Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FA Cup final: Petr Cech - best save of all time?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    People got distracted by the fact that it was so close to being a goal, but for me the fact that it didn't makes this the best save I've ever seen.

I certainly reckon it's up there with Seaman and Banks just for the stunning reflexes needed to turn a header like that out from under the bar as well as the prestige and importance of the occasion.

I've linked the video as well as some other very credible candidates.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqm...led-goal_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjO4C6tbWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-Pm...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqwh...eature=related

For the record I'm a goalkeeper myself. Please discuss.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Great save but not the best of all time. In fact, Cech has made even better saves. I'll find some.

Hell...I even think Seaman's save was better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzSn...eature=related (An amazing save from Casillas. Watch from 3.50)

Edit: Shame I couldn't find those better saves from Cech on youtube. Basically, before his head injury, he made 2 or 3 unbelievable saves. But I can't remember what teams they were against. Oh well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was very very good.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Banks' vs Pele as it included reactions and diving. And several of Schmeichel's saves were better.

Having said that, the brilliant officiating shouldn't shadow the fact Cech made a phenomenal save.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    that one David Seaman save on the line was as good. but yes, a very, very good save by Cech!

edit:
    the greatest save ever? probably THIS ONE.

• 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's far off from being considered best of all time. It was a great save and it shows the guy has still got it, proving himself to those who thought he had declined post-head injury.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was goalkeeping, but not the best of all time. From the ones I've seen, this is the best:

Seaman's save is also amazing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

What about this one?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziziii)
    that one David Seaman save on the line was as good. but yes, a very, very good save by Cech!

edit:
    THIS ONE.
    :sogood:
    He even had the power to force it out!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnapAttackUK)

What about this one?
    Lol. Excellent.

+1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good save, but this season I'd have to say De Gea's against Chelsea has been the best:

• 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, football only exists in England, OP?

Ignorance is bliss.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Part of my rational was that it was in a cup final. I've seen Reina, De Gea, Casillas and Buffon all made similar if not even better saves but in a lesser occasion. That save was as good as a goal for us. We were flagging and they could well have gone on to win if that had gone in.

Zidane's goal in the 2002 CL final is widely considered the best Champions league goal due to the sheer class and the ocassion, and similarly Maradona's second against England in '86 is ranked amongst the best ever, even though the likes of Messi, Ben Arfa and Neymar have produced similar efforts in domestic leagues.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziziii)

edit:
    THIS ONE.
    I don't want to take anything away from Seaman, because it was an outstanding save, but does anyone else think that if Mr Karen Brady hadn't of touched it, then it would have easily gone in?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    It was goalkeeping, but not the best of all time. From the ones I've seen, this is the best:

Seaman's save is also amazing.
    That is crazy good. Cech is very consistent as well, and has been making a very good save in like his last 10 games. Obviously trains v.hard to be so consistently good.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Gotta love this one

And this was a good save for about 2 seconds
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)

Ignorance is bliss.

Awesome video. Amazing that someone of Buffon's height can get down so quickly to make instinctive low saves. An outstanding European keeper of the last decade plus, shame never came to England. Casillas would probably get a mention - remember the save he made against Sevilla.

Seaman save is one of the best FA Cup saves, the way his body was and to claw it back. Cech's was a good save but I would have expected a keeper of his experience to save that.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)

Ignorance is bliss.

Canizares is my favourite goalkeeper of all time. The videos I linked were just the first few I could think of. Casillas has made some walk on water saves as well.

That last Buffon save is astonishing actually. I'd never seen that before...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    RENE HIGUITA

Seaman's save is for me the best ever though. He shifted his weight like a fishtailing Land Rover Defender and it was breathtaking when I saw it.

I've never seen what's remotely special about Banks's myself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was a good save by Cech but I don't think it was the best there's ever been. Andy Carroll could have done slightly better with the header too.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.