The Student Room Group

HL Math Paper 2- 24 Hours Later...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hyaline
integral of 1/1+x^4 anyone............ I got some long thing with ln and arctan in it, most likely wrong........

This was another annoying thing. Substitution wouldn't work. I tried by parts and let dv/dx = 1 and u = 1/1+x^4. It was a long process....
Reply 21
I substituted x= root(tan(u))........... it went horribly wrong xD. What did you do for the arrangements of girls and boys where there were 15 girls and 10 boys? Can you confirm 67.5cm for the string around the circles?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Hyaline
I substituted x= root(tan(u))........... it went horribly wrong xD. What did you do for the arrangements of girls and boys where there were 15 girls and 10 boys?

I think a got the combinations of boys and the combinations of girls using nCr and then added together.... but my answer was really ridiculously high, which i wasnt confident about
Reply 23
Hey guys, what do you think the grade boundaries for this year will be? by the looks of it i think it will be similar to last years, personally i felt the difficulty was similar to may 2011 tz2
Reply 24
For part a) I did 15!*10!*2! for part b) I wasn't too sure I did something like 15C2*10C3
Reply 25
Original post by johndoe04
The equation was something like, v^2 +dv/dt - 1 = 0. How did you go from there?

Ok, I attached an explanation for how to get the expression for v. Typo in my first answer- not arctan, just tan!

For the ball bouncing, it was the sum of the geometric sequence to infinity, times 2, plus the four meters it travels down before the first bounce- i.e. 156 meters in total.

For the integral of 1/(1+x^4), that was some bull**** to the max for 3 marks. I just used my calculators area function to trial and error my way to the a value- which I got to be 1.40, haha :P
photo.JPG
Reply 26
Original post by Hyaline
For part a) I did 15!*10!*2! for part b) I wasn't too sure I did something like 15C2*10C3

ok then i got that wrong :frown: i knda guessed....
that was like 6marks or 5marks rite? ****...

what do you think about the difficulty compared to last year's paper?
Reply 27
This was another annoying thing. Substitution wouldn't work. I tried by parts and let dv/dx = 1 and u = 1/1+x^4. It was a long process....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080721154424AAYOrmH
Reply 28
I put 160 -.- forgot about the 4 at the start, my marks are slowly dropping in my head.
Reply 29
For the Poisson distribution question what did you guys get as m, I got 7 point something.
Reply 31
Not 15C2*10C3 sorry, I put 15C2*10C3*25C5.

67.5 for the string length ^^, I need confirmation :biggrin:.

Wow............ ****ing, IB wtf.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Hyaline
Not 15C2*10C3 sorry, I put 15C2*10C3*25C5.

67.5 for the string length ^^, I need confirmation :biggrin:.

Wow............ ****ing, IB wtf.

YES i got 67.5 for string length too! was scared because most my friends forgot their answer...

hopefully i can get a 7, i estimate myself to get 90 plus or minus 5 marks for both papers
Reply 33
Original post by Hyaline
I asked one of the maths teacher in my school after and she couldn't do it....................

and my teacher said might be a mistake in the paper :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by hin1994
YES i got 67.5 for string length too! was scared because most my friends forgot their answer...

hopefully i can get a 7, i estimate myself to get 90 plus or minus 5 marks for both papers

**** !!! i got 71.23 for string length
damn im gonna so many marks.... i was hoping for a 6, hopefully i can still get the method marks
Reply 35
Original post by 526540828
and my teacher said might be a mistake in the paper :biggrin:

Apparently, you can integrate it. Well, according to Wolfram Alpha.
Reply 36
Apparently, you can integrate it. Well, according to Wolfram Alpha.

The person who wrote that question should be shot........... wtf, just wtf.
Reply 37
Original post by hkl1994215
**** !!! i got 71.23 for string length
damn im gonna so many marks.... i was hoping for a 6, hopefully i can still get the method marks

how did you do the string calculation? i did it in a very unorthodox way..

i made theta the angle between the two lines at the centre, and got something like cos(theta)tan(theta)-(3/13)=0 then plotted it on my GDC. then i worked out the equation for total length of string and i substituted theta into that equation, giving 67.5m

edit: found out i was an idiot cause cos * tan = sin.. could have just used sin instead. luckily no marks lost for doing that
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by hin1994
how did you do the string calculation? i did it in a very unorthodox way..

i made theta the angle between the two lines at the centre, and got something like cos(theta)tan(theta)-(3/13)=0 then plotted it on my GDC. then i worked out the equation for total length of string and i substituted theta into that equation, giving 67.5m

edit: found out i was an idiot cause cos * tan = sin.. could have just used sin instead. luckily no marks lost for doing that

ok, then i got it wrong :frown:
i split the quadrilateral into two triangles and then used Pythagoras theorem etc.....
Reply 39
Interesting method ^^, I used Pythagoras to get 4root10, and I used sin to get the angle 0.232 or something and the other one. Then I did 2pi-(2pi/2+2(0.232) to get one outer angle, same for the other side with the other angle. Then I found the 2 arc lengths. Then i just added it all up. Initially I drew an extra line to get a right angle triangle with hyp 13cm and one side of 3cm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending