The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Unit 1: Families & Households 17th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
hey guys

for question 2, would increase in securalisation and parenthood (marriages lead to cuts in wages, freedom, and economic pressure which results in couples reluctant to marry) account as appropriate answers?

oh and for q3, would burden on NHS, old people occupying homes for longer which gives young people difficulties finding affordable homes and also women coming out of paid employment to take care of elderly account as appropriate answers?

also i found both essays a little tricky :/

i wrote

social construction - phillip aries argued that children were expected to take on adult roles etc etc but now in modern society there are laws, government policies out to protect them, and for evaluation i wrote about postman and cunningham and how childhood can be a damaged experience for some, as they experience domestic violence?

for family diversity i wrote about how births outside of marriage, cohabitation, changing role of women, securlisation and parenthood (very briefly as i mentioned it before) rise in same sex couples all accounting for family diversity

to conclude, i wrote how changes have been exaggerated as women still see marriage as a goal but just want to pursue careers first. also same sex couples can adopt and start a family which still contributes to a nuclear family. also births outside of marriage isnt seen as a bad thing as couples still remarry which reinforces the traditional nuclear family

although there were very brief i feel like i didnt explain them in depth as i would have liked too (due to the lack of time) but thats the things i wrote

please tell me if any of these are right and which things are wrong it would be really helpful thanks!!
Reply 241
Original post by kateee_m

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE REVIEW MY QUESTIONS? :smile:

Hi, howd everyone find the test?
I thought my essays were okay-ishh. but unsure of how well i answered my small markers.

However for my Q2, i wrote that (decline in first marriages) it was because of increase in cohabitiation meaning less people marry and that the increase in divorce, put people off getting married. (i expanded the points slightly more in the exam). Does anyone reckon those points are correct?

Also, Q3, (ageing population) I wrote that, increase no. of one person household, increase no. of highly talented jobs needed, eg, doctors. and that it meant goverment needed an increase in revenue to pay out pensions. (Again, i expanded these points in the exam)

Can anyone tell me if will get full marks for them? itd be a great help if you could!! :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the talented jobs...can you expand?
Reply 242
Original post by ke95
Yeah I think for question 2 you would have got full marks :smile: and for question 3 - but not sure about more talented jobs needed? Did you mean more pressure on health services?

Thanks for the reply :biggrin:
For the one for talented jobs, im think i put down "Due to the population getting more older, there is an increase in the need for more people to fill ascribed/talented positions such as doctors/pharamists, as they need to create more medication for these older people.
(I think it went something along those lines..) How many marks do you reckon out of 6 il get for that whole question? :smile:
Reply 243
Original post by StudentL
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the talented jobs...can you expand?

I think i put down "Due to the population getting more older, there is an increase in the need for more people to fill ascribed/talented positions such as doctors/pharamists, as they need to create more medication for these older people.
(I think it went something along those lines..) How many marks do you reckon out of 6 il get for that whole question? :smile:
Reply 244
Original post by kateee_m
I think i put down "Due to the population getting more older, there is an increase in the need for more people to fill ascribed/talented positions such as doctors/pharamists, as they need to create more medication for these older people.

Hmm I thought it was okay up until the 'as they need to create more medication for these older people.'.
CRAP!

I forgot to put in any sociologist names :frown: But i did put loads of perspectives.

How bad will that affect me ??
Reply 246
i think people were getting muddled up about the question 'the effects' of an ageing population?

I assumed it meant how having an ageing population effects society, in other worse the government has more pensions to pay out however a positive effect of our ageing populating is that elderly people can still work and thus contribute to society...

Are these sorts of things right or was i wrong? Other people seem to have interpreted it different?

Not surprising since there isn't any time to 'think' in this exam. Stoopid :-/
Reply 247
Original post by akemikat
i think people were getting muddled up about the question 'the effects' of an ageing population?

I assumed it meant how having an ageing population effects society, in other worse the government has more pensions to pay out however a positive effect of our ageing populating is that elderly people can still work and thus contribute to society...

Are these sorts of things right or was i wrong? Other people seem to have interpreted it different?

Not surprising since there isn't any time to 'think' in this exam. Stoopid :-/

No that's correct.

I've noticed some people have been writing about what causes an ageing population, not what the effects on society are, which was what the question was asking.
Reply 248
Original post by TooMuchG
Would be nice if somebody could post the mark bands if you know em

10/60 - U
20/60 - E etc lol

They change every year but this January it was 38/60 for an A, 33/60 B and 5 marks per grade gap.
Reply 249
Original post by emma37
I thought it was a pretty standard paper - no big surprises.

