our crops and causing widespread famine. Furthermore, insects that carry diseases such as ticks and mosquitoes would potentially decimate the population via biological warfare. Same with rats, squirrels, and rabbits that are rampant in urban and suburban areas. These same beasts could also knock out the power grid and our electronic communications and internet by chewing through cables and destroying sensitive components. In rural and isolated areas, large predators such as bears and wolves could overrun the sparse human populace, utilizing a blitzkrieg of bold night time raids. Vast herds of cattle would stampede through our defences, pulverizing anyone who opposed them beneath bloody hooves.

Yep, I think it's fair to say... animals kick ASS!
    Do animals do kamikaze? :eek:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    Of course you can nuke the sea. Why wouldn't you be able to?
    And with enough nukes we could destroy the entire planet
    But surely they would explode on impact of hitting the surface, in which case how would you kill those right at the bottom and besides they is a hell of a lot of water to hide you. You couldn't hit all of it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No way.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't there a simpsons episode when the dolphins started killing people?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.