Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I crazy for attempting this? (A writer, looking for opinions).

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    First a bit of background, will help I guess. I'm years old, and I've always enjoyed reading. All throughout primary school I was reading - Oliver Twist, Harry Potter, Bill Bryson, etc. It was in primary school that I discovered that I wasn't a half-bad writer either, so convuluted as the british education system is, I got to write a couple of stories during primary school, and I guess my teachers gave good feedback, but then again, it was primary school, and reading those stories now, I used way to many adjectives and metaphors, and the stories were a bit messy.

But I digress; I've recently decided to write a story and I'm kind of hoping that it could maybe get published. Is this a hopeless dream? and is it totally improbable?

Judging from what I've just told you about my book, would you think it could be a worthy read if done right?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would probably give it a read!!

Although you sure you can write a 100 pages worth of script.. if yes... its a great idea and u should complete the book!! Keep me posted
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start with short stories. Easier to manage, more likely to be read from less known writers, and likely to get published in a magazine of some sort, if it's good enough.

I'd happily read it. Riemann Hypothesis has always interested me, sounds cool!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a worthy read to me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The chances of being published are very slim, and by a reputable publishing company that will advertise it efficiently? even slimmer. There is always a chance though, and if you don't try then you'll never know I suppose?

But don't be disheartened if it gets rejected, thousands upon thousands of books are published each year (in fact, approx. 3,000,000 in 2011 alone) and such a slim proportion makes it into retailers or enjoys any media attention whatsoever. Good luck though!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like somethind thatis definitely worth doing even if just becomes a very sketchy first draft. Personally I think 14 is too young to write convincingly, I'm 20 and still don't think I have enough life experience to make a mature novel.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you don't write it, it can't be published!

I've been writing in one form or another since I was about seven, it's still my dream to get published one day.

What I do at the moment is post some of my works (I have literally 30 folders all filled with half-complete ideas) on ebook websites. You get readers and feedback The only downside is that most of these sites are filled with hopeless romantic teenage girls, so if you don't write romance it's pretty hard to break into (I write romance and histfic and it's still hard!) If you do want to do this, make sure to choose a site where you can copyright your work and readers can't copy+paste your work. Let me know if you want some suggestions.

I would say go ahead and write it. You'll probably end up rewriting it at least twice, so get a head start. I don't want to sound mean or condescending, but I was looking over some stuff I wrote when I was 14 and it was awful! It's good for a 14 year old, but not that great when you compare it to published authors.

Go for it!

In the mean time, hone your skills by writing short stories or just descriptive pieces. And read.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. I know someone who wrote a novel when they were 14 and they're now 15 and sending queries out to agents. No offers yet, but she's had good feedback and requests for fulls and from what I hear, the novel is really good. Even if she and you never get the book published, the experience of writing a full novel is invaluable and something that people decades older than you struggle to achieve so if you can do it, then great! You will only get better by writing, after all.

If you write because you enjoy it then it's already worth the attempt, whether you get published or not. I say, go for it and good luck
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cesca42)
    I was looking over some stuff I wrote when I was 14 and it was awful! It's good for a 14 year old, but not that great when you compare it to published authors.

I thought the same thing. I think I'm quite a compelling writer if I'm honest...but I thought that at 14 too. Reading through short stories while cleaning out draws, I saw how flat and shockingly dull some of it was! Obviously I think I've improved drastically now, but I'm sure by the time I finish uni I'll look back and think "What was I thinking :rolleyes: " all over again!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    First a bit of background, will help I guess. I'm 14 years old, and I've always enjoyed reading. All throughout primary school I was reading - Oliver Twist, Harry Potter, Bill Bryson, etc. It was in primary school that I discovered that I wasn't a half-bad writer either, so convuluted as the british education system is, I got to write a couple of stories during primary school, and I guess my teachers gave good feedback, but then again, it was primary school, and reading those stories now, I used way to many adjectives and metaphors, and the stories were a bit messy.

But I digress; I've recently decided to write a story and I'm kind of hoping that it could maybe get published. Is this a hopeless dream? and is it totally improbable?

I'm not going to say too much on the story, but it's basically about the Riemann Hypothesis, the economy and the intelligence world. I'm drawing inspiration from Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series among others. I'm currently around 2000 words in.

