Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question to Muslims

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now, this is not an Islamophobic thread, but I have some questions.
    Muslims often say how Islam is a peaceful religion, and they are peaceful people etc.
    However, there have been polls around the UK showing these statistics.

-Surveys vary from 40-60% of Muslms in the UK wanting the sharia law.

-And 1 in 3 (33%) of Muslims think killing for Islam is OK.

Can I please have a response from some Muslims on how you feel about this, and what your personal view is? These figures do debunk the statement that 'Islam is peaceful'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you really believe you will get honest responses? those 40-60% and 33% is only those who admit. rest is probably taqiyah.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voleva)
    do you really believe you will get honest responses? those 40-60% and 33% is only those who admit. rest is probably taqiyah.
    What are you trying to say?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)
    Muslims often say how Islam is a peaceful religion, and they are peaceful people etc.

Can I please have a response from some Muslims on how you feel about this, and what your personal view is? These figures do debunk the statement that 'Islam is peaceful'.
    Can you tell me exactly where you got these "statistics" from? I completely disagree with 1 in 3 Muslims thinking for Islam is ok. People automatically assume Muslims always take on a fundamental view on everything and whilst that's true for some people, it is mostly likely to a minorty. I think people also tend to forget that there are around 3 millions muslims in the UK, I guarantee you that 1 million of them do not think killing for Islam is ok - In my opinion I think those statistics were based on people's prejudices.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not good statistics as a very large amount of Muslims in the UK are south Asians. This particular ethnic group, where a large amount of people (Probably not majority but larger than average) think killing is fine as long as it is justified (which is almost never).

Take a same survey in the any countries where a Muslim community which south Asians are not majority, you will get much lower amount of people thinking killing is fine. Same thing applies to South Asians non-Muslims will get roughly same percent of people thinking killing is fine.

No offense are intended, but my main point is... it's not Islam, it's cultural.

Another thing is what is wrong with people wanting Shariah Law?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They will come, more or less blend in to some degree, then when the percentages are at a certain point, society will be moved towards Islam. All of the far right people say it, so the leftist intellectuals will automatically disagree with it and associate the view with stupidity. However, you only have to study the modern history of the state of Lebanon to see a good example of it being the case.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    question is: why would you not want sharia law?

ill tell you the benefits
    1/ it gets rid of horny rapists
    2/ it destroys murderers
    3/ prevents stealing/theft/burglary's etc
    4/ no one lies
    5/ creates a perfect country/world

:yep::yep::u:

why the neg reps?? it was just a joke. :puppyeyes:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemicalX)

2/ it destroys murderers
    4/ no one lies

Because I like to drink and don't think religion should be able to tell people what to do.

Besides, people will always lie & it's most definitely not a perfect world if there's no alcohol.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)

At least give a source?
    Don't tell me it's the dailymail :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The stats look rubbish to me. Let me clarify:

1. Muslims want Shariah law so they could abide by it, nobody else. The Jews have their own courts that deal with Jewish matters. Muslims generally want Shariah courts to deal with their own Islamic problems. We have very specific ways of dealing with divorce, wills etc. It's actually very fair, and I'm a law graduate, so I can make contrast with English common law. And believe me, women get a better deal under the Shariah system.

2. Killing for the sake of Islam is something people say out of principle, it doesn't necessarily mean they will do it. In the same way that if someone harmed my family, I would harm that person X. Similarly, Muslims believe they belong to the 'Muslim' family, that doesn't necessarily mean we won't do it for a non-Muslim, they would. But it's to protect the faith from harm.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The statements of the survey are too broad and vague for any meaningful interpretation to be made from them.

"Wanting Sharia Law" can involve simple things like having Islamic arbitrators for civil matters (e.g. determining whether or not a marriage is Islamically recognised), which we already have in the UK. It can also involve wanting to implement Sharia punishments for criminal offences (e.g. making alcohol illegal etc.)
    If a person answers "yes" to the question "Do you want Sharia Law in the UK", he hasn't really told you much.

"Killing for Islam". What does that mean, exactly? Again, this could simply be a person who is pro-death penalty for crimes such as murder, treason, terrorism etc. in accordance with Islamic values. Or it could be a person who wants to go round killing everyone who isn't Muslim.
    Again, a person who says he thinks "Killing for Islam" is OK hasn't told you much.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

2/ it destroys murderers
    4/ no one lies

People would not be able to leave the religion, and homosexuals would not be able to marry/have relationships. Also, women getting half the inheritance of a brother would get on my nerves too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)

What is it with you Islamophobic tossers conjuring 'statistics' out of thin air all the time?? Is your life so void that all you ever want to do is defame Islam? It's a waste of a life. Why not save yourself the hassle and convert already.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)
    That's how they all start.

