The Student Room Group

edexcel biology unit 2 and 3b

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Babyblue
i really dont know what to expect, i didint do well in any pastpapers either :/

lets just hope unit 2 will be fine :biggrin:

awww no problem. hope u do really well in ur other papers:smile:
Original post by DevilSmite
hmm its a longshot but you might get marks, but a more appropriate answer would be cuz it has a transparent body and their nervous systems are small so they cant be subjected to much pain,

Pretty sure that there nervous system isn't a practical reason, but more of an ethical reason. A practical reason I put is that even a small amount of lactic acid would provide variables in the heart rate, so like for example if you were testing a daphina over a mouse or something, a little amount of lactic acid concentrtion would provide a large change in heartrate.

anyway, it's best to move on; just think 1 less exam to do, 1 less exam to worry about and concentrate on your others.!!

But generally you'll have done better than you've expected.
Original post by Babyblue
your answers are compleetly different from mine.
i wrote we should keep age and size of daphnia constant, obtain dapnia from same habbitat.
significant in data more or less the same thing.
but the last one. i REMMBER that medical treatment had more side effects but its cheaper.
and for biblo, i wrote that student forgot to mention some 'cancer reserch foundation' which she quoted. and stuff.

and thanks :smile:

I wrote this also.
Oh goody we can discuss this?

OK so what did you guys do at the standard deviation part, on the graph?
Original post by MickieJames
Oh goody we can discuss this?

OK so what did you guys do at the standard deviation part, on the graph?

haha lol the y-axis scale was absolutely retarded! lol. i went up by 22! im sure thats wrong. for the error bars i basically drew the standard deviation above and below the point.
I wrote:

For the first daphnia one, about practicality I put: Transparent, and small creature so not large concentrations of lactic acid will be needed to induce much of a change in heart rate or something like that.

For variable I put same species of daphnia and same size daphnia, can be controlled by hatching them all at the same time and from the same egg packet.

For S.D I just put the sd difference + and - the mean value
I put the y axes going up in 30 for each 10 squares.

For bibliography I just rewrote it in a more suitable format without the narrative & in the second question where it asked how to make amendments apart from the references, I justp ut tat the date was missing on one of the articles and they didn't give a full name of the author.

I drew two pie charts, so therefore the values can be compared by percentage values instead of each person picking which category, because there were differents amount of people using acupunture or drugs.

For validity I put it was valid because there were two sources which more or less proved the same thing so there was coherent validity and that the tables more or less addressed the question of is acupunture much of a cure.

And that's all I remember, not sure if I remember it all the 2nd part was a bit of a rush for me; so I'm obviously not sure how I've done.
Question 2a bothered me so much, I thought the problem was the way the student presented the article. Then I realized the answer was the problem the student was describing (chronic pain)
Original post by MarshmallowBob
haha lol the y-axis scale was absolutely retarded! lol. i went up by 22! im sure thats wrong. for the error bars i basically drew the standard deviation above and below the point.

I messed up on that too.
Reply 148
hmm..this was definitely harder then previous papers..i guess il get between 20 - 25..boundary for an A should be close to 26 like jan which ws much easier
Reply 149
wt do you guys think youll get? grade boundary??
Reply 150
What ever the grade boundaries are the ex am was really hard
for question on drawing the graph for the daphnia what did u guys do? Did you guys get a curve or a straigh line .. I drew a curve and I am sure its wrong :frown:
Reply 151
curve downwards
Reply 152
REWRITE bibliography = FAIL QUESTION
Reply 153
Original post by filterx
REWRITE bibliography = FAIL QUESTION

Omg I completly bull****ted on that question.. I dint even knoe how to right one
well i think question 1 was easier than question 2. I dont know abt the grade boundaries. I hope its 26 or less than that which i think is not possible. what did u guys do for the rewrite of bibiliography...
Original post by avipsita
Omg I completly bull****ted on that question.. I dint even knoe how to right one

seriously dude. Same here........i was a lot confused. I did answer it but not in a good way i guess. how many marks was it?
Reply 156
What scale did you guys take for the graph?

Any ideas about the next practical paper i.e unit 6?
Reply 157
Original post by khz

for the y-axis i did 100, 200, 300, in a way that three of large boxes(30 small boxes) made 100; so it all fit. But that took me a long time, also i tried so hard to plot the error bars which also made me lose time :/ anyway, we should look at the other exams now, unit 2, 6 (and i have also 4,5, i dont know if you're taking them)..
For paper 6, I think we shoul create a thread so that everyone shares what they've got.. I dont know how to create a thread.. (unit6 is very hard :/ )
Reply 158
Original post by khz

i created a thread for biology unit 6;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1994223&p=37453860#post37453860
Can Humidity be
Considered
As a Control Variable for Daphnia?

I had some correct answers but I erased them.

An ethical issue is that Daphnia is still a living organism and has the right to live.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending