Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If EVERY animal in the world turned against us, could we survive?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    The insects would absolutely destroy us.

"some scientists estimate that for ever human alive today there are 200 million insects"

"At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion (10000000000000000000) individual insects alive"

Imagine being attacked by 200000000 ants at once.

But then we could take them all out, and ourselves, by launching a bunch of nukes.
    The cockroaches are laughing and saying `come at me bro`

This would make a great video game though, much better than the standard survival zombie games we're getting recently, it'd be great walking around somewhere in a tropical rainforest, or african plain, where `everything` is trying to kill you....
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    But surely they would explode on impact of hitting the surface, in which case how would you kill those right at the bottom and besides they is a hell of a lot of water to hide you. You couldn't hit all of it.
    Most bombs, including nukes, don't explode on impact. If you dropped 500 nukes per 100 square miles across every part of every ocean, the world would literally disintegrate (maybe you'd need more, but that's not the point).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    We'd be dead - end of.

If all animals wilfully wanted us dead we would be overrun. You'd be surprised how many spiders, rats, cockroaches etc crawled out of the woodwork :erm: It's the ugly bugs that would be our downfall. Can't combat them effectively.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    you ignored my "but it would take too long to get to us" they would start in the towns and cities i dont live in a town or city i live in an area where yes many of the farmers have shot guns... but there are also LOADS of animals... loads where there owner doesnt live right by them, we dont have weaponry unless we were able to run over the cows and sheep i would be quite deaded rather soon
    x
    I knew you'd say this.
    And it's still not really a big deal, in the first 2-3 days of the animal attack we (as humans) would be caught off guard and yeah they'll be a few deaths at the beginning because of this. But after the millitary have gotten involved, when the remaining humans have gotten together and have had time to regroup (given weapons/laid out a fighting strategy/time of attack) the large animals you keep going on about wouldn't stand a chance
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    No we would all die. Not least because if every animal in the world turned against us, that would include.. us.

Also - even excluding humans, the animals don't actively have to kill us. Depending on their dedication to the cause (as it may involve self-sacrifice), they can simply stop the food chain that we all rely upon.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Should I go down stairs and kill my cats and its 3 kittens just encase?

EDIT: OMG i was 'kitten' on I love em

see what I did there?
    You have cat to be kitten me right meow?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    I knew you'd say this.
    And it's still not really a big deal, in the first 2-3 days of the animal attack we (as humans) would be caught off guard and yeah they'll be a few deaths at the beginning because of this. But after the millitary have gotten involved, when the remaining humans have gotten together and have had time to regroup (given weapons/laid out a fighting strategy/time of attack) the large animals you keep going on about wouldn't stand a chance
    i get what your saying... and i agree n the majority... im not sure it would be "a few deaths" ... i think most of the country folk would be gone you'd be left with your townies... there are god many many times more animals than there are people within 10 miles of my house.... there are farms, small holdings, goose and turkey farm, horses personal and riding school and horse looking after place (whatever they call them where people pay someone else to have their horse...), a llama farm, deer (several varieties), badgers, foxes, all the birds, bugs, you have people who have chickens, pigs and sheep as pets!... and... a safari park :|!

ok if animals turned on people in a we wont search them out kind of way yes we'd be fine, but if they were actively searching out people to kill it would be bye bye lots im sure, and i think country people are top of the list....
    x
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney)
    My thoughts were that the birds could attack all forms of air travel as was suggested by another user, taking down planes and what not?
    Unless they have found tyranical leaders with intelligence, I don't think we should worry about that.

Its very, very rare that any animal will willingly sacrifice itself. It has been known to happen, Lemmings will kill themselves to equate population in an area, some sick animals have been known to lead alligators (or Crocs, I forget which is which) towards them so the main bulk of a herd can move on unhindered.

However, there is a key sub-concious imprint within pretty much every living creature and that is to survive. Especially within humans, but also within other animals. It is very rare that a society will openly subject themselves to suicide. There have been times within the last few years when most North Koreans would blindly charge the DMZ if asked, and its happened before throughout human history too. Specifically the term "Beserker" often targets blood-thirsty warriors with absolutely no regard for their own well being. If you want to call this suicide, people would be hard pressed to argue.

I sincerly doubt, however, birds would willingly throw themselves into engines. It is rare for a bird strike on planes as it is, cases that have been recorded are typically in one of two locations:

1) An area of heavy cloud cover. The plane or flock of birds has come out of a cloud straight into the other.

2) At airports, an aircarft generates a significantly higher sound when taking off, this will scare birds up from trees or the ground and in the confusion they are sucked into the engines.

It is also worth noting that whilst there have been somewhere under a dozen cases of birdstrikes actually bringing a plane down, as far as I know no one has yet died from a bird strike.

A documentary about Luton airport showed what can happen with a birdstrike and this plane, when it crashed, looked unrecognisable and yet no one was hurt. :dontknow:

Regardless, I doubt its much of an issue. Firstly they wouldn't have the mental processes capable, secondly it would take a significant amount to destory an aircraft and finally, they have to fly either faster then the aircraft or just hope to be in the right place at the right time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Unless they have found tyranical leaders with intelligence, I don't think we should worry about that.

