The Student Room Group

are my a levels 'respected'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soph(:
To do law you don't actually have to do it for AS, and apparently they prefer you not to do it because it's so different at uni

I didnt say you have to do it but if you ask the universities then theyll tell you that its definitely not a disadvantage. Youre going on preconceptions that law at a level is bad rather than any truth
Reply 41
Original post by Bimbleby
No, if you're looking to do Law, most Law courses will advise you not to take Law A Level. I know it's ridiculously unintuitive, but I've heard it a lot, and none of the Law students I know took Law A Level.

None of the Philosophers I know took Philosophy, for that matter, either, though a lot did RS...

I think you will find that no Law school discourages taking Law A level. They all say that it neither puts you at an advantage, or a disadvantage, so long as two of your A levels are traditional subjects.
Reply 42
Original post by Sean9001
I think you will find that no Law school discourages taking Law A level. They all say that it neither puts you at an advantage, or a disadvantage, so long as two of your A levels are traditional subjects.

Well they don't mind but the key point I'm making is that it is not essential to take it! Also the harder your subjects are the more at an advantage you are e.g. if you take media for example it doesn't look as good (sent to wrong person, sorry)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by levantine
I didnt say you have to do it but if you ask the universities then theyll tell you that its definitely not a disadvantage. Youre going on preconceptions that law at a level is bad rather than any truth

Well I was answerng for those who believed it was essential. No, it's not bad but it's not really seen as a 'hard' subject.
Original post by BenWood!X
i want to study RS or law at uni. i'm thinking of taking

-rs
-history
-eng lit
-philosophy
-law/media (5th as)

I would just like to offer my personal experience, OP. I took English, media, psychology and sociology for AS and applied to study law at university. I got 4/5 offers from top universities for law (Warwick, Southampton, Reading and Birmingham) and the unsuccessful application was because I missed that university's LNAT cut-off point. You'd look at my subject choices and think I didn't have much hope, right? Evidently that wasn't the case, or I'd have had 5 rejections! If you're going for Oxbridge/LSE/UCL etc. then reconsider the 5th AS - you don't really need an additional subject anyway, but if you really want to do one, swap it with something a bit more 'traditional'.

Don't believe all the 'respected A-levels' stuff you read on TSR. It is true to a certain extent but it certainly didn't hinder my application. You have to remember that other factors are equally as important such as the personal statement, GCSE/AS grades and LNAT/other admissions tests scores :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Sean9001

You're wrong there. LSE have it on their website that it's 'non-preferred'.

Manchester also admitted to it being non-preferred when AQA asked them.
Reply 46
Original post by roh
You're wrong there. LSE have it on their website that it's 'non-preferred'.

Manchester also admitted to it being non-preferred when AQA asked them.

While you are technically correct her other subjects are fine so it probably won't hurt chances. This true at least at both LSE and Manchester since 4 of 5 subjects are not the on the less preferred subjects list. "The two institutions which did not reply positively to both questions were Manchester and LSE, which have A-Level Law on their list of less preferred subjects. They do accept Law, so long as it accompanied by two other subjects which are not on their list of less preferred subjects." (http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2160-W-UNI-LAW.PDF) at bottom of the second page
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
i did media.

It's looked negatively...Loved it cos you can use it to analyse many stuff blah blah...but too bad they don't link it cos its a soft subject.
Reply 48
Original post by DarkTitan
i did media.

It's looked negatively...Loved it cos you can use it to analyse many stuff blah blah...but too bad they don't link it cos its a soft subject.

What other subjects did you take?
Reply 49

-rs
-history
-eng lit
-philosophy
-law/media (5th as)

Swap your first three to bio chem and maths :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by us3481jd
What other subjects did you take?

media
mathematics
computing

I did psychology but i got bored of it cos of all the nagging the girls in the class were doing so i dropped out of it. Only got 2 A-levels and 1 AS under my belt...the maths is the A/s lol
Reply 51
Original post by The Doggfather
English Lit and History are respected

The rest aren't

I wouldn't say "the rest arent" seem as religious studies and philosophy are respected. The only one that I would say is dodgy is law / media. Law schools at UK Uni's don't want people to A-Level Law.

-rs
-history
-eng lit
-philosophy
-law/media (5th as)

...yeah they are (except for law/media) Change it for a respected Science.
...I'm not sure about RS courses in uni, but for Law, they prefer you not having done the subject before, ever.
Reply 53
Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...yeah they are (except for law/media) Change it for a respected Science.
...I'm not sure about RS courses in uni, but for Law, they prefer you not having done the subject before, ever.

Really? How comes, I would have thought they would like it no? I'm actually curious :s-smilie:
Original post by DarkTitan
Really? How comes, I would have thought they would like it no? I'm actually curious :s-smilie:

...not sure, but it's true, for the fact of it being a 'soft' subject. Ask LSE :smile:
I didn't apply for Law, but it's the fact that whatever you've learned before...will not apply in uni level. But this only applies if you're aiming to the prestigious universities.
I was thinking of doing it, asy subjects are 'strong' enough and have okay-ish predicted grades (AABc) for Classic Civ, English Lang/Lit, History and Biology. But I'm not really the "Law guy".

Someone who is serious to do Law should do English Lit (a must), and maybe History.
Reply 55
Original post by us3481jd
While you are technically correct her other subjects are fine so it probably won't hurt chances. This true at least at both LSE and Manchester since 4 of 5 subjects are not the on the less preferred subjects list. "The two institutions which did not reply positively to both questions were Manchester and LSE, which have A-Level Law on their list of less preferred subjects. They do accept Law, so long as it accompanied by two other subjects which are not on their list of less preferred subjects." (http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2160-W-UNI-LAW.PDF) at bottom of the second page

I know, but this thread's pretty big so will be seen by lots of people and if they have their heart set on either LSE (maybe want to do IB) or Manc (want to get on the lash as a Fresher at an RG :tongue:) it's useful to know they aren't fans of A Level law.

Quick Reply

Latest