(Original post by Coke1)
    We're peaceful to people who are peaceful to us.

(Original post by Coke1)
    That's disappointing, would've hoped it was 100%. But 60 isn't bad I suppose.

Ofcourse Muslims would prefer to live under proper Shariah. Shariah doesn't mean "violence", it means God's Law.

And technically all Muslims are already following it, when we pray 5 times a day, fast during Ramadan etc. We're following Shariah

(Original post by Coke1)
    Actually Muslims are the least likely people who can justify killing civilians.

Even the "terrorists" like Taliban, Chechnyan Mujahideen, Al Shabab (though there's divisions in there atm, so not sure) know that killing innocent civilians is against Shariah. It's a basic and extremely clear tenant of the Islamic faith.

Through interviews with 2,482 Americans, Gallup found that 78 percent of Muslims believe violence which kills civilians is never justified, whereas just 38 percent of Protestant Christians and 39 percent of Catholics agreed with that sentiment. Fifty-six percent of atheists answered similarly.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ricans/242975/
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/0...ject-violence/

Funnily enough even Al Qaeda know killing innocents isn't allowed, so they dodge the issue by trying to differentiate what a civilian is. And they also try to go on weak opinions (not even scripture, or any famous classical scholar) that killing civilians is allowed to stop the enemy from killing your civilians.

Both have obviously been refuted heavily, which is why Muslims do not agree with Al Qaeda's ideology (that's including those scary salafi's and wahabi's )

(Original post by Coke1)
    You should first try to debunk your ignorance, it's a major hindrance in life.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    At least give a source?
    Don't tell me it's the dailymail :rolleyes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_i...United_Kingdom

A 2009 survey of the attitudes of British Muslims found 77% said they identified "very strongly" with the UK, compared to 50% of the general public.[9] However, only 7% of Muslims in Britain think of themselves as British first, with 81% thinking of themselves as Muslim first.[10] 40% of British Muslims want Sharia in the UK,[11] and 28% of British Muslims want Britain to be an Islamic state
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first question entails whether a Muslim prefers Islam. It can be interpreted as would they want to pray, would they want to drink alcohol, would they want to have boyfriend or girlfriend, would they want to be fasting, would they want to be giving to charity etc. Many different aspects are involved as Islam is a way of life. What I don't understand is for the 60% remaining, why would they choose to remain Muslim, had they not preferred Islam at all? Or is this simply talking about different aspects and what aspects would they be?

As for the second, this can be interpreted in many different manners too. You can discuss "killing for Islam" from the issue of the Shari'ah penal code, death penalty for murder for instance, or simply involving a ban on minarets.

Not very clear.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dongonaeatu)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_i...United_Kingdom

A 2009 survey of the attitudes of British Muslims found 77% said they identified "very strongly" with the UK, compared to 50% of the general public.[9] However, only 7% of Muslims in Britain think of themselves as British first, with 81% thinking of themselves as Muslim first.[10] 40% of British Muslims want Sharia in the UK,[11] and 28% of British Muslims want Britain to be an Islamic state
    That's nice to see. Fits well with;

We don't believe nationalism is a good thing, as it differentiates and divides people, sometimes invoking racial and cultural discriminations. Though sadly, there's still alot of Muslims who do not understand this simple concept (ie. Arab nationalism etc.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A 2009 survey of the attitudes of British Muslims found 77% said they identified "very strongly" with the UK, compared to 50% of the general public. A greater proportion of Muslims (almost 50%) than other religions were are proud of Britain's stance on gay rights, with less than 11% disagreeing.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voleva)
    Taqiyya (alternate spellings taqiya, taqiyah, tuqyah), meaning religious dissimulation,[1] is a practice emphasized in Shi'a Islam whereby adherents may conceal their religion when they are under threat, persecution, or compulsion.[2] This means a legal dispensation whereby a believing individual can deny his faith or commit otherwise illegal or blasphemous acts while they are under those risks.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiyya

why would we deny we're muslims?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

2/ it destroys murderers
    4/ no one lies

benefits of not having it? if so, why do those things still exist in an abundance.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.