The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit Love Through the Ages June 2012 EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by never too late
hahaa, totally agree with you on the coursework front! Good luck to you too :smile:

I hated coursework when I was doing it, but now I'm SOOOOOO glad I have some marks in the bag!

Really I need to be revising, but I had an exam today and I can't seem to focus on revision... Fresh start tomorrow!

Let me know how you find the exam on wednesday, praying all will be well...

Good luck :smile:
This is a much better answer than mine! :P I'm also using that poem, but couldn't remember the name... Also, thanks so much for the examiner's comments- really helpful. How are you revising for this exam? Have you split up the different aspects of love and then found quotes from each genre? I'm worried as a double play for the first question hasn't come up yet. You seem to know your stuff, all the best for the exam! :smile:

No worries :smile: As we speak I'm at the library cramming like crazy haha, I have french the day before this exam :frown:. I've just been making sure I have all my wider reading quotes in my head by looking at random extracts and planning essay answers to them, like which ones I think would suit the extract the most. I didn't go all out and attempt to pretend to know new poems/novels/plays, I just organised all the texts I have studied in depth over the past two years. For each wider reading text, I listed all the types of love that it covers and then backed these up with quotes. I feel like if you try to learn new texts it'll just seem a bit artificial. Pick texts you know well!
Yeahhh I'm kinda dreading drama coming up too... but at least we had a few days to fortify our knowledge in that section if it does appear! Thanks! Good luck to you too :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by swbp
Haha thanks alot :smile: Will it say if the poem is an elegy in the exam, or will we have to recognise it ourselves?

I've only covered 3 poems for the exam - however they are a sonnet, and elegy and an epic poem, and The Miller's tale covers loads of themes so ..

No problem. I doubt they'd mention it for us, because that comes under form so if we recognise it, we get marked up.

Yeah The Miller's Tale is a good one to use, plus they'll be impressed you've used Chaucer :wink: I'm using The Knight's Tale. Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
anyone know what the grade boundries are in this exam to get an A or a b?
Reply 104
Does anyone know what the ums boundaries are for this paper?
I need 49 ums for an A which is apparently a low E??? that can't be right...
Original post by viix
Does anyone know what the ums boundaries are for this paper?
I need 49 ums for an A which is apparently a low E??? that can't be right...

I'm the same!! I think I need 42/43 if the conversions for coursework UMS remain the same. What marks have you got so far?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by confused dot com
I'm the same!! I think it works out at around 42/43 if the conversions for coursework UMS remain the same. What marks have you got so far?

Yeah if that's the case i'm not complaining. :tongue: It's just lower than I realised. So far I have 271 ums if I've added correctly. Coursework is out of 80 ums right?
Original post by viix
Yeah if that's the case i'm not complaining. :tongue: It's just lower than I realised. So far I have 271 ums if I've added correctly. Coursework is out of 80 ums right?

Yep, and you need 320 UMS in total to get an A. Congrats anyway, you must have done amazingly well on your other exams/coursework :h:
Reply 108
Yep, and you need 320 UMS in total to get an A. Congrats anyway, you must have done amazingly well on your other exams/coursework :h:

You too good luck with your exams:smile: English is supposed to be my best subject so I kind of feel like I need to push for an A*, not sure if I can be bothered though. I'm far too lazy for my own good.
Original post by viix
You too good luck with your exams:smile: English is supposed to be my best subject so I kind of feel like I need to push for an A*, not sure if I can be bothered though. I'm far too lazy for my own good.

Haha, this is exactly me for Chem, Maths and English. I want A*s, but just can't motivate myself to get them :redface:
Reply 110
Haha, this is exactly me for Chem, Maths and English. I want A*s, but just can't motivate myself to get them :redface:

Yep, way too much effort for me.
Original post by Ella-Chizoba
No worries :smile: As we speak I'm at the library cramming like crazy haha, I have french the day before this exam :frown:. I've just been making sure I have all my wider reading quotes in my head by looking at random extracts and planning essay answers to them, like which ones I think would suit the extract the most. I didn't go all out and attempt to pretend to know new poems/novels/plays, I just organised all the texts I have studied in depth over the past two years. For each wider reading text, I listed all the types of love that it covers and then backed these up with quotes. I feel like if you try to learn new texts it'll just seem a bit artificial. Pick texts you know well!
Yeahhh I'm kinda dreading drama coming up too... but at least we had a few days to fortify our knowledge in that section if it does appear! Thanks! Good luck to you too :biggrin:

:smile: Oh no! I find it really hard to revise for this exam it's different to revising for other subjects where you know which facts and topics you need to cover! I have French on Tuesday too! Do you do WJEC? Ahh sounds like a good technique- usually random quotes just seem to stick in my head anyway even if i haven't specifically chosen them to cover a certain aspect of love so hopefully i'll be able to find wr links somehow... True! I'm worried about mentioning structure though!Thanks :biggrin: Oh well it will all be over soon- it's my last exam!
:smile: Oh no! I find it really hard to revise for this exam it's different to revising for other subjects where you know which facts and topics you need to cover! I have French on Tuesday too! Do you do WJEC? Ahh sounds like a good technique- usually random quotes just seem to stick in my head anyway even if i haven't specifically chosen them to cover a certain aspect of love so hopefully i'll be able to find wr links somehow... True! I'm worried about mentioning structure though!Thanks :biggrin: Oh well it will all be over soon- it's my last exam!

Fair enough, there isn't really a set way to revise for it tbh. French buddies! Nope I'm on OCR :smile: It's my last exam too... then partying all summer :biggrin: What course are you going to study at uni? And at which uni?
Original post by Ella-Chizoba
Fair enough, there isn't really a set way to revise for it tbh. French buddies! Nope I'm on OCR :smile: It's my last exam too... then partying all summer :biggrin: What course are you going to study at uni? And at which uni?

Let's just hope for a fair paper on the day! Woo! Ahh right, have you studied any French Literature for your exam? We've done Boule de Suif which i'm not a huge fan of. Hopefully Law with French at Cardiff :smile: What about you?
Our paper doesn't require us to study literature. We have an essay at the end, there are 8 questions we can choose from, not too bad :smile: and wow I'm hoping to study law with french at sheffield! :smile:
Wow, English has probably switched from being my easiest subject last year to may hardest one this year :s-smilie:

ooo what ums do you have to get for a B/where did you find this?
Reply 117
Original post by rachbeanz
ooo what ums do you have to get for a B/where did you find this?

280/400 UMS would be a B overall. B grade in this exam is 84 UMS (out of 120).
Original post by Choppyy
280/400 UMS would be a B overall. B grade in this exam is 84 UMS (out of 120).

oh well that is great! thankyou!
just working things out,
at AS got 141 ums at B grade (A in coursework D in the exam)
at A2 coursework got 66 out of 70 (im trying to convert it to ums but on the converter there is no option for just english lit?!?!)
So want to see what i need to get in this exam to get a B overall and get into uni
Reply 119
Original post by rachbeanz
oh well that is great! thankyou!
just working things out,
at AS got 141 ums at B grade (A in coursework D in the exam)
at A2 coursework got 66 out of 70 (im trying to convert it to ums but on the converter there is no option for just english lit?!?!)
So want to see what i need to get in this exam to get a B overall and get into uni

66/70 is approx 76/80 UMS going on last year's boundaries. This means you need 63/120 UMS in the exam (lowish D) to get a B!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending