Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Baptism

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Due to the unusual religious pairing of my parents (Catholic + Protestant), I was never baptised as a child, nor was I even taught about religion, but I made the decision to become a Christian a few years ago. However, the fact that I have never been baptised is obviously a glaring omission in my quest to accept Christ.

My question is fairly simple: how do I get baptised? Is it as simple as walking into a church and requesting the process?

Thank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it really can be that simple. However, most Churches will be happier if you attend at least a few services beforehand. Also, it depends on the denomination. If you're choosing the Catholic Church, I believe there are a few extra procedures? I'm not Catholic, though, so I can't really help but I think you may need a 'sponsor' or someone who vows to help teach you the Catholic ways (if you had been baptized as an infant, these would be your Godparents).

The best thing you can probably do is walk into a Church on a Sunday (or whichever day this denomination or particular Church holds their main service) and talk to the people there, preferably a member of the clergy.

As Christians, they should be welcoming to you. Make sure you ask about how their Church celebrates- if you want a traditional baptism and you end up in a modern alternative Church, you might get a bit of a surprise!

Anyway, good luck and congratulations.

I hope I helped a bit.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    Due to the unusual religious pairing of my parents (Catholic + Protestant), I was never baptised as a child, nor was I even taught about religion, but I made the decision to become a Christian a few years ago. However, the fact that I have never been baptised is obviously a glaring omission in my quest to accept Christ.

My question is fairly simple: how do I get baptised? Is it as simple as walking into a church and requesting the process?

Thank you.
    No it's not.

You accept Christ through faith, and that is excluding any type of works on your part. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

We should always be careful trusting anything apart from the redemptive blood of Christ, as our way to heaven. The implications are eternal. Faith + works = no faith at all. We either rest in Christ's righteousness alone, or we do not.

People in Matthew 7:21-23 found that out the hard way.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Lord you should let us into heaven, because we have done this, done that, we devoted our lives to you, we did so many wonderful things in Your name.

Jesus' answer is simple;

Depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

All their works are as filthy rags in the eyes of the Lord. (Isaiah 64:6)

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind,"

They rested in their own righteousness, instead of getting cleansed in the precious blood of Christ and resting in His righteousness, by faith, and faith alone.

They did not do the will of the Father, which is to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. (John 6:39-40)

Once you accept Christ as Saviour into your life, you are born again, born into the family of God. You are Baptised into Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:1-4)

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

Once you accept Christ as Saviour you start growing in grace, learning how to live a life led by His example, each day striving to be more like Him. All those things stem from a saving faith. They are however not required as prerequisites to getting saved, or accepting Christ.

You accept Him by faith alone. No water baptism is required.

Today, just as you are, you can be 100% sure you're going to heaven!

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

Water baptism is nothing more and nothing less than a public declaration of your faith, a symbolic event representing the fact that you have been born again.

Apart from faith in Christ, there is nothing you can do in order to merit eternal life.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...eration/br.htm

You'll be in my prayers.

God bless.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
    Wonderful! I was young, about 15 when I became a Christian, and I simply waltzed into the church of my choice (lutheran) attended the divine service and then asked the priest that I wanted to be baptised. Most churches wants you to go through a period of learning about the faith before baptism, for me this meant a year of talking to the priest twice a month. It was a really valuable time for me, as then I had guidance as I entered the Church. It's really hard to be a Christian by yourself, so it's very precious to be able to have people more experienced in faith than you to guide you.

Baptism is super-important, Formerly Helpful_C, and God's power is truly present in the waters of baptism. It's not just a pretty ceremony, but the very act of God stretching out his hand, touching your heart and makes you a part of the Kingdom of God forever. I'm sure God and all angels are partying in heaven to celebrate your decision!

Please PM me if you have any questions or just wish to talk about baptism/cathechism and such things.

God bless!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
    Congratulations! I'd go along to your local Catholic Church and explain your situation to the priest. He can then enrol you on the RCIA course (I'd seek out a good parish though, as some can be pretty iffy in what they teach) and you can get started from there. The process can take usually between a year - 18 months where you're taught the fundamentals of the Faith such as the Sacraments, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Church, Faith Hope and Charity, etc.

If you want any other info please feel free to PM me. I decided to become a Catholic, coming from a secular background, and was received into the Church on 1st January. Best day of my life
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ Is Lord)

God bless.
    (Original post by Imayormaynotexist)
    Hi
    (Original post by Lilio Candidior)
    Hi
    [QUOTE=adamrules247;37407279] Hi [Quote]

Thank you very much for your responses, I appreciate the time that you spared. I'm pleased that the responses have been consistent with regards to starting my journey. I have several churches near me, so I don't really have an excuse not to attend.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.