Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who do you think will be the next Prime Minister?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Who do you think will be the next Prime Minister of the UK?
    Boris Johnson (Tory)
    27.93%
    George Osborne (Tory)
    2.70%
    Michael Gove (Tory)
    1.80%
    Daniel Hannan (Tory)
    2.70%
    Other (Tory)
    6.31%
    Ed Miliband (Labour)
    35.14%
    Yvette Cooper (Labour)
    4.50%
    Chuka Umunna (Labour)
    3.60%
    David Miliband (Labour)
    12.61%
    Other (Labour)
    2.70%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Following Boris Johnson's victory in the mayor election, there has been much speculation that he could be the next Tory leader and Prime Minister. As much as I'd like him to be PM, I don't think it's that likely - unfortunately someone crap like Osborne will probably be the next Tory leader imo. There's a strong possibility that Ed Miliband could win in 2015 and become the next Prime Minister. But maybe another Labour leader could be in charge before the next election, and they become PM?

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Keep in mind that Cameron has said that if he wins in 2015 and gets a second term, he won't fight the election after that, so another Tory would succeed him as leader and PM.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would love to see Dan Hannan, but realistically he'd need to move from the EU parliament to the HOC before he got taken seriously. Boris would be a good PM, he's actually done a great job in London and I like his views on things like the EU.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean who will be prime minister after the next election, or who will be the next after Cameron?

I think Cameron could win the next election, but a lot can happen in 3 years. It's hard to predict the next election, never mind past that (I don't want him to win, but I think it's still likely.) Hague might give it another crack

Maybe one to watch for labour is Chucku Umuna (not sure if I spelled that right), he seems to have big ambitions. It would be so funny if Boris was PM
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's almost certainly going to be Ed Miliband.

It just makes too much sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    BORIS!!!!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Boris would be funny, but it'd be very hard for anyone internationally to take him seriously. Kinda like a Berlusconi figure [but with buffoonery, not various sexy time scandals].

As long as it's not Ed Miliband, I don't really mind. I don't trust that guy to lead a tour of the Commons, let alone a country.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as the public are fickle they will no doubt end up electing Millipede as PM.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really hope David Miliband makes a return, I'll never understand why Ed got elected in the first place.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    I really hope David Miliband makes a return, I'll never understand why Ed got elected in the first place.
    I'll tell you why.

The Unions.

That is all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hate his guts, but I've got a bad feeling that it might wind up being Ed Miliband.

Boris Johnson won't become PM because he is fundamentally not a conservative. It is not possible for such a leader to take up the mantle after Cameron and then go on to win an election when Cameron has already alienated the traditional voting base for his party.

[See Johnson's views on Turkey in the European Union - that in itself will destroy his chances of capturing core vote]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Hate his guts, but I've got a bad feeling that it might wind up being Ed Miliband.

Boris Johnson won't become PM because he is fundamentally not a conservative. It is not possible for such a leader to take up the mantle after Cameron and then go on to win an election when Cameron has already alienated the traditional voting base for his party.

[See Johnson's views on Turkey in the European Union - that in itself will destroy his chances of capturing core vote]
    What are his views? He is, I believe, of Turkish ancestry, so I would be interested to know what he thinks of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ron Paul
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Do you mean who will be prime minister after the next election, or who will be the next after Cameron?
    I meant who will be the next PM after Cameron, not who will win next election.

My prediction is:
    - Ed Miliband will win Labour majority in 2015, Osborne will (unfortunately) take over as Tory leader.
    - Ed Miliband will end up being replaced as Labour leader/PM by either Yvette Cooper or Chuka Umunna.
    - Cooper or Umunna will get a Labour majority re-elected in 2020 (or in 2019 if fixed term parliaments are abolished). Osborne will resign as Tory leader, and a more Eurosceptic right-wing Tory (e.g. Boris Johnson, Daniel Hannan) will take over as leader.
    - In the following election (2025 at latest), the right-wing Tory (Johnson or Hannan) will win a Tory majority, lead Britain out of the EU, and we all live happily ever after.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it is a Tory, God help us all if it is Michael Gove.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please God anyone but Michael Gove
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ed Miliband is a wet tissue, so he's going to be the next PM. Plus since everyone hates politics at the moment, it's just going to seesaw, and it's Labour's turn to be moaned at.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tories lose -> Ed Miliband
    Tories win -> [Cameron] -> Gyimah (Con) or Creasy (Lab)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    I meant who will be the next PM after Cameron, not who will win next election.

My prediction is:
    - Ed Miliband will win Labour majority in 2015, Osborne will (unfortunately) take over as Tory leader.
    - Ed Miliband will end up being replaced as Labour leader/PM by either Yvette Cooper or Chuka Umunna.
    - Cooper or Umunna will get a Labour majority re-elected in 2020 (or in 2019 if fixed term parliaments are abolished). Osborne will resign as Tory leader, and a more Eurosceptic right-wing Tory (e.g. Boris Johnson, Daniel Hannan) will take over as leader.
    - In the following election (2025 at latest), the right-wing Tory (Johnson or Hannan) will win a Tory majority, lead Britain out of the EU, and we all live happily ever after.
    A Labour majority? Really?

I wouldn't be surprised if Labour win the next election, but that would be because people have turned sour towards the Tories, and not because they think Labour would be any better. People still remember Blair's and Brown's failings in the last ten years, just like they remembered Thatcher's and Major's failings at the last General Election. If the Conservatives somehow manage to perform a miracle, such as restoring the economy to its old growth within the next three years, then they'll win another majority, but otherwise I think we're facing another hung parliament with a Labour-dominated government.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Seeing as the public are fickle they will no doubt end up electing Millipede as PM.

I'm inclined to agree with this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Boris becomes PM, then God help the planet.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.