Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

edexcel biology unit 2 and 3b

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    hahah ow god i am sooo scared! ahhhh! lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowBob)
    hahah ow god i am sooo scared! ahhhh! lol.
    i am really scared, i only solved may 2009 !!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demdil)
    i am really scared, i only solved may 2009 !!!
    I've solved all the pastpapers, and IM STILL SCARED!! lol.i finished them 3 weeks ago. and i cant recall anything .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowBob)
    I've solved all the pastpapers, and IM STILL SCARED!! lol.i finished them 3 weeks ago. and i cant recall anything .
    once they give you questions tomorrow, you will start to remember everything i always feel like i dont remember anything before the exam, but during the exam it all comes back to me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here are some external resources I found for mitosis + totipotency. Enjoy:
    http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/pr...oot-tip-squash

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...4BTnCr2wTuJ0Kw
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verdikt)

hey thanks buddy!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

thank youu .. btw, i hope they ask about totiopotency and observing mitosis tomorrow!!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thank youu .. btw, i hope they ask about totiopotency and observing mitosis tomorrow!!!!
    yeah pal seriously........... i also wish. do u think they will repeat any of the experiments that have previously come?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahlakh)
    yeah pal seriously........... i also wish. do u think they will repeat any of the experiments that have previously come?
    they might ask from the experiments that came before, but they will have to change a lot and i dont know how they can change the beetroot experiment for instance. and if they dont change, and ask (eg beetroot) then the exam would be like the one in 2009 :O so either way is good they will either ask from what we solved through the past papers or they will ask totiopotency and observing mitosis. İ believe they will ask something they didnt ask before. or could be daphnia because it was in sample assesment, so doesnt really count as "came in the exam before".. dont know .. hope we all do well
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    they might ask from the experiments that came before, but they will have to change a lot and i dont know how they can change the beetroot experiment for instance. and if they dont change, and ask (eg beetroot) then the exam would be like the one in 2009 :O so either way is good they will either ask from what we solved through the past papers or they will ask totiopotency and observing mitosis. İ believe they will ask something they didnt ask before. or could be daphnia because it was in sample assesment, so doesnt really count as "came in the exam before".. dont know .. hope we all do well
    yeah and as one guy stated here that what will the students of june 2013 do if all the experiments would have come up???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahlakh)
    yeah and as one guy stated here that what will the students of june 2013 do if all the experiments would have come up???
    they will change the sylabus :P joking.. i dont know. i only hope that they ask totiopotency and observing mitosis..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    they will change the sylabus :P joking.. i dont know. i only hope that they ask totiopotency and observing mitosis..
    One of my teachers said they just might and she was dead on sure that either of the two will come. But trust no one! I don't want some flame war going on if it does really come now :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys: Why is Hydrochloric acid added to the root tip when observing mitosis?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrperfect)
    Hey guys: Why is Hydrochloric acid added to the root tip when observing mitosis?
    as far as i know, it is to break the middle lamella and separate cells from each other so that they are in single layer and not on the top of each other..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To soften the tissues
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to those who answered. How can I make the root tip experiment safer and more accurate?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to those who answered. How can I make the root tip experiment safer and more accurate?
    safer by wearing eye goggle when handling the acid and stain
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goggles, gloves are the main keypoints. Also take care when cutting.

I heard something about not adding excess stain to it. Is this a safety measure and if so, can anyone explain why?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use gloves when dealing with HCL or orcein
    If your using orcein as your stain, make sure to avoid skin contact cuz its corrosive and highly flammable. Wear eye protection(safety goggles)
    and to improve accuracy, first thing that comes to mind is repeat the experiment a few times using the same vol of HCL,stain etc, same length of root, eg:5mm
    u cud even repeat it using a different root tip like broad bean.

all the best man, even im pretty nervous, im just memorising all the experiments from the CGP book and doing the past papers from june 09 to jan 12, hope it all works out. Also I asked my teacher what might come in ques 2, u know that article thing, he told me to learn the lifestyle and risk factors(heart disease and stuff) and clinical trial, Obviously im not depending on that, but he's been right before so who knows :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goggles, gloves are the main keypoints. Also take care when cutting.

I heard something about not adding excess stain to it. Is this a safety measure and if so, can anyone explain why?
    adding excess stain comes under precaution. Normally you add stain to darken the chromosomes in the root so mitosis can be observed more clearly, so adding too much stain might make the chromosomes even darker which wud make it difficult to observe mitosis...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.