Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roman Catholics responses to abortion?

Announcements Posted on
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm revising for my R.E. exam but I'm unclear about whether Roman Catholics believe that abortion is always forbidden or if it is allowed under circumstances such as the mother's like being at risk. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me and perhaps give me a quote or religious teaching. Thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    From my sketchy understanding of Catholicism I believe that they are very much 100% pro-life, however you will obviously find a few Catholics who do believe it to be acceptable in certain cases. I also think I'm right in saying that the Catholics tend to take the Bible more literally than other denominations, hence why they're views are seen as more 'radical'.

As for quotes, couldn't really help you.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    A procedure which takes place where the aim is to kill the child is never allowed in Roman Catholic ethics.

What is allowed, if the woman would die otherwise, is a procedure which would save her life, however the aim cannot be to terminate the life of the child.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Catholic doctrine states that it can only happen if, as you say, it is to save the mother's life, or a few other things. I can't remember the exact term, but it does have one. Basically, it is allowed as long as it isn't the main intention of the procedure.

Many Catholics will have differing levels of acceptance towards abortion. For example, I accept people's right to chose to do it, but if it was up to me there would be a limit of 16 weeks, and it would be mandatory for adoption to be "considered" prior to the procedure.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Doctrine of Double Effect was put forward by Aquinas, so that is a good action took place where on of the consequences was good, as long as the motive was sound it's fine. For example, if a foetus had become embedded in the fallopian tube of a woman, it would be consistent with Catholic teaching to remove the tube and the foetus, because the aim was to save the life of the mother, rather than to terminate the foetus.

I'm Catholic, and I believe that in all other circumstances abortion is wrong. People should have the right to choose what happens to their own body, but once the embryo has formed from the egg and the sperm it's no longer their body, it's a completely distinct entity. Even in the case of rape (where the chances of implantation are very small anyway) or incest, the child should not be punished for the actions of the father or mother.

Hope this helps
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseymackem)
    The Doctrine of Double Effect was put forward by Aquinas, so that is a good action took place where on of the consequences was good, as long as the motive was sound it's fine. For example, if a foetus had become embedded in the fallopian tube of a woman, it would be consistent with Catholic teaching to remove the tube and the foetus, because the aim was to save the life of the mother, rather than to terminate the foetus.

I'm Catholic, and I believe that in all other circumstances abortion is wrong. People should have the right to choose what happens to their own body, but once the embryo has formed from the egg and the sperm it's no longer their body, it's a completely distinct entity. Even in the case of rape (where the chances of implantation are very small anyway) or incest, the child should not be punished for the actions of the father or mother.

Hope this helps
    Thanks, it does help a lot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was baptised roman catholic but i like to consider myself a atheist because i dont believe in religion. i will answer it anyway.

this is my opinion not anyone else's. i think abortion is only acceptable if the foetus will not survive outside the womb/ has a serious medical disease and will die shortly after birth or live a life full of horrible pain etc.

if a woman is raped or incest has occurred. i think they have every right to terminate. i know the child would be innocent but rape is rape ( hopefully the police and doctors would help the victim and give them emergency contraception ) i dont really know of any other scenario where i think abortion is ok

but if its just a case of a woman/girl was too careless to use birth control pills/ condoms and other forms of proven contraception. i dont think its right. i know certain life situations can make it hard to see yourself being able to have a baby. even if they dont want the baby. adoption is a option. i know there is so many kids already who need a home. but there is lots of women who cant have children. i mean i think its better to have a kid when you arnt ready for it instead of never being able to have a kid ever even with treatments etc.

at the end of the day its a woman's personal choice they have to do whats right for them, and the baby if they choose to stay pregnant.

i know the man has no say but i still think they have a right to know what is going to happen. if they are anyway paternal at all they will care.

we had this discussion before in history class we were studying the reformation.i know a few decades ago everyone married young had alot of kids etc i think every family had like 6-8 kids. the catholic church wanted more catholics in the world. so they refused the idea of abortion.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    A procedure which takes place where the aim is to kill the child is never allowed in Roman Catholic ethics.

What is allowed, if the woman would die otherwise, is a procedure which would save her life, however the aim cannot be to terminate the life of the child.
    This summarises what RC's believe.

The latter is usually seen as the lesser of two evils if I remember correctly. So it depends a bit more on your intention.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.