Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to become a hedge fund manager/ IB

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do Economics, Geo and the 2 English at AS Level. What is the best uni and what course do I do? Also, how to I get to become a well paid labourer in one of these fields? What re extra things do i need to do/ What does being an IB an HFmangager involve? (like day to day)
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h.b123)
    I do Economics, Geo and the 2 English at AS Level. What is the best uni and what course do I do? Also, how to I get to become a well paid labourer in one of these fields? What re extra things do i need to do/ What does being an IB an HFmangager involve? (like day to day)
    Thanks
    The title and this bold bit does not add up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bascially i do geo, econ, 2 eng at as level and want to become a IB. What uni course and at what uni do i need to do and what extra curricular things do I need to do?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There isn't much in terms of extra curricular you can do at this age, getting into a 'target' uni is key to give yourself the best chance. In other words, be aiming for AAAA in your AS exams and aim for the same or higher in your A2s.

Course at uni is unspecific too, but make sure it's quantitative: Econ, Chem, Engineering & Maths are safe bets. You need to be aiming for Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick to be giving yourself a strong chance for IB.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    There isn't much in terms of extra curricular you can do at this age, getting into a 'target' uni is key to give yourself the best chance. In other words, be aiming for AAAA in your AS exams and aim for the same or higher in your A2s.

Course at uni is unspecific too, but make sure it's quantitative: Econ, Chem, Engineering & Maths are safe bets. You need to be aiming for Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick to be giving yourself a strong chance for IB.
    Just to provide the guy an easy to digest list
    1) Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial
    2) Practically any degree, but something with a bit of maths in it is a safer bet
    3) If you want to have a chance at the above universities, you need at least AAA
    4) Get some finance-related work experience (anything from accounting to M&A)
    5) If you want to be extra keen, invest on your own account

For now, basically the above and you're set for university.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get on the ****ing quantitative!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomasK)
    Just to provide the guy an easy to digest list
    1) Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial
    2) Practically any degree, but something with a bit of maths in it is a safer bet
    3) If you want to have a chance at the above universities, you need at least AAA
    4) Get some finance-related work experience (anything from accounting to M&A)
    5) If you want to be extra keen, invest on your own account

For now, basically the above and you're set for university.
    With a guide like this, I can't foresee any potential way this fine OP wouldn't make it to his desired position.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys that's really helpful. I don't do math at alevel. Is this a problem?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    With a guide like this, I can't foresee any potential way this fine OP wouldn't make it to his desired position.

Really brain-drained so not detecting sarcasm well. And if it wasn't sarcasm (doubt it), then seriously? Every second person applying to FO IB roles has the listed credentials, the above should be more of a given rather than something to get yourself distinguished from the rest. And if it was extreme-sarcasm then my apologies.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The title and this bold bit does not add up.
    You misread. What he actually said is "I want to make lots of money".
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really brain-drained so not detecting sarcasm well. And if it wasn't sarcasm (doubt it), then seriously? Every second person applying to FO IB roles has the listed credentials, the above should be more of a given rather than something to get yourself distinguished from the rest. And if it was extreme-sarcasm then my apologies.
    You must be quite tired, I didn't think I disguised it that well
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys that's really helpful. I don't do math at alevel. Is this a problem?

Yes. Sort it. Anyone saying it doesn't, doesn't take maths either. You can self-study it I should think (I am next year) and not only does it show initiative & independent study, but it makes your UCAS application much better for top universities.

In fact, Further Maths is considered a pre-requisite apparently too. Someone else will have to confirm this though as I'm not really too sure. (Do I have to self-study FM next year too? :confused: )
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Few people actually become an investment bank.
    Hedge fund manager, you gotta raise capital, hire traders and then you're set. You can manage your hedge fund.
    If you want to become and investment bank, you hire a bunch of investment bankers and then you're set and can let them get busy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does being an IB an HFmangager involve? (like day to day)
    Thanks
    10 wake up, 1030 breakfast is served to you (occasionally you eat out), 11 drive your ferrari to work, 12-14, long boozy lunch with client, 14-16 read the ft, then you're free but most people play golf and frequent gentlemen's clubs

hope it helps

if your an investment bank the lunch is one hour longer
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    10 wake up, 1030 breakfast is served to you (occasionally you eat out), 11 drive your ferrari to work, 12-14, long boozy lunch with client, 14-16 read the ft, then you're free but most people play golf and frequent gentlemen's clubs

hope it helps

if your an investment bank the lunch is one hour longer
    You must be a **** HF manager if your commute to work in a ferrari takes an hour. Take the helicopter and you can free up the hour for secretary banging.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    Few people actually become an investment bank.
    Hedge fund manager, you gotta raise capital, hire traders and then you're set. You can manage your hedge fund.
    If you want to become and investment bank, you hire a bunch of investment bankers and then you're set and can let them get busy.
    I read that thinking wtf, "become an investment bank"??, but then i read the OP. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    You must be quite tired, I didn't think I disguised it that well
    2 words - Exam Period. :/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.