Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who do you think will be the next Prime Minister?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Who do you think will be the next Prime Minister of the UK?
    Boris Johnson (Tory)
    27.93%
    George Osborne (Tory)
    2.70%
    Michael Gove (Tory)
    1.80%
    Daniel Hannan (Tory)
    2.70%
    Other (Tory)
    6.31%
    Ed Miliband (Labour)
    35.14%
    Yvette Cooper (Labour)
    4.50%
    Chuka Umunna (Labour)
    3.60%
    David Miliband (Labour)
    12.61%
    Other (Labour)
    2.70%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ed/David Miliband

(Original post by RyanT)
    Supports Turkish EU membership.
    Most tories do right?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Miliband.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    What's people's problem with Ed Miliband?
    Probably the fact that he is not David....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    Most tories do right?
    No, most tory MPs do though. But that's something very different and gets to the core of my point.

Boris is not a heartland tory and it will be difficult for him to succeed Cameron and be successful because he represents more cameronism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please not Ed Miliband. Definitely not Ed Balls or Yvette Cooper either. David Miliband, despite the fact that I tend to learn more towards Tories than Labour (currently, since I'm not a bloody-minded person who decides they're "TORY4LIFE") would be so much better.

People seem to have really long memories about the Tories and really short ones about Labour, so I'm thinking that despite what happens in the next three years, Labour might get a majority (but then again, it's no use telling people that the mess we're in now was caused by Labour, it's the fact that under the Labour government, even it brought painful recovery, life was good then). But, if people are happy, the economy's growing, jobs are being created, then it might be okay for the Tories.

I don't think it will be Cameron or Osbourne who are party leaders though. I think the Tory party will actually take the decision to find someone new, and if they're smart, this new leader won't have gone to Eton.

Long story short, I can't tell the future.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cesca42)
    x
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with Ed Balls leading Labour.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for the unions, (and fortunately for vaguely intelligent, forward-thinking people) they handed the Tories a huge advantage by electing Ed. As a Tory, I pretty much dislike most Labour leaders, but David Miliband is:

a) much harder to dislike than former leaders.

b) much harder to dislike than his brother.

Although the thought of a Labour government will always send shivers down the spine no matter who the leader, partly due to their economic and social incompetence, partly due to the odious Ed Balls, the thought of Ed leading our country is downright terrifying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dont_vote_labour.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	145940
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    No, most tory MPs do though. But that's something very different and gets to the core of my point.

Boris is not a heartland tory and it will be difficult for him to succeed Cameron and be successful because he represents more cameronism.
    I take you believe Cameron is a slightly more machismo edition of Blair and that UKIP is the Conservative party proper
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    What you are actually saying is almost similar to saying that the Tories govern because of their South East votes. Since if you were to discount those votes and seats labour would have won!!! Of course the argument is bonkers.

A politician needs to know its electorate and plan accordingly how to win an election. David thought that having just a majority of MPs and new labour supporters sufficed to win but his brother understood how to rekindle the dissaffected traditional labour members and unions and ensured he got his minimum required MP votes, so he won. Simpus
    Ed became leader because he had the support of the unions, not the support of the people.

If it were up to just the people, do you really think they would have elected Wallace over David?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Hate his guts, but I've got a bad feeling that it might wind up being Ed Miliband.

Boris Johnson won't become PM because he is fundamentally not a conservative. It is not possible for such a leader to take up the mantle after Cameron and then go on to win an election when Cameron has already alienated the traditional voting base for his party.

[See Johnson's views on Turkey in the European Union - that in itself will destroy his chances of capturing core vote]
    Well, seeing as he openly called for a referrendum on our membership, and I believe he is not keen on the freedom of movement bit, his views on Turkish accession make little difference (though Cameron/Osbourne have actually been quite pro-turkey anyway).

His policies lean, as far as I can tell, towards a more libertarian free-market free people stance, which will be somewhat unpopular amongst the deeply religious and elderly, but I think he is a better candidate than any of the others likely to be in competition.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    What you are actually saying is almost similar to saying that the Tories govern because of their South East votes. Since if you were to discount those votes and seats labour would have won!!! Of course the argument is bonkers.

A politician needs to know its electorate and plan accordingly how to win an election. David thought that having just a majority of MPs and new labour supporters sufficed to win but his brother understood how to rekindle the dissaffected traditional labour members and unions and ensured he got his minimum required MP votes, so he won. Simpus
    Not really. If the ballots in the southeast were sent out in VOTE TORY envelopes, then the situation would be similar. If voters in a general election could vote up to 5 times, depending on their ethnicity, income and job then it would be similar.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Boris is a buffoon, but he's also a highly intelligent graduate from Oxford; his public persona is largely an act (a funny act, don't get me wrong) and he is more than capable of dealing with high-pressure situations in a competent way. Potentially, I would vote Tory if Boris is their candidate in 2015.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Hannan? What?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Cameron will be forced to resign, as the electorate and the conservative party now know that Cameron does not hold Conservative values. Personally, I believe Cameron was more pleased to have gone into coalition with the lib dems rather than having a conservative majority government as he would not have wanted to have implemented more right wing conservative policies.

As I believe Cameron will resign fairly shortly, Michael Gove will therefore become the next Conservative leader and prime minister. Gove is a traditional conservative who has support from all sectors of society and as a Conservative party member I would certainly vote for him in the next Conservative leadership election.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Mililipede would just be terrible. I can't imagine the shame of such a thing. :no:

Boris Johnson would be great for Britain's profile.

<3 x
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nick Clegg

Just kidding

Hmmmmm.......... I think it would be George Osborne though he would most likely become PM similar to how that ******* Gordon Brown became PM.

Boris Johnson... he is more of a South/South East type candidate and doesn't command much support for Tory leadership so I doubt he would get enough support to be leader of the Tory party, either way for every Tory you hear of that loves him there are plenty who hates him too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rory Stewart will be Tory party leader before Boris Johnson, surely.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    My prediction: Cameron will win the next election with a slim majority. That's not really optimism, just a recognition that whoever wins will probably have to do it through a majority - the Lib Dem vote just won't recover sufficiently. Still, Cameron isn't exactly universally popular.

Labour will replace Miliband almost immediately, if he even makes it that far. This is a turning point for them to choose someone capable. I think it's entirely possible that they can and then defeat Cameron in 2020. I suppose, however, it is possible DC will hand over to another Tory, especially given the length of the terms, but I don't really see it coming.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I had my way it would be Nigel Farage, that guy is pure gold!

Plus I agree with 90% of UKIP's current policies.

But I suppose if not, then Cameron will have to do. As long as millipede doesn't get it, I will be happy. I would be happy if any party other than Labour got it tbh...
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage would be great I think, someone who has experienced the 'real' world and ran his own business, which is vital practice for running the biggest business in the country - the UK.

People like Cameron have gone straight from education into jobs in research departments for their respective party, something I think which can't be as beneficial as the experience of running/working in a big business.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.