Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FA Cup final: Petr Cech - best save of all time?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnapAttackUK)

What about this one?
    I had a £20 bet on with someone for Ghana winning that game - I definitely remember it!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Banks would like a word OP.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic save.

Not even his best ever though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not even close.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it was a goal

to the people negging this check the picture only 2 posts down
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    it was a goal
    The whole of the ball didn't cross the whole of the line

No goal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnapAttackUK)
    The whole of the ball didn't cross the whole of the line

No goal
    how to i upload a photo onto here as i have a picture which proves it did

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	539896_10150788623706985_646206984_9866436_123322849_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	146021
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    how to i upload a photo onto here as i have a picture which proves it did

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	539896_10150788623706985_646206984_9866436_123322849_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	146021
    You can't see the whole of the ball in that pic, some of it is hidden by the post
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    Gordon Banks would like a word OP.
    Gordon Banks got a link in the initial post boss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you see better saves every other week in other top leagues of football such as la liga, serie a, bundisliga etc

but ofc when youre limited to only watching 5 or 6 games a year that come on itv then you make assumptions such as this one...best save of all time lmao...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco Ben)
    you see better saves every other week in other top leagues of football such as la liga, serie a, bundisliga etc

but ofc when youre limited to only watching 5 or 6 games a year that come on itv then you make assumptions such as this one...best save of all time lmao...
    I've watched every single PL match of the last 10 seasons (many live, the rest through highlights), the majority of big European games in the continent and the majority of European cup matches as well. I've been a Chelsea season ticket holder for 13 years and have been to almost all our away games in Europe this season. I've watched el Clasico 3 times live - twice in Madrid, once in Barcelona, as well as Milan vs Juventus and Milan vs Inter at the San Siro.

I know more about football than you can conceivably imagine and have even got a few things published for the Telegraph. Like I said I'm a goalkeeper myself and I know the difference between a world class save and one you'd expect any keeper worth his salt to make. ALSO as I said the difference between this save and any other match in La Liga or Serie A was that it won the game and the FA Cup for Chelsea and hence was a hell of a lot more important than any of the others. Now jog on pondlife.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    It was goalkeeping, but not the best of all time. From the ones I've seen, this is the best:

Seaman's save is also amazing.
    I remember those days when Coupet was around :coma:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    People got distracted by the fact that it was so close to being a goal, but for me the fact that it didn't makes this the best save I've ever seen.

I certainly reckon it's up there with Seaman and Banks just for the stunning reflexes needed to turn a header like that out from under the bar as well as the prestige and importance of the occasion.

I've linked the video as well as some other very credible candidates.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqm...led-goal_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjO4C6tbWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-Pm...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqwh...eature=related

For the record I'm a goalkeeper myself. Please discuss.
    An awesome save, but not one of the best ever.

I have, however, gone on record as saying it's probably up there with Montgomery's double save for Sunderland against Leeds in the FA Cup final (as one of the top saves in FA Cup finals) and I stand by that. But there's a lot more to world football than FA Cup finals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's still inconclusive from everything I've seen whether it was actually a goal or not; the frame they kept showing on ITV with the ball 3/4 over the line was like a millisecond after Cech had actually touched the ball with his hand, and also at an angle not in line with the goal line
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't call it the best save ever at all, great save, but nowhere near the best. Look at some of the stuff Buffon and Casillas have done over the years, or even some other Cech saves.

From personal experience, Artur Boruc has made some of the most incredible saves I've seen, especially in the Champions League for Celtic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEK_p...eature=related
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Peschisolido's header was tremendously weak for that Seaman one. He should not have been able to palm it out like that.

Banks' save is the one that always stands out for me.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a goalkeeper myself, but I don't think that ranks among the best saves of all-time - people are getting all excited about the fact it was an FA Cup final.

The best saves take balls as much as reactions or athleticism, which is why I'm such a fan of Kuszscak's save from Roberts a few years back.

I'm not saying it wasn't a very, very good save, but there's been a lot of those this season - Szczesny, De Gea, Hart, Foster, Krul, Al-Habsi and Mignolet have all made some top-drawer stops.

Another one of my favourites as an Arsenal fan was Fabianski's save in the League Cup against Wigan a couple of years back:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNkzREDD5DY
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    'best save of all time'

Don't be silly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it was surely one of the best saves ever probably. Could be an addition to the video below, but whether its THE best save, I personally wouldn't say. 4, 3, 2, and 1 in the following video are all so breath-taking saves!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 8, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.