Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should the UK Border Agency be privatised?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason that it is so awful at the moment is because it is paid for by taxpayers, and so there is no incentive for it to improve because staff know they can be as **** as they want and they'll always be bailed out by the hard-working public (this applies to whole of the public sector though, and is part of the reason I dislike the public sector so much). The UKBA has a backlog of thousands of cases, appalling waiting times at UK airports, and a growing mountain of complaints about the way it handles it cases (97% of which were upheld in 2009-10 by the Parliamentary Ombudsman). If it were privatised and driven by results and success, would we see an increase in the service provided by the UKBA? Would we see a reduction in the number of illegal immigrants if the UKBA were financially penalised for not deporting enough illegal immigrants in a timely enough manner?

I believe that nationalisation is a failed experiment, and the UKBA is an example of this, and should therefore be given to the market in order to increase its efficiency.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Further proof that the department is currently not fit for purporse --->>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17668569
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather leave the security of the realm to the state, not to private companies. There's a fine line between what should exist primarily in the free-market and what should exclusively reside within the confines of the state. I'd rather not leave the inspection of passengers to Wall-mart and then a few weeks later have a terrorist wander through.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travoot)
    I'd rather leave the security of the realm to the state, not to private companies. There's a fine line between what should exist primarily in the free-market and what should exclusively reside within the confines of the state. I'd rather not leave the inspection of passengers to Wall-mart and then a few weeks later have a terrorist wander through.
    The UKBA couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery, let alone protect the security of the realm. McDonald's would do a better job than our border agency.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Give them guns and dogs and we'll consider it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Let's privatise the UK!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quattro94)
    Give them guns and dogs and we'll consider it
    Meh

Knowing the 'justice system' of the UK, someone who shoots a terrorist would probably be thrown into prison :facepalm:

And then they'll get let out in 2 years because of 'good behaviour'.

Stronger :facepalm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Meh

Knowing the 'justice system' of the UK, someone who shoots a terrorist would probably be thrown into prison :facepalm:

And then they'll get let out in 2 years because of 'good behaviour'.

Stronger :facepalm:
    hows about we give the dogs the guns? they can't be held accountable for their actions
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you privatise this? Who pays them to work? Who do they compete with?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not only is this a market failure (allocative inefficiency) but it's a fail in general.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Otkem)
    I believe that nationalisation is a failed experiment, and the UKBA is an example of this, and should therefore be given to the market in order to increase its efficiency.
    They'd be no competition for them, and they'd do everything in the name of profit, not security. No way.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never. This would increase the problem of bribery and allow even more corners to be cut. :facepalm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    NO, security is a country matter and should be dealt with by the state.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about privatisation, but it needs to be completly reformed.
    Maybe that would be a better reform than the HofL?
    A more productive one, at least.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    How do you privatise this? Who pays them to work? Who do they compete with?
    The way I'd work it is to keep a central office, run by the state, but offer ground level contracts to the various private security firms, on the scale of a per dock or per airport operation.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm wouldn't mind honestly myself, would save some of the taxpayers money, it probably would improve the way the border is run. I mean they would defiantly have to ad hear to rules from then government and would defiantly need to be checked to make sure that they weren't doing anything illegal but it could work, who knows.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.