Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking to buy a netbook for use as a student

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I have my trusty desktop, I'm only going to be using my netbook for the typical casual internet browsing and Microsoft Office stuff and all that. No gaming. It's mostly going to be used as my word processor and all related stuff. I'm looking for the best I can get at the lowest price - my price budget is £200 and under. So yeah, I want something that can serve me just the function I need it for and no more, hence the low budget.

But I've never bought anything other than a desktop so I don't know what kind to get. Any advice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't buy a netbook. They are crap and their market share has plummeted because people have realised that.
    Either get an iPad (only like 300 pounds or so) or a legitimate 13 inch laptop.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimmiesArentRustle)
    Whatever you do, don't buy a netbook. They are crap and their market share has plummeted because people have realised that.
    Either get an iPad (only like 300 pounds or so) or a legitimate 13 inch laptop.
    What would be the difference between a small laptop and a netbook?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Small laptops will be slightly larger and much more powerful.

It really depends though, I have a 10" netbook I use solely for working in the library and it works fine, can handle pdfs, open office, browsing, watching movies and even older games and also has an 8 hour battery life, so...whilst it would have been nice to afford a 13" laptop I don't have anywhere near that money to spare now and managed to get mine for around £200 and then upgraded the ram to 2gigs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadian)
    Netbooks are very slow, even for word processing and web browsing, they are clunky, very ugly, heavy for their small size, very difficult to use due to tiny keyboard and trackpad, difficult to see due to tiny screen, screen quality is usually terrible.
    Basically everything about the netbook is just garbage.
    A small laptop will be bigger than a netbook and more expensive but with few or none of the problems I've listed.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    They don't have to compromise on processor size, the Atom CPUs and their AMD equivalents are typically underpowered. However in your price range a netbook would probably be your best bet, contrary to what that guy said- 13" laptops are typically more expensive than 15" ones for the same specs and you'll end up with a low end processor anyway. This Asus is a good shout, it has a newest gen Atom processor for under £200 which is a pretty good deal. Couple it with a 2GB RAM stick from www.crucial.com (Should run you back about £15 at most) and you'll get as good an experience from a netbook as you can for under £250. Just don't expect anything incredible [=
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I have my trusty desktop, I'm only going to be using my netbook for the typical casual internet browsing and Microsoft Office stuff and all that. No gaming. It's mostly going to be used as my word processor and all related stuff. I'm looking for the best I can get at the lowest price - my price budget is £200 and under. So yeah, I want something that can serve me just the function I need it for and no more, hence the low budget.

But I've never bought anything other than a desktop so I don't know what kind to get. Any advice?
    I have a netbook for word proccessing, internet searching, msn, skype and stuff and it works absoloutly fine with a really long battery life I love it I have an asus eeepc thing, and it's over 2 years old now and still running alright. Was just under £200
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why people hate on Netbooks, they're great for a secondary mobile PC which is what OP wants. IMO if you want mobility, you either get a laptop, or Desktop + PC. As long as it's just your secondary computer you should be fine, Atom processors are fine for office + web.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Word processing with such a netbook-sized screen would be difficult. Most £150 netbooks would handle those tasks without lag.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    have you looked at refurbished, ie second hand, laptops, you can get pretty good deals on then

http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk is a pretty good one from what i can see
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the HP dm1?

I'm typing on one now :ahee: It hasn't disappointed me even once since I bought it, apart from when I was using iPlayer once and the sound went out of sync, but I blame the program not the laptop
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Have you considered the HP dm1?

I'm typing on one now :ahee: It hasn't disappointed me even once since I bought it, apart from when I was using iPlayer once and the sound went out of sync, but I blame the program not the laptop
    That does look pretty good! Haha, thanks for the recommendation!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.