06 For matrifocal I just said a family that is female led?

07 Secularization & it's more socially acceptable to co-habit/not get married at all (creative singleton)

08 Changes on dependancy ration, introduction of ageism and the Pensions Timebomb/drain on public finances

09 I spoke about how childhood is a social construct and there is no universal childhood. I used Stephen Waggs definition of childhood. I talked about Aires and the whole "mini adult" idea and how they used to be an economic asset whereas now they're an economic liability. I said how Opie says childhood is still a separate state from adulthood because of playground games etc. Also mentioned Postman. I talked of Sue Pilcher's 'toxic childhood' notion too. And all about our child centred society. Obviously throwing key terms in like March of Progress view too etc

10 I basically packed all of SCLY 1 into this answer and didn't focus at all on the item (because of time constraints, I had no time to read!) so I talked about how New Right is a political theory which is v closely linked with Functionalism. I talked about the functional fit and how the nuclear family is natural in their view. I then talked about the functionalist's view on the family basically. Then I went into Marxism and said how they think the family only benefits the Bourgeoise etc etc and then I moved on to Feminism and how the rising number of lone parent families which are predominantly headed by females are evidence that women are breaking away from the nuclear prison. I then mentioned about Leach & Laing's respective theories about the nuclear family; it being an 'overloaded electrical circuit' and a nexus. I don't know... I feel like my answer was pretty vague and don't know if I actually answered the question?? I'm hoping I demonstrated enough sociological knowledge to get the marks!

:smile:

Sue Palmer*
Reply 250
Hmm I thought it was okay up until the 'as they need to create more medication for these older people.'.

yea i did kinda struggle to make up points, without saying the same one/contridicting myself. how many marks out of 6 do you think il get for the full question, including the 2 other points i put in the answer?
Reply 251
Two papers -

SCLY3 - 1hr 30 minutes. One 9 mark question, one 18 mark question and one 33 mark question. Total - 60 marks.

SCLY4 is more content heavy and is a 2 hour paper.

Ah I see,thank you
Totally screwed up the two essays on this exam

For the childhood one, I talked about changes as a result of industrialisation and the perspectives on these because that was the closest thing I could think of to 'the last 50 years or so'. It was only as I was writing the conclusion that I figured the essay wanted perspectives on the disappearance of childhood and the reconstruction of childhood, by which time it was too late *facepalm*.

And then for the diversity essay, I mentioned the New Right perspective but could think of nothing other than Chester to evaluate it with. I ended up talking about functionalism and marriage and other crap to fill the time. Again, it was only after I had finished the frigging essay that I realised what I could of said; I could have brought in the postmodernist perspectives and said although they also agree that it has led to the decline of the nuclear family, they view it more positively *facepalm x2*.

Stupid time constraints not giving me enough time to think. >:frown:

Hello U grade :'(
Original post by KatherineBates
Totally screwed up the two essays on this exam

For the childhood one, I talked about changes as a result of industrialisation and the perspectives on these because that was the closest thing I could think of to 'the last 50 years or so'. It was only as I was writing the conclusion that I figured the essay wanted perspectives on the disappearance of childhood and the reconstruction of childhood, by which time it was too late *facepalm*.

And then for the diversity essay, I mentioned the New Right perspective but could think of nothing other than Chester to evaluate it with. I ended up talking about functionalism and marriage and other crap to fill the time. Again, it was only after I had finished the frigging essay that I realised what I could of said; I could have brought in the postmodernist perspectives and said although they also agree that it has led to the decline of the nuclear family, they view it more positively *facepalm x2*.

Stupid time constraints not giving me enough time to think. >:frown:

Hello U grade :'(

Don't worry yourself too much,its done now :smile: but remember theres paper 2 which is worth 60%!
Reply 254
I did both of my essays well but as the time was short i couldn't put conclusions at the end :frown:.... is it going to have a big impact on my overall essays?
Reply 255
Original post by Khalida
I did both of my essays well but as the time was short i couldn't put conclusions at the end :frown:.... is it going to have a big impact on my overall essays?

You may lose a couple of marks, but the conclusion isn't as important as the rest of the essay so I'm sure it won't affect your mark too much :smile:
Reply 256
Original post by Sujayshah2
Why are you retaking it so much?

first time was a low B, and then last year it was a high B. and my overal grade for Sociology was a B, 3 marks away from an overall A. so i thought might as well retake and maybe get an overal A.
Original post by JustDisturbia
Don't worry yourself too much,its done now :smile: but remember theres paper 2 which is worth 60%!

That paper 2 is my lifeline right now! haha :smile:
Reply 258
Original post by ke95
You may lose a couple of marks, but the conclusion isn't as important as the rest of the essay so I'm sure it won't affect your mark too much :smile:

thanks for the reply.. that leaves me on a positive note :smile:
I had no idea what a matrifocal family is, we were never told of such a thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending