Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How to find a vector perpendicular to a plane.

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If 2x+y-2z=5 is the equation of a plane, how would you find a normal to this plane. The answer is (2,1,-2)
    The proof I was given was that (x,y,z).(2,1,-2)=5

This gives 2x+y-2z=5 which obviously doesn't help very much to understand why (2,1-2) is a normal to this plane.
    Am i just meant to say for any equation of a plane e.g 7x-4y+2z=11 a normal to this plane would be (7,-4,2)??

Any help greatly appreciated.
    • 4 followers

(Original post by anonstudent1)
    If 2x+y-2z=5 is the equation of a plane, how would you find a normal to this plane. The answer is (2,1,-2)

This gives 2x+y-2z=5 which obviously doesn't help very much to understand why (2,1-2) is a normal to this plane.
    Am i just meant to say for any equation of a plane e.g 7x-4y+2z=11 a normal to this plane would be (7,-4,2)??

When you see an equation of the form ax+by+cz=k, the normal to the plane is always (a,b,c).

Why? Well let \mathbf{r}=(x,y,z) and \mathbf{n}=(a,b,c). Choose numbers u,v,w such that au+bv+cw=k (that is, we can choose (u,v,w) to be any point in the plane). Then if we write \mathbf{u}=(u,v,w), we have

ax+by+cz=au+bv+cw

which is precisely the statement that \mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{n} = \mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{n}

Equivalently, (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{u}) \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0

That is, \mathbf{n} is perpendicular to (x-u,y-v,z-w) for every choice of x,y,z.

But any direction vector in the plane can be written in the form (x-u,y-v,z-w), since (u,v,w) is a fixed point in the plane and (x,y,z) is the coordinates (position vector) of any given point. So what the equation (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{u}) \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0 tells us is that \mathbf{n} is perpendicular to all directions in the plane. That is, \mathbf{n} is normal to the plane.

I hope I haven't obfuscated this too much with the heavy use of notation. Let me know if you want anything clarified.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    When you see an equation of the form ax+by+cz=k, the normal to the plane is always (a,b,c).
    Thank you for your help
    I think for the level of exams i'm doing right now, the above will be sufficient. Wow the rest looks complicated, will give it a read through when i have more time.
    • 4 followers

Thank you for your help
    I think for the level of exams i'm doing right now, the above will be sufficient. Wow the rest looks complicated, will give it a read through when i have more time.
    The rest isn't something you need to know, as such, but it shows why it's true so it's worth trying to understand once even if you don't remember it. (But as you say, maybe it's too late for that :p:)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Yes, the normal wolud be (7,-4,2) in your example.
    And why?
    For the equation of a plane we need a point on the plane
    P_0(x_0,y_0,z_0) and a vector being perpendicular to
    the plane.This is the normal vector, and let \vec n=A\vec i+B\vec j+C\vec k
    THe position vector pointing to P0 is \vec r_0=x_0\cdot \vec i+y_0\cdot \vec j+z_0\cdot \veck.
    Let a point in the plane P(x,y,z), sor the position vector
    pointing this point is \vec r=x\cdot \vec i+y\cdot \vec j+z\cdot \vec k.
    It is clear that the vector \vec r-\vec r_0 is in the plane, so
    perpendicular to the normal vector, that their dot product is zero.
    This fact gives the vector equation of the plane:
    \left (\vec r -\vec r_0\right )\cdot \vec n=0
    Calculating the dot product
    A(x-x_0)+B(y-y_0)+C(z-z_0)=0 gives the scalar equation.
    Arranging
    Ax+By+Cz=Ax_0+By_0+Cz_0=D
    whre D is a constant value.
    From this you can read down the coordinates of the normal vector (A,B,C)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)

Why? Well let \mathbf{r}=(x,y,z) and \mathbf{n}=(a,b,c). Choose numbers u,v,w such that au+bv+cw=k (that is, we can choose (u,v,w) to be any point in the plane). Then if we write \mathbf{u}=(u,v,w), we have

ax+by+cz=au+bv+cw

which is precisely the statement that \mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{n} = \mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{n}

Equivalently, (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{u}) \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0

That is, \mathbf{n} is perpendicular to (x-u,y-v,z-w) for every choice of x,y,z.

But any direction vector in the plane can be written in the form (x-u,y-v,z-w), since (u,v,w) is a fixed point in the plane and (x,y,z) is the coordinates (position vector) of any given point. So what the equation (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{u}) \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0 tells us is that \mathbf{n} is perpendicular to all directions in the plane. That is, \mathbf{n} is normal to the plane.

I hope I haven't obfuscated this too much with the heavy use of notation. Let me know if you want anything clarified.
    Are you a wizard?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    n=2i +1j -2k is already the normal vector.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.