Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fed up with being overweight- Help?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I just wanted see if any of you could give me some tips advice on losing weight. Im 5'3 and weigh 12 stone 7 terrible i know Probably down to rarely exercising and binging on junk food like chocolate and crisps. But i want that all to change, just dont know where to start. Im going to try cut out the junk food and go swimming twice a week. could anyone help with a diet or good things eat throughout the day. Im fed up and so upset ive let myself get this bad
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you pretty much answered your own question here. Cut out the crap like crisps and chocolate and start to exercise on a regular basis.

You'd do best if you just stopped snacking in general. You just need three decent/healthy meals during the day. To stop yourself snacking, make sure you have a filling breakfast like porridge.

All in all it's pretty simple really, I would say it's mainly about a change in attitude. I've not been in your situation though so don't take what I say as gospel.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've answered your own question. Less crap, more exercise. It's that simple! People get daunted by losing weight because they over complicate things.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replys! Does anyone know a good healthy breakfast as i dont like porridge or fruit nut bran based cereals thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littlemisspiglet)
    Hi everyone

I just wanted see if any of you could give me some tips advice on losing weight. Im 5'3 and weigh 12 stone 7 terrible i know Probably down to rarely exercising and binging on junk food like chocolate and crisps. But i want that all to change, just dont know where to start. Im going to try cut out the junk food and go swimming twice a week. could anyone help with a diet or good things eat throughout the day. Im fed up and so upset ive let myself get this bad
    im pretty much in the exact same situation as you!!! same height, simular weight! Ive tried going to the gym and loosing weight but just putting it on and looking no different! If you fancy messaging me we could help eachother and do it together lol(corny i kno) x x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replys! Does anyone know a good healthy breakfast as i dont like porridge or fruit nut bran based cereals thanks
    Learn to like them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eat less.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dont think i could ever learn to love porridge, tried adding flavourings and fruit but still dont like it. Guess could learn to like the cereals
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dont think i could ever learn to love porridge, tried adding flavourings and fruit but still dont like it. Guess could learn to like the cereals
    Try adding peanut butter...
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do more exercise, eat less crap.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make your own muesli: oats, dried fruit and some mixed chopped nuts. Have it with some yoghurt, like blueberry or gooseberry.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Try adding peanut butter...
    Will give that a try, never thought of having that with porridge
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So eat less move more, sounds easy just got keep motivation up!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start counting your calories. It's a pain to begin with but you'll quickly learn a lot about how many calories you're consuming and where you can cut down massively. For example a glass of orange juice is around 100 calories, and an average size bowl of your typical sugary breakfast cereal with milk might be 400 calories plus. Whereas two pieces of wholemeal toast with a little butter or spread and a glass of water is about 250. Once you are aware of where your calories are coming from, it's easy to make healthier decisions.

Also, try to move more in general. If you can't motivate yourself to go running or swimming then you can do things like take the stairs instead of the lift, walk up escalators, walk to work/college/uni or get off the bus or train a stop earlier.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm also trying to lose weight.

try to exercise every single day for at least 45 minutes. if you can't, it's ok. anything is better than nothing.

first rule:
    eat breakfast EVERY DAY.
    since you don't like porridge, then eat rye bread (no wheat and you can find it at tesco) with jam or even nutella if you put just a little bit to give you a nice morning boost and motivation to eat breakfast (works for me). eat 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, yoghurt and milk.

second rule:
    drink LOADS of water. I'm trying to drink 1,5 L every day. keep in mind that sometimes your organism confuses thirst with hunger so you might think you're hungry but you're only thirsty. if you drink water and you're still hungry, then you're most probably hungry though. then eat something.

third rule:
    don't skip meals. eat three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and eat yoghurt, fruit or nuts every 3 hours, since it fastens your metabolism and prevents you from gaining weight due to an organism self-defence strategy.

fourth rule:
    reserve one day of the week to have a little treat. i'm not saying that you should spend the whole day eating whatever you feel like, but for example, have a small bar of chocolate or some crisps on sundays for example, or whenever you're going out.

fifth rule:
    walk when possible, instead of driving or taking the bus

sixth rule:
    drink green tea!

i hope this helps
    wish you all the best x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will give that a try, never thought of having that with porridge
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaayziing)
    Learn to like them.
    Exactly this. You have to learn to enjoy foods that are good for you and not carry on eating processed rubbish. Fruit, vegetables, no sugary snacks or drinks. Plenty of water. You have to learn to cook quick and simple yet nutritional meals, as it's when one is in a rush that you are more likely to grab a chocolate bar or a quick yet unhealthy snack.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaayziing)
    Learn to like them.
    I agree!
    When I was huge I used to practically have a little cry when my parents decided to make salad for dinner. I mean DINNER... SALAD.. the two just don't go together!

But now, my favourite meal OF ALL is chicken with salad lots of tomato cucumber and a tiny bit of light salad cream on top.

I'd hate cereal bars, but now I have them as treats instead of chocolate (133cal nutrigrain instead of 400+cal Yorkie.. definitely an improvement) and I would only ever eat white bread for breakfast, now I'm onto Rice Crispies.. again not the BEST but an improvement!

I also eat yoghurts every day instead of grabbing a biscuit (or packet..) after dinner.

You won't think it now, but soon you'll realise that some healthier options DO taste good!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannaaahlima)
    i'm also trying to lose weight.

try to exercise every single day for at least 45 minutes. if you can't, it's ok. anything is better than nothing.

first rule:
    eat breakfast EVERY DAY.
    since you don't like porridge, then eat rye bread (no wheat and you can find it at tesco) with jam or even nutella if you put just a little bit to give you a nice morning boost and motivation to eat breakfast (works for me). eat 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, yoghurt and milk.

second rule:
    drink LOADS of water. I'm trying to drink 1,5 L every day. keep in mind that sometimes your organism confuses thirst with hunger so you might think you're hungry but you're only thirsty. if you drink water and you're still hungry, then you're most probably hungry though. then eat something.

third rule:
    don't skip meals. eat three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and eat yoghurt, fruit or nuts every 3 hours, since it fastens your metabolism and prevents you from gaining weight due to an organism self-defence strategy.

fourth rule:
    reserve one day of the week to have a little treat. i'm not saying that you should spend the whole day eating whatever you feel like, but for example, have a small bar of chocolate or some crisps on sundays for example, or whenever you're going out.

fifth rule:
    walk when possible, instead of driving or taking the bus

sixth rule:
    drink green tea!

i hope this helps
    wish you all the best x
    i am also going to follow this! what excersise at the gym to u recomened? x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyxx)
    i am also going to follow this! what excersise at the gym to u recomened? x
    i usually work out for about 40 minutes in the machines. 4 exercises for the arms, 5 for the legs, sit-ups and then cardio. and i stretch before and after exercising. don't forget to bring a bottle of water with you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.