Its very, very rare that any animal will willingly sacrifice itself. It has been known to happen, Lemmings will kill themselves to equate population in an area, some sick animals have been known to lead alligators (or Crocs, I forget which is which) towards them so the main bulk of a herd can move on unhindered.

However, there is a key sub-concious imprint within pretty much every living creature and that is to survive. Especially within humans, but also within other animals. It is very rare that a society will openly subject themselves to suicide. There have been times within the last few years when most North Koreans would blindly charge the DMZ if asked, and its happened before throughout human history too. Specifically the term "Beserker" often targets blood-thirsty warriors with absolutely no regard for their own well being. If you want to call this suicide, people would be hard pressed to argue.

I sincerly doubt, however, birds would willingly throw themselves into engines. It is rare for a bird strike on planes as it is, cases that have been recorded are typically in one of two locations:

1) An area of heavy cloud cover. The plane or flock of birds has come out of a cloud straight into the other.

2) At airports, an aircarft generates a significantly higher sound when taking off, this will scare birds up from trees or the ground and in the confusion they are sucked into the engines.

It is also worth noting that whilst there have been somewhere under a dozen cases of birdstrikes actually bringing a plane down, as far as I know no one has yet died from a bird strike.

A documentary about Luton airport showed what can happen with a birdstrike and this plane, when it crashed, looked unrecognisable and yet no one was hurt. :dontknow:

Regardless, I doubt its much of an issue. Firstly they wouldn't have the mental processes capable, secondly it would take a significant amount to destory an aircraft and finally, they have to fly either faster then the aircraft or just hope to be in the right place at the right time.
    Wow. I really didn't expect someone to be this knowledgeable about bird attacks on this thread!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    i get what your saying... and i agree n the majority... im not sure it would be "a few deaths" ... i think most of the country folk would be gone you'd be left with your townies... there are god many many times more animals than there are people within 10 miles of my house.... there are farms, small holdings, goose and turkey farm, horses personal and riding school and horse looking after place (whatever they call them where people pay someone else to have their horse...), a llama farm, deer (several varieties), badgers, foxes, all the birds, bugs, you have people who have chickens, pigs and sheep as pets!... and... a safari park :|!

ok if animals turned on people in a we wont search them out kind of way yes we'd be fine, but if they were actively searching out people to kill it would be bye bye lots im sure, and i think country people are top of the list....
    x
    A significant proportion of the human population live in towns so as I said most people wouldn't be killed initially. Why do you keep going on about farmers? Most people live hundreds of miles from any farm.

One of our best forms of attack would be through the use of chemical warfare. This will equal the maximum number of animal deaths in the shortest amount of time. Like I said when we've had to time to regroup we could deploy mass numbers of protective suits and gas masks to every human. After that we'd just gas these large animals (not insects) to death via helicopter lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    A significant proportion of the human population live in towns so as I said most people wouldn't be killed initially. Why do you keep going on about farmers? Most people live hundreds of miles from any farm.

One of our best forms of attack would be through the use of chemical warfare. This will equal the maximum number of animal deaths in the shortest amount of time. Like I said when we've had to time to regroup we could deploy mass numbers of protective suits and gas masks to every human. After that we'd just gas these large animals (not insects) to death via helicopter lol.
    i already said why i keep going on about farms... why do you only read half of my replies :|? i listed what was within 10 miles of my house... very few people lots of animals... i think you underestimate several things... the sheer number of animals in total...the speed and distance they can and will travel (there not all necessarily that far from towns..), and the numbers of animals that are in towns...- pets, pet shops, animal shelters, urban farms, zoos, rats , mice, foxes, birds, working dogs (police/security/seeing)....

the chances of having enough suits for EVERY living human? unlikely, chances of reaching every living human? also unlikely
    chances of a large number of deaths in the time this takes... id say likely ...
    x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What an interesting thread.
    I guess if everything started to attack the human race, then we'd be wiped out after long.
    Think about it. You could lock everyone in a steel room and take supplies with you. You'd run out, and you'd have to get more. And you'd be attacked as soon as you went outside.
    If you went underground, you'd have the same problem, plus all the worms would try to nosh you.
    Either way, we'd all be dead in two days. But grim.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    It would be one of the advantages of living in the UK I suppose. There is virtually nothing here that would be able to kill you except for the odd huge dog.
    When the small are many they are stronger than the strongest.

EVERY animal thats every dog deer, fish, whale cat bird bug lion tiger etc etc etc, everything. - We would have no hope whatsoever, id estimate extinction of the human race would take probably minutes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kog)
    The cockroaches are laughing and saying `come at me bro`

This would make a great video game though, much better than the standard survival zombie games we're getting recently, it'd be great walking around somewhere in a tropical rainforest, or african plain, where `everything` is trying to kill you....
    we can fill it with RAID
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a lot of us seem to agree that insects are the main concern in this scenario and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned.

Bug Zappers
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jstinson)
    a lot of us seem to agree that insects are the main concern in this scenario and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned.

Bug Zappers

I don't think zapping them would work that efficiently if they all wanted to kill you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    or maybe you just need a bigger bug zapper?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.