Judging from what I've just told you about my book, would you think it could be a worthy read if done right?
    So long as it has less commas in it than that first paragraph.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    Yeah could do with some semi-colons in there tbh.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    and too* instead of to
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cesca42)
    Well, if you don't write it, it can't be published!

I've been writing in one form or another since I was about seven, it's still my dream to get published one day.

What I do at the moment is post some of my works (I have literally 30 folders all filled with half-complete ideas) on ebook websites. You get readers and feedback The only downside is that most of these sites are filled with hopeless romantic teenage girls, so if you don't write romance it's pretty hard to break into (I write romance and histfic and it's still hard!) If you do want to do this, make sure to choose a site where you can copyright your work and readers can't copy+paste your work. Let me know if you want some suggestions.

I would say go ahead and write it. You'll probably end up rewriting it at least twice, so get a head start. I don't want to sound mean or condescending, but I was looking over some stuff I wrote when I was 14 and it was awful! It's good for a 14 year old, but not that great when you compare it to published authors.

Go for it!

In the mean time, hone your skills by writing short stories or just descriptive pieces. And read.
    Yeah, I know it probably won't make me the next JK Rowling or something but I do believe that the story will be fairly good. At least after a few drafts, as I tend to have scatterbrain, so I'll write down all my ideas and then organise them properly after.

I've done quite a lot of short stories and poems, so I'm *hoping* I'll be able to manage a full scale book. I'm aiming for around 200 pages probably, with about 300 words per page - so 60,000 words in total. It may end up being less or more though.

Also I ran out of rep, but If I could I would give more + rep to those who offer/ed feedback.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Loads of comma's? They're none in the post, which I hope will compensate for the overly-comma-ed first post.

In all seriousness, I typed the first post quite fast and since it's an internet forum I didn't think people would be such grammar nazis. Sadly, I was mistaken.

I hope this comma free post will make up for your dissatisfaction.
    Touchy are we I don't really get this post, you say it's 'comma free' then bold all of the commas in it? Please explain, I am confuzzled.

My honest advise, only do it if you're going to enjoy it. I doubt a book you write at your age is going to make it to print. You might be better off focusing on grades for now and looking into this further down the line. However if it's something you enjoy doing in your spare time then why not? It's surely more productive then wasting away on a Playstation (my teens right there).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Touchy are we I don't really get this post, you say it's 'comma free' then bold all of the commas in it? Please explain, I am confuzzled.

My honest advise, only do it if you're going to enjoy it. I doubt a book you write at your age is going to make it to print. You might be better off focusing on grades for now and looking into this further down the line. However if it's something you enjoy doing in your spare time then why not? It's surely more productive then wasting away on a Playstation (my teens right there).
    It was my attempt at poor humor with a bit of sarcasm at the guy complaining of my usage of comma's. Guess that didn't work

I do enjoy writing; I'm not writing for the aim of fame or publication, of course if it does get published that would be amazing, but even if it doesn't, it'll still be a big accomplishment for me to write a whole book. Perhaps I could distribute it online or something.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're 14.
    Just putting it out there.

Now to be constructive:
    You should so enter it in to the annual Terry Pratchett competition.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There have been some pretty young writers. Christopher Paolini started writing at 16, and he's one of the most successful fantasy authors in the world.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Loads of comma's? They're none in the post, which I hope will compensate for the overly-comma-ed first post.

In all seriousness, I typed the first post quite fast and since it's an internet forum I didn't think people would be such grammar nazis. Sadly, I was mistaken.

I hope this comma free post will make up for your dissatisfaction.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    There have been some pretty young writers. Christopher Paolini started writing at 16, and he's one of the most successful fantasy authors in the world.
    Stephen R Donaldson too.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know it probably won't make me the next JK Rowling or something but I do believe that the story will be fairly good. At least after a few drafts, as I tend to have scatterbrain, so I'll write down all my ideas and then organise them properly after.

I've done quite a lot of short stories and poems, so I'm *hoping* I'll be able to manage a full scale book. I'm aiming for around 200 pages probably, with about 300 words per page - so 60,000 words in total. It may end up being less or more though.

Also I ran out of rep, but If I could I would give more + rep to those who offer/ed feedback.
    I don't see age being an issue, but I agree with those that said you might be a bit inexperienced. I started writing short stories from the age of nine, and I can tell you that mostly everything i'd written at fourteen was cringe-worthy!

You could write it, hold onto it for a year or two, redraft it and then send it to publishers.

Don't put a word-limit on it though

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.