Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

edexcel biology unit 2 and 3b

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are any of you so sure that the past ones don't come?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verdikt)
    How are any of you so sure that the past ones don't come?
    nope. i am not sure. But i think the ones that didnt come are more likely to come..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In jan 2010 there's a question on drawing a flow chart. Does anyone have any idea on how to draw it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danger-.-)
    umm do u have the specimen by any chance ? if yes could you plz send me a link !
    There you go:
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...ative-SAMs.pdf

good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demdil)
    nope. i am not sure. But i think the ones that didnt come are more likely to come..
    Arrgh, it's gonna be a complete bit. Those 2 practicals are kinda hard to comprehend.

Anyone planning to revise mitosis + totipotency here?

Also in a Teachers Spec book, there are 2 methods given for observing mitosis. Do we have to learn both of them? They're fairly similar and frankly I love orcein ethanoic cause its a wicked name :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowBob)
    There you go:
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...ative-SAMs.pdf

good luck
    thank you !!! =) =)

wish you luck too !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smj)
    In jan 2010 there's a question on drawing a flow chart. Does anyone have any idea on how to draw it?
    Just basic drawing of flowchart from the account given. Examiners Report showed this guy who did it in a real shabby way by providing way too many points but achieved full four marks.

I'd write: observation of cure -> trial on small group of people -> trial on 163 patients -> finding out correct dosage and recording findings
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Arrgh, it's gonna be a complete bit. Those 2 practicals are kinda hard to comprehend.

Anyone planning to revise mitosis + totipotency here?

Also in a Teachers Spec book, there are 2 methods given for observing mitosis. Do we have to learn both of them? They're fairly similar and frankly I love orcein ethanoic cause its a wicked name :P
    do you have a link to the teachers spec book? (btw, you dont have to learn both of the methods for observing mitosis, but if you read both and get the idea it's enough)..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demdil)
    do you have a link to the teachers spec book? (btw, you dont have to learn both of the methods for observing mitosis, but if you read both and get the idea it's enough)..
    Sorry mate, I only have the A2 in my computer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot!!! good luck 2 all doin the paper tomorrow
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah the daphnia came up in the specimen paper. i guess we are left with 2 experiments. but to be on the safe side just know all of them lol.
    I made a table, looking at all the experiments that came up from 20010-2012. This is what I got:

June: Q1= beetroot experiment, Q2= genetic testing

Jan: Question 1= Antimicrobial effect, Question 2= Modern drug testing compared to drug testing in william withering's time
    June: Q1= Enzymes (initial rate of reaction), Q2= conservation of species in zoos

Jan: Q1= mineral deficiency, Q2= acidification of oceans
    June: Q1= plant fibres, Q2= leukemia disease (diseases in general)

Jan: Q1= DCPIP (vitamin C concentration), Q2= research on stem cells

The one that hasn't appeared in any year, is the root tip stain experiment, where the stages of mitosis have to be described. I think mitosis is bound to come up in the Unit 3B tomorrow!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritWalnut21568)
    I made a table, looking at all the experiments that came up from 20010-2012. This is what I got:

Jan: Question 1= Antimicrobial effect, Question 2= Modern drug testing compared to drug testing in william withering's time
    June: Q1= Enzymes (initial rate of reaction), Q2= conservation of species in zoos

The one that hasn't appeared in any year, is the root tip stain experiment, where the stages of mitosis have to be described. I think mitosis is bound to come up in the Unit 3B tomorrow!
    if you notice all the first Questions have a graph. with the root tip squash test what graph will you draw?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    who have the answer notes for SNAB ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

You forgot totipotency with explants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you notice all the first Questions have a graph. with the root tip squash test what graph will you draw?
    Actually that's a good question. I seriously don't know. Mitosis could come up on the 2nd question, in an article?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Actually that's a good question. I seriously don't know. Mitosis could come up on the 2nd question, in an article?
    I've been thinking. What if, the 1st question is about totipotency. And then, the article is about mitosis??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking. What if, the 1st question is about totipotency. And then, the article is about mitosis??
    OMG HAHAHA this is just crazy! loool. edexcel is mind F-ing us right now. lool.
    memorize totipotency and mitosis> goto the exam> open first page *inception drums*> mouth drops open. lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mitotic index is the only calculation afaik.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate, I only have the A2 in my computer.
    no problem
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    my opinion; totiopotency may come tomorrow. if it's mtosis they may give pictures and ask which stage the cells are at.. Still we sould do more of "mitosis and totiopotency" than the other experiments. Each year one of the 9 AS experiments came . So now only 2 experiments are left.. we should know the two really well..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.